Keeping What You Find

Make sure they know what to expect. Tell them the truth. At the average house you find a few wheats, and on a very good day you find a silver dime worth $2! They will yawn and go back inside and watch TV, and not bother you. Offer to return anything they have lost, or anything you think may be sentimental.

I wouldn't volunteer to show the homeowner anything you found, unless you do not mind them taking if from you! I think it is rude to show them a silver Ben Franklin half and say "Hey look what I found! I am keeping it." You agreed up front that you were going to keep everything you found, why rub it in their face.

If the land owner wants any part of the finds, why not find another site to detect, or come back when you are that desperate? Like G4E says there are plenty of homeowners who do not care what you find!

Do not feel guilty keeping the coins that you find, even on a windfall day! You have earned every piece of silver you find with extremely hard and skillful work. The 9-10 hours it takes to find one silver coin are worth between $100-200 to me, so HECK yes I am going to keep a $12 piece of silver! (I only find a half dollar every 6-12 months on average.) or nice key date coin. A $500+ key date coin is a nice, but far from compensation for 10-30 years of detecting.

Why not say I'll give half the items I find to you? Give them
The pulltabs, nails and garbage and u keep the clad, silver and gold? :laughing:

If they "want half the finds" they can buy their own detector, and have all of the finds. I will come back with permission of the next owner, and gladly take the leftovers from their 10 minutes using a Bounty Hunter Quicksilver. LOL!

:laughing: Whatever dude!

I am totally serious. With every year older that I get, and having kids, time goes by that much quicker. Three years goes by like 9 months used to. There is a good chance any homeowner will move in 5 years... I can totally out wait a lot of things!

Another thing, knock on someone's door 9 months later and there is a good chance they will not remember the previous attempt, or they will not remember that it was you that asked if they do. Even if they do you can always ask more than once, if you get a no, or they want to detect the yard themselves, etc...

Make sure they know what to expect. Tell them the truth. At the average house you find a few wheats, and on a very good day you find a silver dime worth $2! They will yawn and go back inside and watch TV, and not bother you. Offer to return anything they have lost, or anything you think may be sentimental.

I wouldn't volunteer to show the homeowner anything you found, unless you do not mind them taking if from you! I think it is rude to show them a silver Ben Franklin half and say "Hey look what I found! I am keeping it." You agreed up front that you were going to keep everything you found, why rub it in their face.

If the land owner wants any part of the finds, why not find another site to detect, or come back when you are that desperate? Like G4E says there are plenty of homeowners who do not care what you find!

Do not feel guilty keeping the coins that you find, even on a windfall day! You have earned every piece of silver you find with extremely hard and skillful work. The 9-10 hours it takes to find one silver coin are worth between $100-200 to me, so HECK yes I am going to keep a $12 piece of silver! (I only find a half dollar every 6-12 months on average.) or nice key date coin. A $500+ key date coin is a nice, but far from compensation for 10-30 years of detecting.

I agree 100%. I have 2 awesome places that I have permission to go, but both want to keep the cool stuff with the house. Needless to say they are at the absolute bottom of my list. Why would I waste my time finding stuff in someone elses yard for them to keep? Makes no sense when I can go 100 other places where all finds are mine. They keep asking me when I'm going to come, and I say that I'll be there as soon as I get to keep the cool stuff. :) If that ever changes, I'll probably toss a couple goodies their way, but if they want to keep it all, it can stay with the house... in the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom