Need advice on a purchase

JeepinCO

Hi,

I'm new to the Metal Detecting community. I'm looking to get a metal detector soon. I'm trying to stay under $300 (based on amazon.com's prices) and so far I've narrowed my choice down to either a Teknetics Delta 4000 or a BH Land Ranger Pro, however I am open to suggestions if someone has another detector in mind that is $300 or less.

Lots of good options. Make sure you call some of the site sponsors. You'll get more bang for your buck.

If those are your two choices id go with the Delta and make sure you get the double D coil not the concentric coil. Better coverage etc. I'm sure one of the site sponsors will hook you up. I've used the Omega and liked it which is close as far as capabilities.

Also this may be important but make sure you get the right Delta 4000 as there are a few versions out there for added confusion

Ace 250 is a great starter / intermediate machine. I still take mine out for the fun of it.

Also don't be afraid to buy used off eBay or Craigslist. Generally they are hardly used machines where the buyer didn't find a ring in 15 minutes and got bored. I bought an xTerra 705 last year for a third of new. It was a Christmas present that never left the house. Take the savings and buy a GOOD pinpointer. It's as valuable as the detector. Good luck

For under $300 I would recommend a Eurotek Pro with the 11" DD coil. IMHO it is much better than the Delta. I would definetly get it from a sponsor and not as Amazon. Our sponsors are wonderful to work with.

Check the classifieds on the treasure forums. Buying a good used machine saves you $$. This way, if you decide that MD'ing isn't your thing, you won't be out a lot of money and you can get most of your money back when/if you sell. New metal detectors, for the most part depreciate quite a bit. There are good deals to be had on very nice machines if you are patient; some may have transferable warranty time left. It's your money, spend it wisely :yes: and remember, this is a hobby that can/will pay for itself over time.

I have owned a delta 4000 I've actually gone through 3 of them last year. It's a great little detector. The reason I went through 3 is I broke my first one returned it and then got the older model where the coil plugs into the box the newer ones screw into the box. The concentric coil works fine on it I have the dd as well and it seems the dd has some issues with the delta. Falses a lot and gives inaccurate numbers on the display. The concentric is better on that machine in my opinion. I wouldn't get an ace 250 the delta will blow the ace away any day of the week. I find there is more information in the tones of the delta over the 250. Also stay away from the delta package that comes with the teknetics pinpointer it's about $50 more and is totally useless it litterly needs to touch metal to soun off so you have to see the target with your eyes to get it to work pretty much pointless. I don't know about the other ones listed but as far as a 250, land ranger and delta I'd get the delta. Personally feel the ace is garbage if it's all you've ever known it's good but the delta is far superior. It's super fast and responsive and handles above average in the iron trash. The only real sacrifice is getting an accurate id past 5" is it's down fall. But tone is usually solid. Can't expect everything to be good. Before the garrett fan boys beat me up on the ace it doesn't even have a numbered vdi so you don't know what your digging the delta is more accurate above 5" then my at pro is all day any day you can bank on that!

The reason I was looking at the BH Land Ranger Pro is that is comes with a double D coil, vs the 4000 doesn't, but can be added on. Also, I'm looking at the Garrett Ace 350 with the double D coil.

I'd strongly recommend against getting the ace! No vdi means no idea what your digging! They are really over rated as far as I'm concerned. I sold my dd coil for mine to a buddy that has the delta as well. He loves it on his machine. Says he has no issues with it at all. What's the reasoning behind getting the dd? The lightning quick seperation of the delta makes it so the concentric works just fine with it. I honestly ran it for probably 200 hours and never had a problem with the coil. It is a great starter detector If you get hooked on the hobby you'll probably want to upgrade later anyway. I'd recommend getting a proper pinpointer over a dd coil anyday!

If you really want a DD coil the LRP, Euro Tek Pro and Fisher F2 should all be considered.
The Delta might work out fine, it is a cousin to the BH and Fisher units but I have read it is not quite as fast in the recovery area as the others and personally I just prefer a fast machine.

All of these have VDI numbers.
For the life of me I can't figure out why people who buy detectors with screens don't always opt for the ones with the most information available on that screen and not just icons.

I would consider the Fisher F2.

It is an affordable, easy to learn, fun detector to use. It takes no time at all to learn how to use it, and once you get used to the VDI and tones you will find more and more treasures.

You can use it to find relics, jewelry, coins. And let me tell you it is a coin killer. It will find you as much as some high end detectors. I have found coins to about 7-8"deep and some bigger things much deeper.

With 3 different stock coils available (4" 8" and 10") at a very reasonable price you will be able to detect anything.

Most of the sponsors on here have various F2 packages - check them out before you go to ebay.

All in all it is a very reliable, affordable and fun detector to use.

A couple of you mentioned the Teknetics Euroteck Pro with the double D coil, which I overlooked initially, but after looking at the online reviews I decided to go that route. Thanks for all of your input.

A couple of you mentioned the Teknetics Euroteck Pro with the double D coil, which I overlooked initially, but after looking at the online reviews I decided to go that route. Thanks for all of your input.

Great!
The hard part is over, now the fun begins.
You have a little learning curve to experience, there are basics that we all have to learn ABOUT detecting, and then there is the detector itself.
Some have very little problem, with a few there is some frustration, all of us have had to go through this in one form or another.
With patience, a good outlook and perseverance you can get over this beginning step quickly...and still have fun doing it and also while finding great things along the way.

Plenty of help here from other users if you ask, the amazing thing about this hobby and forums is how much info is shared between members.
It is like we all want you to do great right out of the gate...as long as you promise to post pictures of your finds.
We like pictures around here.

Good luck and have fun!

Ace 350

Hi,

I'm new to the Metal Detecting community. I'm looking to get a metal detector soon. I'm trying to stay under $300 (based on amazon.com's prices) and so far I've narrowed my choice down to either a Teknetics Delta 4000 or a BH Land Ranger Pro, however I am open to suggestions if someone has another detector in mind that is $300 or less.

I think the ACE 350 is a Strong Detector for the price
check out the Blog on my web site "Up grading"
Any questions give me a call

You will like the iron audio on the Eurotek Pro and the 11" DD coil separates really well for it's size. Good luck with your new machine and looking forward to your posts.

Back
Top Bottom