Well, Not Really a "Find" but the Best Historical Artifact that I have EVER Owned!!

MT1862

In the late 80's, I purchased a once in a lifetime Military Artifact....

On this day, 149 years ago, Colonel Robert Gould Shaw led the assault on Battery Wagner on Morris Island, S.C. He lead the all black 54Th Massachusetts Volunteers at the spearhead of this nighttime battle.

Colonel Shaw was killed on top of the parapet of Fort Wagner, while leading his men, into history.

Their actions were portrayed in the Oscar Award winning movie, "Glory."

I owned Colonel Shaw's personal silver field candlesticks, that were also used in the movie.

Rare....yes. Years later, and for a small fortune I sold them to a well known personality.....I still miss them to this day.

Robert Bohrn

Attachments

• pic292014.jpg
    pic292014.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 2,957
  • pic292108.jpg
    pic292108.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 2,669
  • imagesCAFXQGZT.jpg
    imagesCAFXQGZT.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 2,637
Now thats cool stuff right there. It would have to be a fortune of any kind to let go of something like that.

Interesting that they were used in Glory.... I joined this forum the same day I saw Matthew Broderick on Broadway. How's that for a neat coincidence?
Actually, I suppose it's completely meaningless to everyone except me.... But still, that's an amazing thing to have owned!

I was an extra in Glory

I happened to have the good fortune to be an "Extra" in Glory. We filmed near Charleston and on Jekyll Island. Without a doubt, of all the movies I've been in Glory is the best; some are real dead-end flicks, like "The Rose and the Jackal". Morgan Freeman was the coolest of all the actors. He marched with us down the beach on Jekyll (when Denzel W., Matthew B., and Cary E. were taking limos to their hotels), ate our campfire-cooked meal, and drank beer with us late into the night. He is top-notch as far as I am concerned. Don't you wish you still had those candlesticks? Did Don Troiani buy them?

Resurrecting a thread...but this is pretty cool. Love the candlestick and who it belonged to. Curious who the celebrity would be that owns it now...someone from the movie?

I watched "Glory" last night...recorded it off of DirecTV. LOVE this movie... Actually made me retrieve some artifacts from the den that my son and I have found...breast plate, US buckle, buttons and my own 1862 Springfield musket "wall hanger". I left the 8" mortar cannonball in the den, though. :)

My son and I started detecting when he was 17. He's now a sophomore in college...he's studying Communications media with a minor in History.
He actually owns a reproduction Colt Navy black powder .36 caliber revolver- like Matthew Broderick uses in the movie. We live in the country and go out back every now and then to shoot it. So much fun. It takes some time to load/pack the chambers, though. This made the gun only worth six shots in battle. After that, it became a hammer or something to throw since it was unrealistic to reload.

Back
Top Bottom