Garret AT Pro vs. AT Gold

microbio42

I'm wondering if it is really worth the extra money to get the AT gold rather than the AT pro. I like that it has a smaller coil, because I hunt trashy areas often. I like the price of the AT pro though. Any help with my decision would be awesome!

I'm wondering if it is really worth the extra money to get the AT gold rather than the AT pro. I like that it has a smaller coil, because I hunt trashy areas often. I like the price of the AT pro though. Any help with my decision would be awesome!

This has been greatly debated in the past. The answer sort of comes down to what and where you want to hunt. Although either machine is capable of many of the same things, there are subtle differences which can give you an advantage given your situation. i.e. If you're going to go anywhere near saltwater, then the AT-Gold is not recommended as it apparently has a very hard time with saltwater environments (not that the Pro is much better, but functional) or the AT-Pro is a constant discrimination machine where the AT-Pro possesses a "true" all-metal mode, which can help when hunting those very small targets, or low conductors. There are also other differences, but first let us know what your targets and environment is and that'll help with advice.
FWIW.

This has been greatly debated in the past. The answer sort of comes down to what and where you want to hunt. Although either machine is capable of many of the same things, there are subtle differences which can give you an advantage given your situation. i.e. If you're going to go anywhere near saltwater, then the AT-Gold is not recommended as it apparently has a very hard time with saltwater environments (not that the Pro is much better, but functional) or the AT-Pro is a constant discrimination machine where the AT-Pro possesses a "true" all-metal mode, which can help when hunting those very small targets, or low conductors. There are also other differences, but first let us know what your targets and environment is and that'll help with advice.
FWIW.

I mostly hunt old homesites, along creeks, old roads, maybe some beaches when on vacation. Most homesites I hunt are filled with so many iron targets that it is hard to hunt at times.. I live in oklahoma

I used an AT-Pro for about 3 years. Loved it, Used Whites MXT Pro exclusively last year. Bought an AT-Gold this year and so far this is what Ive learned in 5 trips out. AT-Gold has quite a different sound to it. AT-Gold LOVES nickels and pretty much anything in that mid range area. Iron disrim up to 40. AT-Pro you can discrim everything except 85 and up if you wish, AT-gold Nope. VDI numbers are the same for both machines tho. So for me, its getting used to the new sounds and trying to figure out the subtle audio differences between twist off beer bottle tops and a quarter and those 1" foil peel off tops from juice bottles and the like, You know, the ones that are white on top, silver on bottom and have a little tab to peel them off with. AT-Gold higher frequency by 3 khz. If you are happy with your AT-Pro just buy a 5x8DD coil for it with a cover and use that. AT-Pro I tried last year in Pensacola Florida. Once I got to the wet sand it was basically useless. Ground balance was WAYYYY up there and had to turn the sensitivity down three notches just to get it to shut up a bit. AT-gold? Presume about the same.

I have thought about adding a AT Gold to my stable but what it comes down to is do I really need one? For what I do, coin and jewelry hunting in the water, probably not.

4 seasons with 2 AT Pro's and I feel they they are still teaching me tricks on how to use them. Good hunting to you whatever you decide! :grin:

2014-7a.jpg

I had both at the same time for awhile..I preferred the ATP especially for the type of digging you do and spend a little of the extra cash on a 5x8 instead of getting the Gold.

I really saw little benefit in paying more for the ATG.

The ATP is a great machine as you probably are aware and you can do so much with it. Buy the 5x8 DD coil it will change your mind. I bought one and I have yet to put the old one back on. I did buy the Nel hunter coil for fields and presumably hunted out areas and the Nel does two thing for you..first it goes deeper than you have been before, crazy deep like 18" for me on a pea sized target also and this is the cool part because the Nel coil has extra shielding wrap in the coil and cable you can take it on the beach and it will be just fine. Me and two buddies bought the Nel coil,went to the beach and no chatter and hunted in wet and dry sand with no problems with depths nearing a foot with good repeatable vdi. Stick with your ATP and buy the coils that you need instead of jumping to something you ate unsure of.

In my opinion either would be good, but if you avoid salt water then I think the ATG would be best for relic hunting in trashy areas (granted my only experience with the ATG) comes from reading lots of material and watching multiple videos). If you go with the Pro then I definitely recommend getting the 5x8 coil too.

The ATP is a great machine as you probably are aware and you can do so much with it. Buy the 5x8 DD coil it will change your mind. I bought one and I have yet to put the old one back on. I did buy the Nel hunter coil for fields and presumably hunted out areas and the Nel does two thing for you..first it goes deeper than you have been before, crazy deep like 18" for me on a pea sized target also and this is the cool part because the Nel coil has extra shielding wrap in the coil and cable you can take it on the beach and it will be just fine. Me and two buddies bought the Nel coil,went to the beach and no chatter and hunted in wet and dry sand with no problems with depths nearing a foot with good repeatable vdi. Stick with your ATP and buy the coils that you need instead of jumping to something you ate unsure of.

I agree on the NEL coils on the 'Pro. I put a 15' Attack on for water hunting and the thing is amazing, way way deeper than stock.

So you recommend the smaller 5" x 8" coil, eh? I recently got an AT Pro and am debating buying a smaller coil for it at some point in the future. I do a lot of water hunting.

Nice finds

I have thought about adding a AT Gold to my stable but what it comes down to is do I really need one? For what I do, coin and jewelry hunting in the water, probably not.

4 seasons with 2 AT Pro's and I feel they they are still teaching me tricks on how to use them. Good hunting to you whatever you decide! :grin:

View attachment 311839

Nice finds and comments

AT-Pro

I think if your hunting a lot of Ponds and lakes go with the Gold.
If your more into coinshooting go with the AT-Pro

keep it simple
Have any questions give me a call

Back
Top Bottom