Travelling with gear by air

beachdude

Elite Member
A month or so before I head down to South Africa, and I have been getting all my gear together for the trip. Normally I travel with a pair of hard shell suitcases and split my gear between both.

On my side trip to Mauritius I can only take 1 bag so I am looking for a solution that can accommodate my gear and a few clothes for the trip. This year I will be travelling with longer items - full length carbon fiber detector shafts for example...

I found a hard shell bag, meant for snowboards or skis, that might work. There is a shop here in Toronto that carries them so I will journey uptown to see what they are like and if one would suit my purpose...

How do you guys travel with gear?

take detector shaft apart. Tape that to the shovel pole. Everything else into a backpack. Might have to shrink wrap it or sth to get it on a plane.
This is the minimum.
Sometimes take a suitcase with wetsuit/waders and carry the sifter over my shoulder.

I would suggest leaving the long carbon fiber rods at home and get a multi piece aluminum uppers for traveling. Carbon fiber is great as it's lightweight and doesn't corrode, but it can be easily damaged and can't easily be repaired (Something that's important when you're in a place where parts probably won't be available).

Back
Top Bottom