Unexpected 1790's Spanish Silver and 1818 Large Cent

GKman

Forum Supporter
Today I visited the farm that has been oh so good to me over the years. Being that the fields are high though, I decided to try some of the trails through the hills that the cows have trampled down over the years. I know I had detected through this area years ago, but with the ground cover much less (lots more cows than there used to be) , it was worth giving it another try. My first notable find of the day was an 1818 Large Cent. out in the middle of nowhere. I was fairly certain it was going to be a coin, but, since they have logged the area and I was off the beaten path I was expecting modern coinage.
Feeling pretty good about that find I set off again walking through the woods near the electric fence that now wreaks havoc with the CTX regardless of any setup that I try. The next signal, a couple of hundred feet away, and really the only signal in between was iffy and difficult to hear because of the fence interference. But, never leave an iffy target behind... My first poke of the Lesche revealed a very thin silver, and some of you know what that probably means (in case you don't, Spanish Silver).... I started filming and got the rest of the recovery recorded. That coin ended up being a 1790's 1/2 Real.
Both of these coins were unexpected finds that made the day. It was a bit odd to find only early coins, and no other trash to speak of, especially so far apart. The area definitely needs to be explored some more.
You could check out the video here....
Digging Spanish Silver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr4TFQynMCE&feature=youtu.be

Thanks For reading..
HH

Attachments

• mesilver.jpg
    mesilver.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 496
  • MeLC.jpg
    MeLC.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 485
  • SSO.jpg
    SSO.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 477
  • SSR.jpg
    SSR.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 487
Awesome finds! Congrats on the spanish silver and the LC! Definitely need to hit that area some more!

Absolutely amazing coins! The envy I have for you New Yorkers and all that history gets greener every time I see more coins I'll never lay eyes on! Congrats.

Excellent finds! :cool:

It's often amazing when ancient coins come up shallow.
This spot looks like it was on a slope too.

Keep us posted on the fun.

Awesome find! (and location)....... I have had the same experience with my CTX and electric fences, it's enough to drive you crazy :grin:

the one good thing about NY

Sweeeeeeeetttttt score !!!!!!!!
So the Spanish was right on the surface or just below?

Not unheard of I guess to find oldies on the surface......my friend just scored a largie on the surface.......

That is a little positive attribute of our state, the possibility of scoring pre civ coins.........I shouldn't have said anything, now there'll probably be a metal detecting tax..........

I was fortunate to have found a half reale way over here in WNY......I was super happy , but it wasn't a 1700s coin to fill that spot on my BL.......

Big congrats again........I'm pretty sure you'll score a few others on that property.......

Oh yeah , I feel your pain about the power line interference......It killed my ATP as well........but my buddy says it has no affect on his ETRAC !!!

Sweeeeeeeetttttt score !!!!!!!!
So the Spanish was right on the surface or just below?

Not unheard of I guess to find oldies on the surface......my friend just scored a largie on the surface.......

That is a little positive attribute of our state, the possibility of scoring pre civ coins.........I shouldn't have said anything, now there'll probably be a metal detecting tax..........

I was fortunate to have found a half reale way over here in WNY......I was super happy , but it wasn't a 1700s coin to fill that spot on my BL.......

Big congrats again........I'm pretty sure you'll score a few others on that property.......

Oh yeah , I feel your pain about the power line interference......It killed my ATP as well........but my buddy says it has no affect on his ETRAC !!!

Thanks, just barely below the surface.

Back
Top Bottom