Permission from a Good Ole Boy

diggitydon

I live in a small community that is quiet and hardly anyone bothers anyone else. We pretty much mind our own business so it's a bit intimidating to walk up to someone and ask for permission to hunt their property.

One day this last week I saw an elderly couple out in their yard on this particular property I would love to hunt. Has a old old barn, chain-link fenced in yard and the property has about 4 acres of ground that is easily accessible. I thought it was the perfect opportunity to just drive up their driveway and ask.

So that's what I do. As i'm driving back I pass an Amish fellow checking out the roof of the old homestead. I figure he's going to do some work. So I give him a greeting and then on to who I figure is the land owner and his daughter.

I introduce myself as someone who lives just two roads over and do a bit of metal detecting and was wondering if he wouldn't mind me hunting his property.

He looks at me with his head cocked in a peculiar manner and says, "So you want to find my stash, do ya?" I said, "No, but if I do..." He pops in and says, "I'll split it with ya, 50-50." Smiles all around.

So he says, "I'm gonna have to think about this." looks at his daughter and says, "so and so hunted part of the property already. Sure, you can hunt. When do you want to do it?"

We set up a day this next week. I'm super excited! I'm not detered by the idea that someone else has hunted the property. I've hunted plenty of hunted properties and found lots of very old stuff.

Thanks for reading! HH and GL, yall!

Back
Top Bottom