RKI on metal detecting in NY State

Sxp1

Started doing some research on NY regulations regarding metal detecting. Any information I need to be aware of would be much appreciated - trying not to miss anything.

Started doing some research on NY regulations regarding metal detecting. Any information I need to be aware of would be much appreciated - trying not to miss anything.

You need to be specific on what type land you're thinking of, in New York. Eg.: city lands? County land ? State land ? Federal land ? And even THEN there's sub-categories. Like various types of federal land (NPS, BLM, NFS, etc..), and various types of state land (state parks, [of which beaches are often treated differently than in-land parks], road right of way, eminent domain vacant stuff, etc...).

And for each individual city, it's rare that there has ever been any form of "no detecting" rules made. Like in my entire state of CA, I can think of only 2 cities that really have a true "no md'ing" rule (actually codified and in print). And same for permits: Rare that any city ever dreamed up such a thing. Just a few larger cities.

And once you've confirmed that whatever place(s) you have in mind don't have any true "no md'ing" rule/law, still doesn't mean you should throw caution to the wind and waltz around with shovels. I mean, anyone can still gripe and say you're bothering earthworms, or can assume you "might be about to leave a mess". So if you're talking small town turfed parks , you still need to use some due discretion/timing [low traffic times and avoid busy-bodies].

So be a bit more specific on where you're thinking of going.

Back
Top Bottom