• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Equinox 3.0. Software update

2108silver1

I just updated to 3.0. Plan on getting out tomorrow. Anyone feel it helped you find some silver that you may have missed. Any other observations

Last edited:
Not really impressed with it.
It will show iron as high tones, most other frequency choices it can an might do it too but this one really keys in on that stuff.
Another issue is if you turn on the horseshoe to go to "all metal", most of the time it won't report back with any low tones of numbers at all.
This happened to me all day yesterday, over high tone targets that were iron it was still a bit too jumpy vs good targets like coins so that is a good clue but over actual iron, and I mean from tiny pieces up through larger ones, it still gave only the high report.
On several I switched to 5kHz and the high tone was still there but the low tones and iron numbers came back and were peppered in there also and as I switched to every frequency up the line the same thing happened.
On more than one occasion that high tone, high number only signal with no iron indications turned into an iron only signal when switch over to multi... true and accurate information because I didn't just assume but dug many of these just to be sure.
This makes it useless to hunt with in my sites because we have an unusual amount of iron infestation around here.

Also it not only fails to report on iron but if you are expecting to notice any low conductors you can forget that...it won't see much below zinc which isn't a problem for those only looking for high tone old coins and silver but for jewelry hunters it abysmal.
I realize that low conductors like nickels can be changed to high tones and you can still get them according to a few others but in my dirt I didn't see this at all...low conductors seemed to be invisible but with my mineralization and massive iron issues in my devil dirt this could be my cross to bear and in better dirt not so much.
Many times I have gone hunting to find old silver coins but found a low conductors gold ring instead because when I hunt using any detector I use a pretty wide open range with low disc because you never know what you might come across out there.
If you hunt only in 4 around here you will negate that possibility, horseshoe turned off or on.

The update did seem to quiet it down some in some heavy EMI situations, maybe make for a more stable environment overall but this is only a feeling and I need more hours to gather more information on that.

It has been reported it could mess with your pinpoint accuracy...I rarely pay attention to the bars or look at the numbers when pinpointing so I don't know about that.

In good soil with less iron it might work pretty well as a hunting profile and I am sure over actual deep silver it will do what it is supposed to do as advertised...hit it stable and clear with great tones and very little noise or chatter and I can see me using it as a check for when I find some high tone targets especially deep ones but using it to hunt with compared to multi...never going to happen for me.

Last edited:
I downloaded the 3.0 update a few days ago & tested it on an 8 hour hunt yesterday. I can't say I'm happy with it. I realize its not for coin hunting & is mainly for large deep objects, but it says it will help finding silver. I tested a silver dime, quarter, & Buffalo nickel all at the same depth, in all frequencies including the new 4, and it did the best in the multi frequency setting. It also changed the numbers we are used to seeing for different coins when operating in 4. Pull tabs now read the same as dimes, nickels read the same as quarters. I think it did however add to the stability of the detector somewhat in the heavily mineralized ground around Southern Oregon. If it were not for that I would probably delete that update and go back to the previous one. It down loaded easily and I experienced no adverse effects to the detector. Overall, I'm not excited about this down load

I did the update and went out to test next door at my neighbors front yard. Used both field 1 and park 1, multi and 4khz. The NOX still impresses me man I was sniffin out super crutsy rotten zincs and clad from there, surprised at the amount as I had already been over that yard.....I seem to notice getting a higher number for toasted zincs. Copper penny range. Got a good 32-33 and dug a rusty bottlecap while on 4khz. I need to run this alot more to be able to report anything of value, it was a short hunt only, does not ttake long to be sweating like a buffalo in this heat here.

My opinion pretty much mirrors Diggers. I might use it to proof sweep a yard after I think I've pretty much got it all in multi. And I like the way my 800 hits mid tones hard in multi. So that said good luck to the Asians. Mark

Back
Top Bottom