Metal Detector Finds Mortar Round

Stevek

This article was in our paper, thought you might be interested in it and the pic.

Enjoy SteveK

Mortar shell unearthed at Riverside State Park

A Fairchild Air Force Base explosives team removed a buried and rusted mortar round from Riverside State Park on Sunday after a Spokane man reported finding it with a metal detector.
The 60-mm illumination round, which Fairchild officials guessed was about 40 years old, was likely dead because moisture had seeped inside the cracked casing, said Joe Wiles, a Fairchild spokesman.
However, the fuse was still active, he said.
"They brought it back to the base where they will safely store it until they get permission to destroy it," Wiles said.
Jeff Swennumson found the round about a half-mile down Inland Road from Riverside State Park's off-road vehicle park on Saturday, he said.
"I only uncovered it enough to get a good look at it. 1 didn't want to deal with the business end of the thing," he said.
On Sunday, he showed Spokane County sheriffs Deputy Jack Rosenthal where to find it.
Rosenthal said the Sheriffs Office refers all such calls to Fairchild's Explosive Ordnance Disposal team, which handles military munitions.
- Alison Boggs

Attachments

• mortar.jpg
    mortar.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 16,917
:shock:The find would surely have been the end of my MD'ing hobby!!!!

Having some experiance with that stuff I never dig an over load tone. Or a tone that I still get 2 feet over a signal. Too much artilery rounds and stuff around. :wow:
(it could just be my 24 years in the army or a couple trips to Iraq that make me that way....)

Back
Top Bottom