New to the CZ 21

Grumpysrb

Forum Supporter
Bought a CZ 21, with 10.5" coil, about a month ago and have used it about 8 or 10 times, spring break, for around 25 - 30 hours.

Trying to keep this short. It's heavy. The coil weighing nearly as much as my entire AT Pro. Having the housing on the belt or chest mount helps, a lot. But, the cable is a little short. This causes the cable to tug on the housing connection when switching to the opposite side, if you don't move the mount to that side too. There is some tug with the chest mount if you kneel to recover a target and don't keep the rod in the right spot. I am still working on the no bending/kneeling method. A foot more cable would be great, And I'm only 5'6".

The depth is GREAT! I have gotten a Zinc Penney deeper than my shovel blade, 8 inches long. I dug a inch long staple today that was around a foot deep.

Pin Pointing is excellent. Gauging the depth is still a challenge for me. Basically shallow, deeper and very deep for now.

I haven't gone deeper than knee deep water because the water is still too cold for me. Although a few people are swimming. I have to replace the battery compartment door because it cracked at one of the screws. Not sure when because they only time I messed wth it was to plug in the batteries when I got it. Discovered it when I replaced them.

Below are the two rings I have found, so far. (both James Avery)I would have missed one with the AT Pro because it was much deeper than the ATP goes on our beaches here, wet sand and water.

Attachments

• 100_4088.jpg
    100_4088.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 543
Nice finds! I would recommend getting a straight shaft and mounting the box under your forearm. It helps to balance the weight if the coil, and no strain on the cables. For the most depth, hunt in all metal and switch to 0 disc to check targets.

Congrats on the CZ. I'm 5'10" and I have my CZ chest mounted. I don't understand how the cable is too short unless you have a lot of extra coil wound around the shaft. :?: I have never heard of that problem before.

Congrats on the CZ. I'm 5'10" and I have my CZ chest mounted. I don't understand how the cable is too short unless you have a lot of extra coil wound around the shaft. :?: I have never heard of that problem before.

I'm with Felix here. Run that cable straight up the back of the shaft.

I found the CZ was either most sensitive or the tone was deminishing after the first ten hours of battery use. Rechargeable batteries are a must. I went with this package of eight, 200mAh Tenergy rechargeables. I marked one set with a magic marker so I knew I was charging and rotating the same set of four batteries in and out of the unit.

Raider Regards,

R5

Yeah..run those cables straight up the shaft...hip mount the brains...I did this out of a trolling motor battery box...slipped a wide dive belt through the slots, and the wide footprint was comfortable and stable...Even added a Tall Mans lower rod with no cable binding encumbrances...I'm 5'10" on a good day....Nice Avery rings there!
Mud

Attachments

• harness 1.jpg
    harness 1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 485
  • harness 2.jpg
    harness 2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 495
  • harness 3.jpg
    harness 3.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 477
  • harness 4.jpg
    harness 4.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 494
I have the cable running straight up the shaft and taped. The cable tugging us mostly using the hip mount on one side and swinging on the other, switching hands to rest the other. There is sometime tug with the chest mount when I lay the machine down. Out of habit, using the AT Pro, I lay it straight down. But, if I do this with the CZ and kneel forward to recover a target I am moving further from the rod/arm cuff where I have the cable fastened. I have to learn to slide the rod forward when using the CZ. Or Fisher could add a little more cable, which would be great. I really don't know how a very tall person could use the machine without pulling on the cable constantly.

I have the cable running straight up the shaft and taped. The cable tugging us mostly using the hip mount on one side and swinging on the other, switching hands to rest the other. There is sometime tug with the chest mount when I lay the machine down. Out of habit, using the AT Pro, I lay it straight down. But, if I do this with the CZ and kneel forward to recover a target I am moving further from the rod/arm cuff where I have the cable fastened. I have to learn to slide the rod forward when using the CZ. Or Fisher could add a little more cable, which would be great. I really don't know how a very tall person could use the machine without pulling on the cable constantly.

I'm not familiar with the Fisher's, but with older Minelab Excaliburs the length of the coil cable often varied between machines. Perhaps you may have a shorter than normal cable. :?:

I have mine extended as far as it can go and the cable only 1 time and velcro it to help hold it in place. It is short thats for sure. And yes, the coil is a heavy beast. the 9" is very light in comparison. It's a great machine. Don't have any fear of it going under the water or hosing it down when you're done. It's a great machine!

You need a straight shaft bracket... you can find them on ebay.

I agree about the ATP. I hunted with the AT Pro first, but because deep items are faint, and there is faint chatter in pro mode, it encourages you to skip deep targets and only dig shallow targets. The CZ with boost cranked up is so much better.

Attachments

• cz.jpg
    cz.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 333
There ya go........ that was the first thing i noticed and im short. Im just not used to not having a wide swing with that short shaft. Never had an issue with the cable....... how about a picture of how you have it on the shaft? I guess i always compared it to the things i liked about the Xcal so never stayed with it.

Dew

Since getting the chest mount harness I have run the cable straight up the shaft and taped it. It works much better than the hip mount. I still get a bit of tug when I lay the rod/coil on the ground if I don't slide it forward, bringing the arm cuff to my side.
The little note in the instruction manual, CABLE STRESS: Damage to coil cable at housing connection is not Warrantable if a result of repetitive, excessive stress, has me a bit paranoid.

Attachments

• 100_4091.jpg
    100_4091.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 306
You need a straight shaft bracket... you can find them on ebay.

Just ordered one. $16 and free shipping. Worth a try. I can usually hunt with mine for a few hours without problems but if this makes it easier it will be well worth the money. I do not hip/chest mount because its a pain.

To the OP - as others have said, hunt in autotune then disc with 0. I crank my ground balance/sens up to 10 at my beaches. Its chatty but I can get much deeper. Go as high as you can without falsing and learn to listen to the deep tones.

I have been hunting wit the sens at 10, disc at 1 and volume at 5 until I get a faint hit, then raise it.

I have heard that some CZs will get more depth using disc then autotune. On my machine autotune is about 2-3 inches deeper. In those 2-3 inches they all sound like iron for the most part so I have to dig all deep targets.

Back
Top Bottom