Advice on FamousTrails?

kenclark

Hey everyone!

New to the board and the hobby as of today.. thought about it for a while. Me and my 5 year old just spent an hour in the back yard digging up nails and old match box cars. He loved it and didn't want to take a break.

With regard to the detector I bought... Researched a little bit by looking at on-line reviews. Went to the local Big 5 Sporting Goods...

Was kind of leaning toward the Garrett or Bounty Hunter... got there and all they had was the Bounty Hunter VLF (the website I looked at rated a 505... is this the same?) and a couple of Famous Trails. I can't find ratings at all on FamousTrails though. I bought the MD1023 with waterproof coil.

Bought both... they were on sale (total came down from $429 to $200 for both).

Any thoughts or recommnedations?

Never heard of Famous Trails but if you already bought it.Have fun with it!
If you like the hobby and want to up grade in the future,check around here first before investing.There are many many detectors out there to choose from.Many not so good to many very good.There is alot of knowledge on this site.Read it,use it.Have Fun!

Congrats on the new machine, and welcome to the forum. The major thing to remember is patience. Take the time to fully learn your machine, and what it is telling you. Become one with your machine, and the good finds will come.

Back from the park...

Just took our first trip to the park... walked the sand while my kid played...

Came up with about a dollar in change... nothing earth shattering... but fun!!!

Welcome to the forums and metal detecting. I am glad whenever I see a family hunting together. Getting the kids involved is jut whatthis hobby needs. THANKS !!!!!
:grin:

Hey Ken.

Sorry I wasn't in town to see your post when it was fresh. I have a Famous Trails unit. My wife bought it for me for Christmas three months ago and she ruined me!

Unfortunately, after a lot of research I can tell you that the Famous Trails units are made in China, their (mine, anyway) adjustable discrimination does nothing at all and, when run side-by-side against my new Garrett Ace 250 it instantly became a door stop....

Sorry, but if that's the catalyst YOU need to get into this great hobby, roll with it! It worked that magic for me.

OH

Back
Top Bottom