Possible homemade CW dog tag??

Schweddy

Elite Member
Sorry for a repeat thread. I also have this on "help ID my finds".

I'm curious if anyone has insight on this ID tag. I believe the front to read "G. O. Caufman. Girard Pa". And the back to read SEP(?) 17 1863.

I recently found it at an 1850 property in Girard, Pa. I've got a couple hours of research on various ID tags, CW veterans directories and the Caufman genealogy in the area, but I haven't been able to nail anything down. What other use would a tag like this have beyond a dog tag?

Any tips or leads would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Schwed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 437
AWESOME!!!! What else can I say???? What a find and great job on the ID. Sure looks like a CW tag to me. Is it solid, heavy brass?

congrats man that is an awesome find

Most relic diggers spend their entire detecting career looking for an ID disc

Thanks all! I'm in utter disbelief. This was in my "junk" pouch. I'm still curious about the date. I mean - why a date? Regiment number seems a better choice, right? Are there any other types of ID tags that could explain this other than a CW tag?
It's a relatively thin piece of copper or brass. About the size of a large cent.

Fantastic find! Wonder if the date could be when he mustered in or the date of his first battle? Congrats on a great piece of history

Oh my God man! got your text tonight but got sidetracked and didn't see it till a few minutes ago..... I haven't been on the form for the last few months but I just had to reply to this one..... that is UN-believable.... Nice save of a true piece of history! That's a great find, big congrats!!! (If that thing could talk!)

Thanks all! I'm in utter disbelief. This was in my "junk" pouch. I'm still curious about the date. I mean - why a date? Regiment number seems a better choice, right? Are there any other types of ID tags that could explain this other than a CW tag?
It's a relatively thin piece of copper or brass. About the size of a large cent.

Could it possibly be a coal miners ID tag? I know when I worked repairing conveyor belts in the mines we had one brass tag that was riveted to our belt and another that we hung up so they knew what miners were working in case something would happen. Ours had our last 4 digits of our social security number, but the older ones I've seen were round. I looked up the area and there were a bunch of mines around during that period. Just throwing it out as a possibility. Either way, neat find! Looking at Google images of antique miners tags and they mostly have number identifications as well, so I'm thinking cw tag

I'm satisfied it's a CW tag and totally satisfied that the Rebel has made a awesome ID.
No authority or expertise in this arena, but it is a stupendous find and this answer is all I need to feel super good for you in finding it.
GL and HH

ATP/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/BH Outback/CT Hand held

I'm satisfied it's a CW tag and totally satisfied that the Rebel has made a awesome ID.
No authority or expertise in this arena, but it is a stupendous find and this answer is all I need to feel super good for you in finding it.
GL and HH

That^.....

I couldn't write a better post than that Sarge.....

<*)))>{

This may be him

It may not be a CW dogtag - in the 1900 census for Erie Co., Pa., Girard twp., I found a George Caufman, born Sept., 1863 (the census doesn't give the day of the month), same as the date on the tag. His occupation is machinist. He has a wife and five children. May be a miner's tag as mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom