do you keep or spend your finds

seas1to2

I started detecting back in Nov. 2005 an have every coin an piece of jewelry I have found,( except 1 class ring ). I have no plans on ever spending or selling any of it. I have had offers on some of the rings but want sell them. I get ask this all the time while at the beach( do you sell all your rings for money) I tell them no an get a strange look, not in it for the money at all,just for the search an never knowing what might pop out of the ground. does anybody else save everything or do you sell an spend the coins that you find?

I've still got my jewelry and old coins but I'm sure I will eventually sell them. I put them on a shelf and I forget them. Rob

All of my coins from dirt digging (10 years) I still have but the trinkets that I saved like toys and stuff I gave away to friends children and such.

All my rings and jewelry from water hunting I have except for the ones my fiance and family liked... all my coins silver and old pennies I still have but the clad I stick in the bank...

If gold was to hit a 1000 an once I just might part with some of it...

For instance I took that ruby ring to a couple jewelers to get an idea what it was worth and one of them offered me $500 for it, I refused... I wasn't going to pay him $45 to appraise it so I asked him what he would give me for it... You have to figure the ring is worth at least double the price he was offering. I'm not the hobby to sell my stuff but.... its the only hobby that pays ;)

I haven't got much yet as I just started detecting a month ago.

My plan is to save all my clad and coins that wont increase in value too much. I will save until I have $50-$100 or so, then I will buy a gold nugget or something that will increase in value.

I am also not into the hobby for money, but I think it will be cool to save/buy gold with my findings.

Just my .2

The little cars I give to a special ed class; the jewelry that fits my wife , she keeps; the other jewelry I sell; the silver & wheats I put in the safe deposit; all the rest of the money I roll and put in the ck account and then send it to the Gospel Rescue Mission. Been doing this for 20+ years now. Steve in so az

I give a lot of it to land owners who's land I hunt. I also give it to people when they drop by. I sold some stuff on ebay like musketballs, crotal bells and some silver I cashed in when silver was high.

My son and I are trying too see how long it takes to fill an old Atlas Mason jar full of dug clad, after it is filled I'll probably give it to him. All of the odd junk and toys I find I put in a cardboard box to keep, but I can't explain why. Its like a small curiosity shop. What would I do with silver? Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to find that out as of yet.  :roll:

When I started out, I saved everything but the junk...reached the point where I had $100 or so in clad and memmies, I rolled it and put it in the bank...when the mayonaise jar was full of wheaties they went to the pawn shop , along with some of the class rings...rolled some of the silver and sold it on eBay...the wife got the diamond ring...still got about half a bankbag of silver , some of` the rings in the safe deposit, and the cannonball is in the hall closet . Roadrunner_426 Coinmaster

I save mine, due to I have so few, more nice rocks than clad.
I have a log of what I find ,where and when, I have regular haunts to. Because as some one on the forum said , no place is ever really tapped out. There can always be stuff off the beaten track.
Since starting I have gotten a huge agate collection though, which I am proud of. Some when cut will make really nice polished slabs, or jewelry quality small ones. When your watching the ground as you do while detecting, it is hard not to see the rocks that are collectable to, if your a rock collector also. smg

I cash in my clad and buy graded slabbed coins on ebay. I have some that have gone up 2-300% in the last couple of years. Cladius.

For the 1st 2 yrs I aved the clad and rings until I had enough to purchase my Minelab Excalibur. This being my 3rd yr will be saving up the clad (already @ $97.00 + the pennies to see how much I take in from the beaches I hunt. The finds will go towards my vacation in 07 to Alaska.

Vern2sjc

I plan on saving all i find and logging it.

I will eventually use all the money for a new machine.

I plan to make a extra house payment some day when I get enough clad built up. This will take several years I know since I try to only look at old abandoned site, but I still do find the newer clad in parks. HH

Fun and Profit :?:

Sell it to the highest bidder and go play bingo ( in the frozen part of the year ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll probably be selling off the 2, 14K rings I found in Seattle about a week back. Any ideas what I should be aware off so I don't get ripped off by a jeweler (pricewise) :?:

I wash up my clad and add it to my pocket change, roll it up once a month and add it to my beer, er rainy day fund, lol! Any real jewelry and old coins are kept, and junk jewelry goes to my daughter, if she likes it. If not, it goes out with the nails, and bottlecaps, and pulltabs, etc!

So far I have kept everything I've found and just keep dumping it into a wooden wine crate - Some day I know I will cash in the clad, probably sell the gold and silver too! I'm in no rush though. Like Craig, I'll probably wait till gold is a $1000 an ounce.

HH
PocketChange

Back
Top Bottom