Probably another can

steve in so la

Forum Supporter
A few years back I was detecting a large play sand area in an elementary school. Getting a fair amount of signals but then dug 2 coke cans in a row. The next signal was similar to the coke cans. I was getting tired & sweaty so I thought "the heck with it, probably another can."

I started to swing along my path but the thought kept jerking my conscience so finally I went back & dug it and it turned out to be this 1971 Eisenhower dollar coin !!

35210t0.jpg

Post up your experiences if you have had them.

The best discriminator is the shovel/Lesche I guess. Steve in so la

i hate cans. but love dollars. glad it was not a can.

Oldest coin- 1958 Wheatie

I've only dug one IKE Dollar and if I remember correctly it came up as a quarter/half. Congrats to you on the one you dug.....

Attachments

• IMGP0198.jpg
    IMGP0198.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 485
Same type of occurrence for me, dug up a blade off of a boat propeller then a couple of feet later hit another banging high tone that was the exact same VDI....almost didn't dig knowing it was the rest of the prop....finally talked myself into digging, I didn't even dig carefully just started chopping. ..was I suprised when not one, but two 71 Ikes popped out not three inches deep! Lesson learned!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was detecting a tot lot with my daughter and hit two Ike's a few feet away from each other! Fun day ! Happy hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_2245.JPG
    IMG_2245.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 390
I only found one so far. Thought I was digging a shallow quarter.

Attachments

• IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 365
Post up your experiences if you have had them.

The best discriminator is the shovel/Lesche I guess. Steve in so la

I was in the front yard of an abandoned 1920s home and thought for sure this 43 signal on the AT pro (low foil signal) was junk. I even turned away from it but went back to it since it was solid.

992aed5d9f3feaa2f6335ae94d832379.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those strong signals are often overlooked as trash. Glad you decided to go back for it. A while back, I was hunting my local school that I and hundreds of others have hunted. About two feet from a sewer manhole cover I got one of those "can" signals. Decided to dig it, just to get it out of the way. To my surprise, it turned out to be a Walking Liberty Half. Sure made a believer out of me. Thought about how many had passed it up as trash.:yes:

I haven't found one of the big dollars yet, just several Susan B's, Presidents, and Sockywhatys. I always dig out the cans just to clean the ground. I draw the line at iron.

I was hunting an early 1900s house site and had dug several of the old lead seals for the nails on the tin roof. By several I mean 25 or so. I was sick of digging them but the last one I dug turned out to NOT be a lead seal.

It was this. Probably one of, if not, the rarest find I have had in my 6 years of swinging.

Attachments

• 20160225_174105-1-1.jpg
    20160225_174105-1-1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 271
  • 20160225_190233-1.jpg
    20160225_190233-1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 268
I also walked away from this target 3 different times because I couldn't get it to pinpoint and it was a really crappy signal. I had dug 3 different plugs in a 1 foot radius but still could not find it. I figured it was just another 10 inch deep square nail. It finally ate at me for 15 or 20 minutes and I decided to go back and find out what it was no matter how hard it was to locate. Referring to the dime.

Attachments

• 20160316_165719_Richtone(HDR)-1.jpg
    20160316_165719_Richtone(HDR)-1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 247
I was in the front yard of an abandoned 1920s home and thought for sure this 43 signal on the AT pro (low foil signal) was junk. I even turned away from it but went back to it since it was solid.

992aed5d9f3feaa2f6335ae94d832379.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah! Those are the good stories. :) Way to go back and dig it!

Back
Top Bottom