cost of living.

metaladdict

Elite Member
I pay $3.55 a gal for gas this week how about you?
My 1947 2 bed 1 bath house could sell for $300,000! Or more
We were looking at houses on the computer for way cheaper in Georgia,North Carolina,Alabama,South Carolina. We are getting ripped off in California.

$8:44 per 5 litre's which is slightly more than 1 gallon. (1.09985).

One reason why I run a very small engine car. (1200 cc)

I pay $3.55 a gal for gas this week how about you?
My 1947 2 bed 1 bath house could sell for $300,000! Or more
We were looking at houses on the computer for way cheaper in Georgia,North Carolina,Alabama,South Carolina. We are getting ripped off in California.

$3.35 in Southern Oregon.
Metaladdict I totally feel for you. I just moved here from Southern California.. Housing prices are ridiculous.
BUT

If you do it right it will work in your favor.
I bought my house in So Cal in 2003 for 500k and sold it in 2017 for 900+k
took my 400k in Equity and bought my house here for pretty much cash..
Great house, great area, 5 acres and loving it.

I approached real estate like this..
Real Estate pretty much goes up a certain percentage every year. so buy a much, and as big as you can possibly afford.
so say a house purchased for 300k goes up 100 percent in 10 years, that's 300,000 profit,
say you bought a 500,000 house same situation.. then that's 500k profit.
the extra 200k Makes a huge difference.
bottom line, get in in So Cal and Get out to somewhere else.. although I do really miss So Cal

About 2.50 yesterday in southern Louisiana. Good thing--the Armada is thirsty beast.

Yep..downsizing right now...just sold the house...The idea is to maximize whatever amount of Life we have left by simply Living simply...I will say, I got lucky in Life so far...Avoided a lot of pitfalls, Great Wife of 40yrs, we can build or fix anything, relatively healthy comparatively speaking for people our age...(59me-69her)...No debt, no legal trouble, squeaky clean record....

Its very important in Life to be able to fix things around a house or car...a fellow will save himself several hundreds of thousands if he is handy and can keep a junk car running for years...I look at things as costing me DOUBLE the list price for my money earned and taxed...this kind of awareness makes a person frugal...

According to the general idea, I am not a rich man, no retirement savings worth a hoot, no investments...in 30 days we will be homeless...debt free and a little side jingle, but homeless none the less!

No biggie, seems I have a knack for finding food, I can catch and cook about anything...The greatest compliment my Wife ever paid me: "Well, no matter what happens, I dont have to worry about starving to death"...:laughing:

Attachments

• salmon 2011-2.jpg
    salmon 2011-2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 160
  • turkey.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 147
  • oct 23-17-1.jpg
    oct 23-17-1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 153
Real Estate pretty much goes up a certain percentage every year. so buy a much, and as big as you can possibly afford.
so say a house purchased for 300k goes up 100 percent in 10 years, that's 300,000 profit,
bottom line, get in in So Cal and Get out to somewhere else.. although I do really miss So Cal

Many, many people with this mindset lost big in the housing market crisis of 2008. This plan would have backfired if you couldn't afford your mortgage and had to relocate in 2009 or 2010. As long as you really CAN afford the house you buy and don't get caught up in some subprime or adjustable interest rate loan, then real estate can pay off as a good investment over the long run.
I'm more of the mindset of buying what you can comfortably afford. Not buy as big as you can possibly afford. Just my 2 cents.

I really like Northern AR or the SW Mo Ozarks...get snuggled down into a steep escarpment valley that has big old trees, (meaning no tornadoes rattle around in here)....A nice little creek flowing through full of crawdads and chubs...temperate...plenty to eat...

Skills carried in the head are a lot more important and lighter than gear or money in the bank...All a guy needs to survive is a few skills, a lighter, a machete, and a metal detector of course...

Paid $4.09/gal up her last night. Safeway points brought it down 10¢

Mountain “tax”, it’s probably 20-40¢ cheaper down the hill.

Hear you Metal, not enough equity in my home to move now. 10/8 year olds in school here. Not appreciative of CA political agenda either.

..If you can, make some big money in California, sell for a huge profit and get the hell out!...Go inland and/or North, do NOT ever tell anybody you are from California...Thats about it...The Wife and I Homeschooled, back in the 80's when it wasnt cool....had the 8yr old Daughter testing out at College level...

You can do it! My little Bro just sold everything and moved his Family of 5 kids to Laramie WY...loving it! Life is short, gotta cut and run sometimes....for the kids if nothing else...

Gas is about $3.80 a gallon down here south of the border. With all the reforms the government has made over the past few years things have gone way up in price every single year. The price of gas has almost doubled in these past six years.
Things like insurance, dental work and medical stuff are still way cheaper than in the US, but the day to day stuff has gone nuts at the supermarkets. I would say that most things I pick up at the supermarket have risen close to 50% in the past four years.

Paid $4.09/gal up her last night. Safeway points brought it down 10¢

Mountain “tax”, it’s probably 20-40¢ cheaper down the hill.

Hear you Metal, not enough equity in my home to move now. 10/8 year olds in school here. Not appreciative of CA political agenda either.

Not moving soon but thinking about an affordable place to retire to. California politics are lameo to put lightly!

Gas is about $3.80 a gallon down here south of the border. With all the reforms the government has made over the past few years things have gone way up in price every single year. The price of gas has almost doubled in these past six years.
Things like insurance, dental work and medical stuff are still way cheaper than in the US, but the day to day stuff has gone nuts at the supermarkets. I would say that most things I pick up at the supermarket have risen close to 50% in the past four years.

Ouch, sounds expensive. I only know English and a little German so won't be moving out of the U.S.A. I like warm weather so the south seems possible. Don't like snow.:D

$3.35 in Southern Oregon.
Metaladdict I totally feel for you. I just moved here from Southern California.. Housing prices are ridiculous.
BUT

If you do it right it will work in your favor.
I bought my house in So Cal in 2003 for 500k and sold it in 2017 for 900+k
took my 400k in Equity and bought my house here for pretty much cash..
Great house, great area, 5 acres and loving it.

My 30 year mortgage is only 780. a month so we can afford to live here now. My moms 3bed 2 bath house is worth at least 750,000! To 1 mill! Thats inheritance with my sister as long as she doesn't fight for all of it!:shock:
California is very expensive unless you have a high paying job. We in the Automotive business are way underpaid for all the new tech to learn and monkey with! The tools are priced out of reach! Sheesh!

Back
Top Bottom