Coin-shooting in 1898

5 mile

Forum Supporter
Excerpt from an 1898 newspaper, interesting article when a coin was found.

Attachments

• IMAG0615[1]bb.jpg
    IMAG0615[1]bb.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 441
  • rew.jpg
    rew.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
Are you using a specific website to find these old papers? I'd love to find one of those fugios, but highly unlikely in Ohio.

This is what it looks like. US Fugio cent or Franklin cent.

Attachments

• us_fugio_cent_1787.jpg
    us_fugio_cent_1787.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
Are you using a specific website to find these old papers? I'd love to find one of those fugios, but highly unlikely in Ohio.

I find them online through library websites, digital archives. Another way is google digital newspapers from your area.

Not all libraries, newspapers and/or areas do this.

Depending on the shape and variety, which there are many including restrikes and fakes, legitimate specimens anywhere from hundreds to thousands to hundreds of thousands.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_of_New_York_Hoard

Thanks for the link, a quote from it reads:

Sometime in 1788, a keg of Fugio cents were acquired by the bank and

stored in the basement. The coins were forgotten about until they were

rediscovered in 1856, this time at the banks current location. At that time the

coins were placed in cotton bags and put away until a final rediscovery of

the coins was made in 1926.[1] The coins were then given out as souvenirs

and keepsakes to clients until 1948.

Kegs? Cotton bags? Souvenirs? Where's that time travel machine Mr Peabody?

That is a cool clipping and an interesting story. I learned about a coin I had never heard of before. Thanks for posting it 5 mile.

Depending on the shape and variety, which there are many including restrikes and fakes, legitimate specimens anywhere from hundreds to thousands to hundreds of thousands.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_of_New_York_Hoard

Thanks for that link, on that link it included -

"The bank kept 819 of the remaining coins which range in grade from mint state to corroded due to past water damage while in storage. Despite the merger which led to the banks closure in 2007, it was reported in 2013 that the coins still remain on the property. The owners have refused to distribute the remaining coins, and have kept them for historical value and appreciation."

.....could you imagine the value if even only 10% of those 819 are in mint condition ?

Thanks for that link, on that link it included -

"The bank kept 819 of the remaining coins which range in grade from mint state to corroded due to past water damage while in storage. Despite the merger which led to the banks closure in 2007, it was reported in 2013 that the coins still remain on the property. The owners have refused to distribute the remaining coins, and have kept them for historical value and appreciation."

.....could you imagine the value if even only 10% of those 819 are in mint condition ?

I can imagine.............thats about all I can do..........I can also imagine the cotton bag they were stored in with a little bitty hole in it :D

Thanks for the link, a quote from it reads:

Sometime in 1788, a keg of Fugio cents were acquired by the bank and

stored in the basement. The coins were forgotten about until they were

rediscovered in 1856, this time at the banks current location. At that time the

coins were placed in cotton bags and put away until a final rediscovery of

the coins was made in 1926.[1] The coins were then given out as souvenirs

and keepsakes to clients until 1948.

Kegs? Cotton bags? Souvenirs? Where's that time travel machine Mr Peabody?

Read the same thing on Wikipedia...wonder how many of those things fit in a keg...:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom