Help with finding places to go

Titan31

Hello, i'm new to metal detecting. I have 5 acres that I am searching, but am interested in finding other places.Is it ok to walk along state roads detecting? What about parks, bal field etc.? I just feel weird going to a place I haven't asked permission, and wouldnt know who to ask if I wanted to..I'm in Georgia.Is it ok to use metal detectors or will people call the police on you? Just want to find the best route to go about finding other places.

Thanks

Ryan

Hunting public parks, schools ,etc is ok in most areas. You need to check local laws though. You could call or E-mail your local parks and rec dept to be sure.
Just be sure to practice good digging techniques so it looks like you were never there. Good luck and have fun.
BTW, welcome to the friendly forum.
Keith

I am going to suggest a couple of books for you to look over when you have time. If I only had two books in my library, these would be the two. Both books have extensive reference lists for you; so you can follow up on your choice of treasure hunting. The first is The Treasure Hunter's Handbook by Andy Sabisch. the second is The Urban Treasure Hunter: A Practical Handbook For Beginners by Michael Chaplan. Hope this helps you out over the next few months.

Of course, if you have questions, post them. the quality and depth of expertise on this forum is phenomenal.

HH,

Dave

Howdy

Howdy,
I've only been detecting about a year now,
But this is what i did/ do.

I contacted , on the phone ,
National Forest,
B.L.M.
N.R.C.S
County Parks (we dont have a city, well we do ,but its a County ??)
and the guy that actually works in the parks.
and the Local Police ,

I pretty much got permission from everybody.
But I wrote all theyre names and phone numbers down in a little tally book.
Along with phone numbers for other areas that I might be passing through.

I keep that book in my "GO BAG" so, if ever , someone stops me , I can prove I researched, and if need be , we can call that person right now.

It seems to me , that with so many people in Govt type work, a feller needs to be able to prove himself on the spot.

And all it takes is a bit of phone work.

Yeah, I'm a firm believer in getting permission.
I'd hate to get fined or lose my detector , while out having fun.

Good Luck to ya,
Dusty

Back
Top Bottom