Is This A Gold Nugget?

Dan48

Went out hunting a park in Iowa yesterday and found something that looks like it might be gold. Experts please chime in and share your thoughts.

Also found a seated dime and a few wheats and injuns. Weird as I wasn't having any luck finding silver this day but have found several barbers and mercs here in the past. Weird part was my mind was drifting as I was swinging away and briefly touched on the fact I'd never found a seated here before... Boom, next dig was a seated!

Not the first first time weird coincidences have happened to me in this hobby. One night before I went out hunting, I dreamt I found a war nickel and sure enough, the next day I did. Other times too, almost as if there's a spiritual connection but maybe just magical thinking on my part.

H/H

Dan

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 626
Another photo...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 512
Looks like a nugget to me! Wow, congrats!

Whatever you do with it, don't melt it down, its worth more as a natural nugget. Find an area scrap yard that has an XRF device, have them do a check on it. Note the metals and their percentages and maybe you can identify the region its from, if it was a lost import.

Thanks everybody for the responses. I'm going to try and find a local scrapyard that has one of those xrf machines, maybe bring it down to my friends coin shop. I think he used to pan for gold so maybe he can help.

I'll update when I find out one way or another.

Happy hunting you all.

Wow... That looks really good! I hope it is, that thing has some character!

How much does it weigh? Is it heavy? Take it to a jewelry shop and ask if they could test it for you. I'm sure any will out of curiosity.

Wow... That looks really good! I hope it is, that thing has some character!

How much does it weigh? Is it heavy? Take it to a jewelry shop and ask if they could test it for you. I'm sure any will out of curiosity.

It is heavy for its size and doesn't react to a magnet. That's the best I can do until I have it looked at by others with more experience.

I'm really hoping it is gold. Love to cross it off my bucket list! Heck, never even thought to include gold nugget on my list! I was digging for a gold ring (digging everything) for myself when I found it.

Looks like it to me, and a nice one at that! Congrats on both that and the seated!

IDK, the shape of it seems good for a nugget but IMO the color doesn't, seems like brass. Curious to find out though!

IDK, the shape of it seems good for a nugget but IMO the color doesn't, seems like brass. Curious to find out though!

I think you might be right. I'd forgotten a simple test I learned when I found my first fake gold ring. It involves rubbing the metal between your fingers and checking for a metallic odor. Unfortunately, this piece has one... Bummer.

Still bringing it in to my friends coin shop just in case. Will update if anything changes.

H/H

Dan

Cool.
What did it ring up on the CTX ?
And how deep was it ?
Hope it is gold. good find.
Bob

Never seen brass come from the dirt looking that nice...

Was it on top or in the ground?

I really like the color in the first picture, is the color more like the first picture or second?

<°)))>{

I was going to say that the color looked a little off in the second picture but who knows it could be good.

Its nothing but a brass brazing scrap!...put it in an envelope and send it to me...I find a ton of those per year and give all the ones I find to the Ronald McDonald house...I'll send you a wheatie as a token of our appreciation...You are a good man!:laughing::laughing:
Mud

Its nothing but a brass brazing scrap!...put it in an envelope and send it to me...I find a ton of those per year and give all the ones I find to the Ronald McDonald house...I'll send you a wheatie as a token of our appreciation...You are a good man!:laughing::laughing:
Mud

This

Back
Top Bottom