Statistics anyone?

Digger-Dave

Forum Supporter
Does anyone keep records on their finds?

I started an Excel spread sheet back in 2012 when I first got into the hobby.

I keep track of the clad, silvers, wheat backs and other interesting coinage.

As of today, I've done 381 hunts netting $338.25 in clad, 5,757 coins, 52 silver coins and 246 wheat backs.

In the past season or two I have shifted over from killing the clad to hunting the older places. These are the colonial sites and woods hunts.

Does anyone keep records on their finds?

I started an Excel spread sheet back in 2012 when I first got into the hobby.

I keep track of the clad, silvers, wheat backs and other interesting coinage.

As of today, I've done 381 hunts netting $338.25 in clad, 5,757 coins, 52 silver coins and 246 wheat backs.

In the past season or two I have shifted over from killing the clad to hunting the older places. These are the colonial sites and woods hunts.

I've seen others here post spread sheet data. It's just too much work for me... As much as a I love digging, keeping a record of it is nightmarish me to :lol:

Funny clad to hunts ratio though. Almost a buck a hunt

After spending 20 years USN (communications) and having to document every thing that was done anything more than keeping track of dollars worth of clad and Gold finds is too much like Work for me.

I record my signature after every season...

And pay attention to my ratio of gold, silver and junker rings... Which is usually about 1-1-2

<°)))>{

I don't keep track, but I have kept all the good stuff I find interesting so far.

Do you mean any finds, like foil and pull tabs too? I've only been at this 3 months but I guarentee I've already found more pull tabs than a Coca-Cola factory.

I don't keep track, but I have kept all the good stuff I find interesting so far.

Do you mean any finds, like foil and pull tabs too? I've only been at this 3 months but I guarentee I've already found more pull tabs than a Coca-Cola factory.

Nothing but the interesting and "keeper" finds get recorded.

Records

I have a weekly planner where I recorded on the day of the month, pennies, nickles, dimes, quarters, half dollars, and dollar coins. Plus I record wheat, and silver coins, and any gold or silver jewelry. Yesterday I recorded 34 cents + 4 wheat, 01 nickle, 23 dimes, 3 quarters, and a 1962d, 1948p, 1944s, and # 150 fty a 1942p dime. And the address of the house where I found them. So yes, I keep a log of all my keepers.
HH everyone

I logged all my hunts back in 2012...In a spiral notebook.

I was out to get 10k coins in one year just stabbing clad....One old guy named Zeekeys put me up to it...:laughing: So I'd come home and list how many dollars, Halfs, Q's D's N's P's any jewelry that was gold or silver...its weight and K...any silver coins accidentally captured...any paper dollars etc...

Then I'd roll the total over to the next page so I could keep the addition right..It was interesting to see the progression and advancement with a goal in hand...It was a good thing to do...Yeah, I got a little over 10k clad coins for $805 or something like that...

A guy got very good at reading sites and super fast at target retrieval...It was fun to post about and the encouragement from the Forum Members to get the goal made it a group effort...!

Mud

Well, since you are making less than a dollar a hunt, I don't imagine the IRS will be too interested in your finds.:D

Interesting,,,

I won't do,,,sounds too much like work.

But for the folks that do,,, if it helps you,,go for it.

Well, since you are making less than a dollar a hunt, I don't imagine the IRS will be too interested in your finds.:D

yeah, I've seen news reports of professional panhandlers making a LOT more than that, so it's obvious that most detectorists are likely not in it just for the money.

(even though I'm sure all of us still hope for that big find :workforgold: :laughing::laughing::laughing:)

I try to keep track of each time I go out. Where I hunted and the detector and coil I used. I log the number of pennies, nickles, dimes and anything else. I keep silver and wheats separate. I also add pictures of interesting finds. This way I can look back and see which sites produce the most. This is a silver black onyx ring that I found yesterday.
Ag Ring.jpg

I started keeping a log book when I first started and still do. I keep track of where, how many hours, clad total and any interesting finds. Early on it was neat to see how my finds kept going up as I got more experience. I can go back and look over my finds and where I found them. I'm basically a park hunter and some parks are better than others. When I see a park that has given up Wheaties and a few silvers I go back over it. I can also see how long it's been since I searched a particular park, what it's given me in the past and how long it seems to take to get "re-stocked". It's also fun to look through when the ground is covered with snow.

Keeping track of the finds makes it interesting to look back at.

At the end of the season, I'll review where the best sites were producing the good stuff and interesting artifacts.

I had to adjust my signature today in 5 catigories . Always fun when you find a little variety . But yup that's how I keep my count . No fancy spread sheet or record but I bet in years to come I'll wish I had . I have kept all my finds in my short career so I do have my secret stash . Excluding clad .
HH , Dew
Don't wanna hijack but today's finds eclxcluding a zinker and a copper bar token for a free drink.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 146
I run a spreadsheet that tracks my hunts, it's not a lot of work at all, really. After each hunt I lay the finds out in the bed of my hatchback and snap a picture with my cellphone. Then I just bag up the finds and go off to the next hunt.

Data entry is simply a matter of flipping through my phone at the end of the day and looking at each picture for the day and counting the coins. There's very little actual data to enter.

Then if you want you can track hunts over time, finds by location, finds by time of year or whatever to get a sense of how you are doing. I get breakdowns by location, by year, and by month-and-year.

My metal detecting spreadsheet also writes the signature you see below. Every now and then I just copy it out of the spreadsheet and paste it here.

To date I am at 272 hunts since I started on 8/30/2014. I've found 5538 clad coins for a total of $419.48, and 20 silver coins for a total of $2.45 (face). I've found approximately $242.64 in precious metals finds (2 pieces of gold jewelry, 10 pieces of silver jewelry, the previously mentioned silver coins, etc.) for a total of $662.12 in finds. Most coins in one hunt was 84, average number of coins per hunt is 20.3.

EDIT: example photo

14100288_1424063560942233_7107212825987905918_n by Chuck S., on Flickr

Now that I have a CTX - YES because the machine does it for me. I keep track of all quarters, nickels, and jewelry I find. The machine records what it is (number) and location. I figure once I get a few hundred I can start to look for patterns in the areas of the beach that I commonly search.

If I had to do it by hand, no way. Too much work. But on the CTX is one press of a button.

Back
Top Bottom