Greetings!

ScoopO'Cheddar

I was told to introduce myself here. I've been a "lurker" for some time and figured I'd go ahead and create an account. Maybe I'll have a question for you all every once in a while.

A little background: I have a Fisher F4. I love using it on land and have found all kinds of neat things with it over the last couple of years, but I get nervous about taking it wading. Thinking of getting a machine for the water soon (freshwater). Probably a DetectorPro Headhunter Pirate Pro. I just need something reasonably priced that will allow me to wade as deep as I want and possibly survive a couple of accidental dunkings. So, if any of you have any experience with/useful info on the Pirate Pro let me know (beyond the specs listed on KellyCo and other MD sites).

Welcome from Wisconsin! I have an f2 among others and I really enjoyed using it and still like to pick it up and swing with it. I would take the control box off and put it in a bag and screw it back on. Tape closed the end around the wires and start wading. I never dunked it but didn't have any other way to get in the water. I also used it this way during light rains

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Welcome! I waded with an F70 for several years...it did the job and found some gold..Also hunted out in the rain with it with just a washcloth draped over the brains..not optimum or smart, but it was all I had at the time...

The danged thing never suffered a failure due to my stupidity...So I guess I'm saying you can do it with your F4 if you are careful and pay attention....

I got an AtPro and use that in the water now...
Mud

Welcome from Kansas. Good Luck and Happy Hunting. Cant wait to see pictures of your finds.

Welcome from Wisconsin! I have an f2 among others and I really enjoyed using it and still like to pick it up and swing with it. I would take the control box off and put it in a bag and screw it back on. Tape closed the end around the wires and start wading. I never dunked it but didn't have any other way to get in the water. I also used it this way during light rains

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Welcome! I waded with an F70 for several years...it did the job and found some gold..Also hunted out in the rain with it with just a washcloth draped over the brains..not optimum or smart, but it was all I had at the time...

The danged thing never suffered a failure due to my stupidity...So I guess I'm saying you can do it with your F4 if you are careful and pay attention....

I got an AtPro and use that in the water now...
Mud

I've used the "plastic bag over the control box" trick, and it definitely makes me feel better about wading with the F4 - especially when I'm in deeper areas where the water line is close to the control box. I guess I still have other reasons for wanting a 2nd machine that is better suited for wading...1) With the F4, plastic bag or not, I am limited to about 30" water depth. I'd like something that will allow me to wade as deep as I want - I can probably wade to about 60" given my height. And 2) It would be nice to be able to let my detector float at my side in case I need two hands for something, like holding my scoop with one hand and picking through rocks with the other, instead of having to hold onto my machine all the time so it won't drop.

So far I'm kind of liking the DetectorPro Headhunter Pirate Pro because it will allow me to do all of the above and is well within my price range, I won't have to carry around a million spare batteries (takes 2 9V rather than a bunch of AAs, and I use rechargeables so price of 9Vs isn't an issue), has volume control which is awesome, etc. I guess I don't feel like I need a LCD display and other misc. bells and whistles either.

Also light enough it can be used on land...in case I have a buddy without a MD or something happens to the F4.

Anyways, I'm still deciding. Maybe I'll change my mind.

Back
Top Bottom