Ruggedness - Equinox vs. AT Max

MichiDigger

Still debating ordering a Nox 600 or a Garrett AT Max. I FULLY UNDERSTAND MULTI-FREQUENCY BEATS SINGLE FREQUENCY. All things being equal, I think the Nox wins hands down.

My concern with the Nox (compared to the Max) is ruggedness and waterproofing. The Nox has seemingly had a lot of reports of leaking and it just LOOKS to have less durability than the Max. I know it has warranty but would rather not have to use it.

Equinox users - how would you rate the Nox for durability and water use/leaking?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Still debating ordering a Nox 600 or a Garrett AT Max. I FULLY UNDERSTAND MULTI-FREQUENCY BEATS SINGLE FREQUENCY. All things being equal, I think the Nox wins hands down.

My concern with the Nox (compared to the Max) is ruggedness and waterproofing. The Nox has seemingly had a lot of reports of leaking and it just LOOKS to have less durability than the Max. I know it has warranty but would rather not have to use it.

Equinox users - how would you rate the Nox for durability and water use/leaking?

Thanks in advance!

Minelab has sold a metric ton of Equinox detectors and they've been on the market for two years. I'm sure you'd hear more than a few reports if there was a problem so significant that it's necessary to take it into consideration. I certainly wouldn't characterize it as "a lot of reports".

With that said, I think the AT series has a better form factor for bushwhacking through the woods without the screen getting hit or caught on anything, as well as a better balance point for setting it down on uneven surfaces, such as rocky creek beds, without it falling over, etc... When I"m in a situation like that with the Nox where I think it's going to tip over I just go ahead and set it down sideways.

I had an AT Pro and AT Gold. My AT Gold control box completely broke off of the shaft when it tumbled down a rocky hillside about 10 feet. It was replaced under warranty. I have heard of this happening on these forums a few times.

I have over 2000 hours on the Equinox 800 in high mountain, woods, desert, extreme cold (below 20 F) and extreme heat (100+ F). I have submerged it in fresh water several times. I have not submerged it in saltwater. It has crashed a few times too when its clumsy user lost his footing. Happens too much at my age.....I have had a control housing cover on it when danger of cracking the screen was possible. I have always used an armrest cover. I did upgrade the shaft to one of the Steve Gross graphite shafts which I really like....thanks Steve.

I have had absolutely zero problems..........
If I did have a problem with the control housing, shaft or coil, Minelab would take care of it under warranty.

Jeff

Thanks in advance!

Just to follow up, I think the decision should come down more to whether you're the kind of detectorist that likes to turn on and go and rarely ever look at the screen. Or, if you do that sometimes but also like to fiddle with different settings. If you're in the first camp, Garrett pretty much nailed a perfect balance of audio, frequency, and presets to find lots of coins and relics. If you're in the second camp at all, then get the Nox 600. If you are REALLY, REALLY in the second camp, spring for the 800. In any case, if you think you'll ever get into beach detecting before you buy another detector, then get the Nox.

The AT series is a proven detector that has found mountains of coins and relics, but it's very limited as far as custom settings that have the potential (not guarantee) of squeezing as much or more out of the dirt than any other detector even close to the same price. Or, you get ahead of yourself with the settings and end up finding less than what you would have with a 200 dollar beep and dig detector.

Just to follow up, I think the decision should come down more to whether you're the kind of detectorist that likes to turn on and go and rarely ever look at the screen. Or, if you do that sometimes but also like to fiddle with different settings. If you're in the second camp at all, then get the Nox 600. If you are REALLY, REALLY in the second camp, spring for the 800.

The AT series is a proven detector that has found mountains of coins and relics, but it's very limited as far as custom settings that have the potential (not guarantee) of squeezing every last drop out of a permission. Or, you get the settings wrong and end up finding less than what you would have with a 200 dollar entry level detector.

Exactly, good comparison

Minelab has sold a metric ton of Equinox detectors and they've been on the market for two years. I'm sure you'd hear more than a few reports if there was a problem so significant that it's necessary to take it into consideration. I certainly wouldn't characterize it as "a lot of reports".

With that said, I think the AT series has a better form factor for bushwhacking through the woods without the screen getting hit or caught on anything, as well as a better balance point for setting it down on uneven surfaces, such as rocky creek beds, without it falling over, etc... When I"m in a situation like that with the Nox where I think it's going to tip over I just go ahead and set it down sideways.

What I'm getting is that the Nox doesn't have the ruggedness or waterproofing problems any more than other detectors. Is that accurate?

I had an AT Pro and AT Gold. My AT Gold control box completely broke off of the shaft when it tumbled down a rocky hillside about 10 feet. It was replaced under warranty. I have heard of this happening on these forums a few times.

I have over 2000 hours on the Equinox 800 in high mountain, woods, desert, extreme cold (below 20 F) and extreme heat (100+ F). I have submerged it in fresh water several times. I have not submerged it in saltwater. It has crashed a few times too when its clumsy user lost his footing. Happens too much at my age.....I have had a control housing cover on it when danger of cracking the screen was possible. I have always used an armrest cover. I did upgrade the shaft to one of the Steve Gross graphite shafts which I really like....thanks Steve.

I have had absolutely zero problems..........
If I did have a problem with the control housing, shaft or coil, Minelab would take care of it under warranty.

Jeff

Being in Michigan, I'll likely be a freshwater beeper 99.9% of the time. Just watched a vid describing how the Max just rolls over when setting it down. Hmm...

Just to follow up, I think the decision should come down more to whether you're the kind of detectorist that likes to turn on and go and rarely ever look at the screen. Or, if you do that sometimes but also like to fiddle with different settings. If you're in the first camp, Garrett pretty much nailed a perfect balance of audio, frequency, and presets to find lots of coins and relics. If you're in the second camp at all, then get the Nox 600. If you are REALLY, REALLY in the second camp, spring for the 800. In any case, if you think you'll ever get into beach detecting before you buy another detector, then get the Nox.

The AT series is a proven detector that has found mountains of coins and relics, but it's very limited as far as custom settings that have the potential (not guarantee) of squeezing as much or more out of the dirt than any other detector even close to the same price. Or, you get ahead of yourself with the settings and end up finding less than what you would have with a 200 dollar beep and dig detector.

Thanks! I've heard that the Nox is excellent at filtering out EMI. Have you had much EMI issues with the AT series?

AT Pros drowned a lot the first couple of years. I had one of the ones that drowned, took it in the bay and water punched through the faceplate somehow.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1......0.0..0.149.673.8j1......0....1.EqvX313OTNc

The AT Pro probably wins ruggedness at this moment because it’s been out a long time and plenty of time to work out manufacturing defects / issues. Personally, I’d be more focused on features that I wanted, as warranty and great customer service can overcome issues. Since Minelab moved their repairs away from Kellyco they have been great, so I’d call it a wash.

MUCH thanks!

What I'm getting is that the Nox doesn't have the ruggedness or waterproofing problems any more than other detectors. Is that accurate?

Sure. I'm just a bit more careful with the Nox because of the large, exposed screen and tendancy to tip over. I do have a cover for it. If I only had a Nox it's not like I'd be afraid to take it anywhere.

If I'm in the woods there are other reasons I like the AT Pro other than ruggedness. It's just a certain style of hunting.

-I think the AT has a good frequency for mixed coin/relic hunting in the woods. EMI is usually not an issue in rural areas. With a single frequency there's no temptation to fiddle with that.
-I'm probably digging any solid non-iron signal anyway
-I'm more focused on covering ground than teasing out sketchy signals like I would in a yard or park-type place.
-I want to pay attention to my surroundings rather than the screen and settings.
etc...

I also like the size of the AT's 5x8 coil for that type of hunting.....bigger than my 6" Nox coil and smaller than the 11" Nox coil.

Last edited:
I own both the AT Max and the 800. The Equinox 800 is not as durable as the Max. I have gotten to where I use the Equinox 10:1 to the Max. The 800 has found more than I could have hoped for with the Max and plenty deeper! It finds things in very common areas that others have not due to it's depth capabilities. The thing will pick up a staple at 12+ inches with the stock coil! The 800 is a beach machine for sure! I have used it in salt water plenty and it has been fine! I did have one coil break off at the ears but it a phone call and was replaced within a week. I have used it most every weekend for a year and should have changed the coil washers a time or two. If I were relic hunting in the woods, the Max is the go to machine. It is a brute that can take punishment. The noise factor on the AT is not as adjustable as the Max as far a EMI goes. I run both of them pretty hot. Sure you can turn down the sensitivity but then you lose depth. I like both machines but for different reasons and uses.

Thanks! I've heard that the Nox is excellent at filtering out EMI. Have you had much EMI issues with the AT series?

The Nox is actually more susceptible to EMI because it's listening to multiple frequencies. But, it's manageable because of the noise cancelling feature, the ability to select one of several single frequencies that may be free of EMI, and the ability to select a multi-freq mode that favors higher or lower frequencies that are free of the EMI. (Even iron bias and recovery speed adjustments can be utilized to manipulate whether and how the EMI is reported in the audio.)

I have a permission right now with EMI that absolutely slams across 5 to 10 kHz. Power lines on two sides of the lot. It's nearly undetectable on those frequencies and impossible with the iron audio on. It's barely tolerable at higher sensitivity in Mult-Freq Field 2 or Park 2 with iron audio off. Yet, it's dead quiet in single frequency 15 even with iron audio on. If somebody had one of the many very low single frequency detectors operating around 5 to 10 kHz, they'd be toast. For the record, I can also detect that particular place just fine with the AT Pro since it runs at 15 kHz. But, the EMI somewhere else could hit anywhere, including 15 kHz.

I own both the AT Max and the 800. The Equinox 800 is not as durable as the Max. I have gotten to where I use the Equinox 10:1 to the Max. The 800 has found more than I could have hoped for with the Max and plenty deeper! It finds things in very common areas that others have not due to it's depth capabilities. The thing will pick up a staple at 12+ inches with the stock coil! The 800 is a beach machine for sure! I have used it in salt water plenty and it has been fine! I did have one coil break off at the ears but it a phone call and was replaced within a week. I have used it most every weekend for a year and should have changed the coil washers a time or two. If I were relic hunting in the woods, the Max is the go to machine. It is a brute that can take punishment. The noise factor on the AT is not as adjustable as the Max as far a EMI goes. I run both of them pretty hot. Sure you can turn down the sensitivity but then you lose depth. I like both machines but for different reasons and uses.

GREAT info! Is it safe to say that, if you could ONLY have one machine it would be the Nox?

The Nox is actually more susceptible to EMI because it's listening to multiple frequencies. But, it's manageable because of the noise cancelling feature, the ability to select one of several single frequencies that may be free of EMI, and the ability to select a multi-freq mode that favors higher or lower frequencies that are free of the EMI. (Even iron bias and recovery speed adjustments can be utilized to manipulate whether and how the EMI is reported in the audio.)

I have a permission right now with EMI that absolutely slams across 5 to 10 kHz. Power lines on two sides of the lot. It's nearly undetectable on those frequencies and impossible with the iron audio on. It's barely tolerable at higher sensitivity in Mult-Freq Field 2 or Park 2 with iron audio off. Yet, it's dead quiet in single frequency 15 even with iron audio on. If somebody had one of the many very low single frequency detectors operating around 5 to 10 kHz, they'd be toast. For the record, I can also detect that particular place just fine with the AT Pro since it runs at 15 kHz. But, the EMI somewhere else could hit anywhere, including 15 kHz.

I anticipate hunting in both rural and city sites and the EMI factor is one I should really consider. I’m struggling to figure out the best machine for ME. Oy...

Thanks for all of your help!

As a former owner of both the Pro and NOX, I would go with the NOX. Like comparing an old muscle car to a new one....old may be cool/simple, but they can't touch a new one (handling, breaking, acceleration and speed). As far as waterproofing goes; I only had the detectors out in the rain, never under water. That said, neither one had a moisture issue.

I anticipate hunting in both rural and city sites and the EMI factor is one I should really consider. I’m struggling to figure out the best machine for ME. Oy...

Thanks for all of your help!

Been all over Michigan from southern lower to copper harbor with the nox in the water to dry land no problems . Bagging coils in the winter to keep weight of snow off to 100 plus degree days no problems. Curb strip hunting with power lines 15 ft above me no emi issues pulling silver. It's been strapped to the front rack of my 4 wheeler for hundreds of miles in the U.P no problems. Sure it's break able but mine has been great!

Like I told you before, you're caught in a bad case of analysis paralysis. I've seen all your posts, and you're looking for some kind of reassurance that I don't think you'll get from the forums. The easiest way to break that is just buy one and not look back. If you're that much in doubt, start with the Equinox since it has a very high resale value especially if you're smart and don't pay retail. Then if you really think you made the wrong choice, you can sell without much loss at all, and go to the Garrett.

You're wise and sage soul, sir. Much obliged!

I just got my Equinox tonight and the bolt/ armrest thread were “off” or something. The bolt would tighten before the armrest was tight to the stand and shaft (no I didnt get in a hurry and cross thread). I found that when I removed everything, and just screwed the bolt into the armrest it would stop too early still. I figured that it is not an alignment issue between the 3 pieces. It took forever but I finally got it to screw into just the armrest (being careful not to screw it in too far and break through armrest foam). It then took another eternity to put it all together and find that exact thread lineup. Not that big of a deal but I was planning on my wife and I trading off our metal detectors and she would need to adjust the armrest spacing on the fly while out in the field. The entire armrest assembly seems a little chincy for the price paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom