CA gold rush country hunt

Hope you guys are staying south of Sac! Or you have to send me my 30% :laughing:

Great write up (thank you) and most excellent research and hunting! Congrats on the amazing finds.

Dang, dude, what a neat lot of finds! Holy cow! I have been really lazy lately and haven't been out. Nobody to blame but me lmao. :D ....

thanx skwerly. We've done good on relics like this, in your part of the state (SSsshhh, don't tell jamflicker :laughing: ) . So there's definitely stuff within striking distance of you as well. Just gotta hit the history books and study !

Hope you guys are staying south of Sac! Or you have to send me my 30% :laughing:

Great write up (thank you) and most excellent research and hunting! Congrats on the amazing finds.

Thanx Ground-sweeper ! I can tell you with 100% certainty : We may or may not have been south of Sacramento. Any other questions ? :D

Wow, those are great finds! That quarter looks like it was dropped on the way home from the mint! That nugget is a wonderful find, so are the relics, congrats on all your finds.

.... That quarter looks like it was dropped on the way home from the mint! ....

thanx for looking love-the-shiny. Agreed about the quarter, but ... not "dropped". Instead, I would say they gently laid it down on the ground, eh ?

Oh, and I tried to explain to Greg that the proper way to clean it now, was Ajax and sandpaper. But he won't listen ! :laughing:

Awesome. Some people jump on a plane and pay to stay at a dude ranch to ride horses and play cowboy. I'd pay to go detect a place like that. Just so different from what I'm used to seeing.

Some great finds, I think I’d rather it be a dropped nugget. Ever heard of anyone finding a nugget spill out there?

Yes. There was a hunter , in the Folsom area years ago, who got a signal inside a rock-outcropping. The signal was coming from a crevice or opening of some sort , in this craggy outcropping. He started poking around, and started pulling seateds, an 8 reale, a $5 gold, etc.... All told it was something like a dozen seateds (half dimes, dimes, etc...) a few reales, and the $5 gold. But curiously, he also pulled a few nuggets out too ! So he surmised that someone had stashed their satchel or coin-purse there, and that the bag had long-since deteriorated. And that the nuggets must have been in with the coins. On a hunch, he came back with a high-powered nugget machine, and pulled multiple pinhead sized nuggets too, that his coin-machine hadn't been able to hear.

Awesome. Some people jump on a plane and pay to stay at a dude ranch to ride horses and play cowboy. I'd pay to go detect a place like that. Just so different from what I'm used to seeing.

thanx for the kind comments toy-soldier !

thanx for the kind comments toy-soldier !

Forgot to ask. Are those all cash coins in the upper right corner?

Edited: Never mind....just read it in the description.

It's one thing to find cash coins in a random yard in Kentucky, which I've done. I think it's way cooler history-wise to find them out west at a gold rush site. Those are far more likely to have been dropped by 1st generation Chinese immigrants rather than some kid playing with some "toy" foreign coins.

Great write-up, Tom, about a very fun hunt. I guess you did not want to post a closeup of my dime and nugget. I understand that they must be hard to look at in light of the fact that you were so close to them when they were still in the ground. Time to start thinking about that Nox?
3361c2be303de206a9f1e17b389ee4f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

full liberty! outrageous find! tough, tough,tough,
congrats!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Excellent write up guys. Fantastic finds and I'm sure memories of detecting with friends that are going to last a lifetime. I can just imagine the camp in action just from following this post.

... I think it's way cooler history-wise to find them out west at a gold rush site. Those are far more likely to have been dropped by 1st generation Chinese immigrants ....

Thanx. Yes. Although common (and no numismatic values), we enjoy finding them. They speak loudly to the Chinese immigrants that came here to work the mines, build the RR's, etc... And whenever you're finding those, you know it's barbers at the absolute latest, in the same contexts.

full liberty! outrageous find! tough, tough,tough,
congrats! ...

thanx jmaryt !

Excellent write up guys. Fantastic finds and I'm sure memories of detecting with friends that are going to last a lifetime. I can just imagine the camp in action just from following this post.

Yes. We are already saying to each other that this site will go down as memorable. And yes, you can almost "feel" as if you are in saloon row district. Like .... you almost expect Clint Eastwood to come riding in, on stage right, in a Spaghetti western movie ! :laughing:

Fun stuff and thanks for sharing Tom!!!

Thanx for coming along for the show & tell !

Man, you Cali guys are always finding gold. I am sure when you guys throw rocks through peoples windows, they are fist size chunks of gold that are really only serving as a risk of floor collapses due to the surplus of gold found.

Beautiful stuff Tom!

The silver coins, gold and all the rest are might fine recoveries...congrats!

Thanx for looking fellas ~ !

Man, you Cali guys are always finding gold. I am sure when you guys throw rocks through peoples windows, they are fist size chunks of gold that are really only serving as a risk of floor collapses due to the surplus of gold found.

Yes. Hey, after all, we have to keep up with the east coast lies about all-those supposed LC's and colonial coppers after all, eh ? :laughing: :sissyfight:

Yes. Hey, after all, we have to keep up with the east coast lies about all-those supposed LC's and colonial coppers after all, eh ? :laughing: :sissyfight:

That rumor about us passing around and sharing that one large cent is just that - rumors. Damn, I need to get the LC from Jeff so I can "post my new find" later today...

Back
Top Bottom