AT Pro question.

SoKyHunter

I'm considering upgrading my Bounty Hunty Tracker IV to an AT Pro. It seems the best detector in my budget anyways. My question is how well it can discriminate. I live in the South Central Kentucky area. Every single hunt yields a lot of iron and trash, and the Tracker IV is terrible at discriminating. Considering the history of the area, iron relics are also what you're most likely to find (very little recorded history pre-1800 in my town). Some of the AT Pro reviews are conflicting as to how well it can discriminate, especially differentiating between iron trash and iron "gold" so to speak.

Primary use would be coin/relic hunting.

I went on a hunt to a museum grounds and there were nails everywhere, it had been a former stables so there were thousands of them, when i had the small coil on it was trying to find the good stuff amongst the nails and it just wasnt doing it...so i changed out to the normal coil and notched out the iron to just above the nails and it was like a whole new machine.

It got coin spills, 19th century crotal bell, 19th century suspender buckle and clad including memorials, copper and yes even silver...id say for a beginner the at pro offers a good hand holding on std coin, custom or zero giving a yes or no to finds.

When your more demanding, experienced and confident you switch it to pro zero and then notch out the lower iron and run with the iron audio on and it will find those 10" or less and responds quickly so you know the iron content immediatly and not blanking out good finds with iron finds 3" away.

I'd say jump onboard the at pro express and make yourself a test garden with your wants in and place some nails, washers, bottle tops and yes even pull tabs to train your ears to the sounds....keep training till your bored silly and then hit the local parks and sports fields edges and start shoveling the finds into your pouch, you will be a true convert.

Also that waterproof is a real real benefit when you have the guts to go hunt in the rain or stay out in it when others would run...and small streams become just another searching place with no fear of your machine accidently falling into the water like some $1000 plus owners would be terrified of

The AT PRO is an absolute fantastic machine. I've had no discrimination issues at all. On occasion you dig that deep nail, but other than that, it is a fabulous machine. Yielded me so much silver and pre 1900 coins this past month it's unbelievable.

I use it on pro mode--the standard mode doesn't seem anything special, trust you - you should use pro mode or you are missing out on its ability.

About gold...I was detecting in front of a ladies house, and she had hay everywhere, I was losing probably 3-4" of depth, and got a very loud 60-62 signal, I was very surprised it was so loud, I dug and about a good couple inches below the ground was a 14k gold ring dated 8-4-56....so I am content with this machine! Hits gold like you wouldn't believe, and has me silver as old as 1865, as with large cents from 1834...and 15 indians, tons of v nickels & buffs, etc.

Thanks guys, exactly what I was needing to now. ...still can't imagine having any idea what's in the ground before I dig. Tracker has tones, but its always been completely unreliable. Low tones - pull tabs. Mid tones - pull tabs. High tones - pull tabs. 8 months later, every setting tested and I've come to the conclusion that it detects metal. That is all.

same story

Hey my first stick was the bounty hunter 4. Good little unit got me 4 silvers but when you get in a real dirty place you dig iron nails, hot rocks at seven inches all day. An old friend came to town with his two wands (AT,and his safari). I Got gold and silver in two hunts with his AT. My AT is in the mail. If it dose not pick up the depth i want, or work underwater as well as I like it dosent matter. Because im confident that the AT will pay for the next one. Keep your ears open with that bounty it will produce.

The AT Pro is a wonderful machine, Garrett knocked it out of the park with this one.

It reminds me of my Kawasaki KLR 650, a rugged workhorse that does everything well and is grudgingly respected by the BMW crowd who paid 3 times more. :D

I went from a bounty hunter to the pro, it's like night and day man.

Last edited:
The At Pro is a awesome machine even though I just ordered a CTX3030 I will always have a At Pro. I have done very well with my At Pro.

Tracker does seem to work great in clean areas. Unfortunately, the historic areas here have become a haven for the homeless. Most common find are bottle caps and beer cans. Without being able to accurately discriminate, it becomes an exercise in frustration

I won't go into specifics but I can tell you that I will ALWAYS have a place in my hunting sites for the AT Pro. For the money, it is a great machine and if mine crapped out tomorrow, I would order another one immediately.

G2M

Odd shaped pieces of iron and trash can screw up a 2000 dollar detectors head just like it will a Bounty Hunters. I have a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 and it has killer discrimination, and Identifies coins more accurately than my Ace 250 and my AT Pro and it is light as a feather and a joy to swing. The only problem with it is depth. Even with the ten inch coil I bought for it she still fails to get to silver coin depth in my part of Texas. I primarily use my AT Pro because it sees deeper and finds the old coins. All I can say is that for 500 bucks give or take, the AT Pro performs as well as any machine in its price range and is water proof too. Dollar vs value, its hard to beat.

I'm considering upgrading my Bounty Hunty Tracker IV to an AT Pro. It seems the best detector in my budget anyways. My question is how well it can discriminate. I live in the South Central Kentucky area. Every single hunt yields a lot of iron and trash, and the Tracker IV is terrible at discriminating. Considering the history of the area, iron relics are also what you're most likely to find (very little recorded history pre-1800 in my town). Some of the AT Pro reviews are conflicting as to how well it can discriminate, especially differentiating between iron trash and iron "gold" so to speak.

Primary use would be coin/relic hunting.

Get yourself a At Pro and the 5x8 DD coil with it. That combo in that price range is HARD to beat. The 5X8 never comes off my Pro.

Feel free to give me a ring for a great deal or questions! Bart

Get yourself a At Pro and the 5x8 DD coil with it. That combo in that price range is HARD to beat. The 5X8 never comes off my Pro.

Feel free to give me a ring for a great deal or questions! Bart

Never thought id do this but id say an experienced detectorist with an 8.5 x 11 is going to eat a 5x8 alive..for shear coverage...the smaller coin picks between the iron but your going to have to retire if you get a 5 acre field to scan..it takes forever...your legs will atrophy...while you spend three days doing a job the 8.5x11 will eat in maybe 8 hours (when on pro zero, id to 35 and iron audio on...mixed with confidence.

I have both and i actually spend more time with the large coil then the small one..its lighter but until im 60% lighter its a helluva job dragging my a$$ for an extra 4 hours to cover the same amount of area....maybe after your first scan change out to the smaller coil and for parks but i prefer the heavier detector and 4 hours less work...i can change arms before i can change legs...:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom