Halves at banks

Donneybrook

Elite Member
So a few times i've gone to the bank and asked if they had any rolls of halves and they never have. I don't have enough money for a $250 box or whatever it is, so i was wondering, how often do banks have rolls? Should i ask also if they just have unrolled halves?

Thx

Donney

Never ask for rolls of halves. Because 4 out of 5 times the bank wil have to order them.

I always ask if they have Half dollars. Usually they don't have any but sometimes that have clad half dollars.

Donneybrook, KT is surprized! You are a regular visitor of His Highnesses threads discussing His weekly recovery. KT was sure you knew a box was 1000 halves for $500 cost....KT apologizes for not educating you better! ;)

And why is it out of your realm...remember you still have the money...its just halves, not paper! :D

I know my banks search the rolls. Was gonna order boxes. But why would I help a bank employee get easier access to silver? 100% guarantee they'd search any I ordered. Girl I deal with said her dad has 5 gallon buckets of silver coins. I know the rolls I get the coins are all facing the same way. And the rolls of bicentennials will have a mark as well. You got a better chance of winning the lotto than pulling any silver out here.

I know my banks search the rolls. Was gonna order boxes. But why would I help a bank employee get easier access to silver? 100% guarantee they'd search any I ordered. Girl I deal with said her dad has 5 gallon buckets of silver coins. I know the rolls I get the coins are all facing the same way. And the rolls of bicentennials will have a mark as well. You got a better chance of winning the lotto than pulling any silver out here.

Well KT should start playing the lottery, he kicks butt on silver halves! :)

Donneybrook, KT is surprized! You are a regular visitor of His Highnesses threads discussing His weekly recovery. KT was sure you knew a box was 1000 halves for $500 cost....KT apologizes for not educating you better! ;)

And why is it out of your realm...remember you still have the money...its just halves, not paper! :D

Haha, You've taught me a great deal :) About the money, since i'm 15, I do not have a job nor anywhere near $500. That's why i CRH pennies and nickels or an occasional dime or quarter roll. The only times i've ever gotten actual boxes of anything was recently when i got 2 boxes of pennies. But I would love to hunt halves on account of the high amount of silver you pull out. Like you said, I'm not losing money, its just in a different form of currency :)

Any time when you go to any bank, ask to speak to the head teller, and ask if they have any rolls of old coins, and of the type you are looking for. To order a box of halves, most of our banks, will only order two boxes. Each box is $500.00. Then after looking at all of halves, I spend the ones I do not want to keep. It's fun to leave as tips, of buy small things at stores. I do this so as not get them back when I want to order some more. But I have found many rolls at banks without having to order them, because many banks order them just before a holiday. Many people want them to give as gifts. Like Christmas, birthdays, Easter, and others. Just go searching banks, when on trips out of your area. Good Luck. Banks do not have the time to check rolls of coins. They only want to exchange them. Only a teller that wants coins or currency will ever look. I have over time made friends with tellers, and they have looked, and kept stuff for me. What do you have to lose?

Any time when you go to any bank, ask to speak to the head teller, and ask if they have any rolls of old coins, and of the type you are looking for. To order a box of halves, most of our banks, will only order two boxes. Each box is $500.00. Then after looking at all of halves, I spend the ones I do not want to keep. It's fun to leave as tips, of buy small things at stores. I do this so as not get them back when I want to order some more. But I have found many rolls at banks without having to order them, because many banks order them just before a holiday. Many people want them to give as gifts. Like Christmas, birthdays, Easter, and others. Just go searching banks, when on trips out of your area. Good Luck. Banks do not have the time to check rolls of coins. They only want to exchange them. Only a teller that wants coins or currency will ever look. I have over time made friends with tellers, and they have looked, and kept stuff for me. What do you have to lose?

By old coins do you mean rolls they've had for a while or might hold old coins?

Haha, You've taught me a great deal :) About the money, since i'm 15, I do not have a job nor anywhere near $500. That's why i CRH pennies and nickels or an occasional dime or quarter roll. The only times i've ever gotten actual boxes of anything was recently when i got 2 boxes of pennies. But I would love to hunt halves on account of the high amount of silver you pull out. Like you said, I'm not losing money, its just in a different form of currency :)

KT is proud to know you, Donneybrook...YOU have a great start on a lifetime hobby, and as time passes and you get a bit older you will have plenty of money to play with on this hobby. KT will not always be hunting like He does now...Because He will soon retire, and when He does, He plans to spend some significant time travelling around, seeing the sites and doing some MDing whereever He happens to be...He will have to stop the CRHing during the weeks He is not in town, therefore right now, He is in his prime at hunting weekly....probably by this Spring, His Majesty will slow his CRHing pace....and pick up His MD pace...have been unable to hunt very much in 2013, but am trying to make up for that with the CRHing. CRHing is easier on an old guy who can't take heat as well as He could a few years ago. Once KT retires the end of November, He plans on getting in at least one half day MD hunt per week, although the Queen has a lot of things she wants The King to do around the Castle! HA HA

Most tellers and mngrs go through the loose halves that come in. I've been roll hunting since 1979, and I have never had a bank tamper with any of my boxes. If they did, they would get one warning and if it happened again I would cancel my account there. Just insist you want a sealed box and that should do it.

So a few times i've gone to the bank and asked if they had any rolls of halves and they never have. I don't have enough money for a $250 box or whatever it is, so i was wondering, how often do banks have rolls? Should i ask also if they just have unrolled halves?

Thx

Donney
You might have better luck opening multiple accounts at other banks. I have accounts at 6 different banks and CU's, which is not considered a lot. Some branches may not see halves all year, and others may get them in weekly. It's all hit or miss, and you have to be at the right place at the right time. Just ask for any loose halves on the line or in the vault. Most of what you get will be halves that other customers turn in and have already been searched. You never know...I have scored many solid silver rolls this way, it's entirely possible.

Most tellers and mngrs go through the loose halves that come in. I've been roll hunting since 1979, and I have never had a bank tamper with any of my boxes. If they did, they would get one warning and if it happened again I would cancel my account there. Just insist you want a sealed box and that should do it.

I'll give it a try. I have 3 bank accounts at different banks. One bank dumps any coins you turn in at the back. Any silver won't get past them. Another one the main teller collects all silver for her dad. She searches the cases of halves the bank keeps on hand. They tend not to search smaller denomination coins due to all the Canadian coins with shinny edges. Luckily I have a good dump bank with a coin deposit machine up front. Makes a lot of noise dumping $250 in halves at a time:lol:

As long as you get a sealed box, there's no way the bank has already gone through them.

I always get sealed boxes of dimes for two reasons, the first being that I know a couple of the tellers do check their rolls for silver and secondly it's just easier and faster for everyone to grab a box and fork it over. If I wanted an amount other than $250 they'd have to dig em out and count a million rolls, then I'd have to bag em up.

You might have better luck opening multiple accounts at other banks It's all hit or miss,

I'm too young to have an account, as previously said. I do have at least three banks i go too though. hopefully i'll get a hit sometime then :) So far i've asked i think four times and got nothing.

It completely depends on the bank. I just started CRHing last winter and view it as a winter hobby. A bit of what i learned from my limited experiance.
First just ask if they have any halves if you can't afford a whole box, and don't be afraid to accept the few loose ones they have in the drawer. I have found silver from the drawer and I've seen post of others that have.
Second and this may be tough for you if you're not driving yet is to hit the local bank that has been there the longest. Most people don't ever change banks unless they move so the oldest bank has the oldest customers and is more likely to get older change brought in. It's sad but if a person is on a fixed income and the price of gas or milk goes up they will roll up hoarded change.
Third is to hit banks in poorer sections of town if you can. In these areas money is money and it all gets spent the same. A person making minimum wage trying to feed two kids usually can't afford to have $50 in quarters laying around those are needed to pay bills and buy food. Also they are less likely to go to coin stores and whatnot to sell any coins they think are unusual.
Forth in these areas customer rolled is the way to go. Silver and wheat will be very streaky but when you hit you usually hit big.
Good luck and happy hunting.

I'm too young to have an account, as previously said. I do have at least three banks i go too though. hopefully i'll get a hit sometime then :) So far i've asked i think four times and got nothing.
Hmmm, I didn't realize there was an age limit. Both my kids age 9 and 12 have their own savings account.

Back
Top Bottom