Plastic Sand Scoop

RyanMB

I was wondering if a quality plastic sand scoop would be all right for dry beach sand? I am new and have limited money to spend on the hobby but don't want to buy something that won't do the job. Thanks in advance for advice.

For dry sand a plastic one should be fine. If you're going to hunt the wet sand, you should get yourself a metal one which lasts (will be costly though). I've taken the cheaper route and built myself a PVC scoop out of leftover 5mm PVC pipe from a previous project. I've used it many times on the wet sand with no problems. I've also got a handheld scoop out of the same 5mm piping which I use for shallow wading or when I go travelling (it's much smaller and takes up way less room in the car).

Thanks. I will be starting in dry sand. Eventually I would like to branch out but since I am spending more on a detector than I originally planned I can't really afford the expensive scoops.

Thanks. I will be starting in dry sand. Eventually I would like to branch out but since I am spending more on a detector than I originally planned I can't really afford the expensive scoops.

You can always dig with your shoes, that's what I did before I had a scoop. Just don't dig with your best shoes...they won't be looking good for long :laughing:

It will work fine in dry sand, I've used one for ages. The lip eventually wears down but you can run a file over it to take the burrs off, cheap and cheerful and light as a feather!

I carry mine in my garret carrot holster on my pouch belt (fits nicely) as I carry my pinpointer in my pouch.

It's this one, less than $9 on Amazon
https://amzn.to/2JtvyJI

It will work fine in dry sand, I've used one for ages. The lip eventually wears down but you can run a file over it to take the burrs off, cheap and cheerful!

I carry mine in my garret carrot holster on my pouch belt (fits nicely) as I carry my pinpointer in my pouch.

It's this one, less than $9 on Amazon
https://amzn.to/2JtvyJI

Awesome thanks. Thats actually the one I was looking at.

I use one of the yellow Wilcox scoops with the round holes. I think the green one in the Amazon link is a copy of that scoop.

I've dug a hundred holes with it. At least. I have it mounted to the end of an old shovel handle now, so I don't have to bend over. It works really well because sometimes I've got a kid in a backpack when I detect, so I had to come up with something.

Get an Amazon one and have fun.

Also, mine digs wet sand okay, but you gotta shake it hard to get the wet lake Michigan stuff to come through the holes.

There are some handheld metal scoops made for detecting. I attached one to a wood pole with heavy duty tie wraps and it saved some bending over.

That one on Amazon is the one I just bought. On its first outing, I rescued a dime from a sand tot lot. The scoop seems to be pretty sturdy, but I'd avoid putting stress where the handle and scoop body join. If I want to take a full scoop, I wear a glove and dig/lift with the scoop itself instead of wielding the scoop by the handle.

I made an aussi style scoop for $25. The poly shovels are available at feed stores.

A plastic scoop is available for like 3-4 dollars and you can drill 5/8" holes in it yourself. These kind of scoops are pretty popular.

I made an aussi style scoop for $25. The poly shovels are available at feed stores.

A plastic scoop is available for like 3-4 dollars and you can drill 5/8" holes in it yourself. These kind of scoops are pretty popular.

This ^^^^^ Spot On, on both counts ^^^^^ ;)

Back
Top Bottom