Took the 4kHz Nox for a run through my yard...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
I am about to go hunting and I will report back with more observations but this is what I think so far.

In my front and backyard that has been scoured over 100 times with 5 other detectors the new frequency did find a couple of high conductivity targets I was shocked that I missed previously.
No coins but one was some kind of big aluminum band like the type they use to mark new bushes, although a bit long for that purpose, before planting and another that hit like a truck which was some sort of chromed trim ring off a plumbing fixture like a sink.
Hard to believe I missed these in the past, they aren't super deep but evidently pretty well masked.

I also came across many other high tones most with some very high numbers from the mid 30's up to 39-40.
Those sounded good and I tried to stabilize them to within 2-3 numbers but they always jumped down to lower numbers sometimes into the 20's.
I dug a few, every one was iron from very tiny to a bit bigger.
Not only do I have major mineralization masking issues but I am also blessed with an unusual amount of massive iron just about everywhere I hunt.
In multi iron usually does the same, not as high number range with some stability that might fool me but swing over it enough and the numbers jump or fall as much as 10 or more if I am swinging over iron.
Good targets like coins don't do this, sometimes they stay locked in to one number, a few times they jump a tiny bit more but I have yet to find anything good that drops so much or changes a lot if I turn and but then from a different direction no matter how deep.
This is actually a good thing.
I can see I can't hunt in 4kHz but it sure might be handy as a check when I roll over some of the more stable suspected iron out there.
As far as hitting low conductors like small foil, canslaw or I suspect maybe nickels...this new frequency missed them almost completely.
This would not be a good choice for jewelry hunting in my environment, gold jewelry specifically.

A good thing is whatever they did it seemed to make my detector more stable overall as I had way less chatter in multi caused by EMI and could turn up the sense very high and even max it out which I couldn't before hunting around my house.
The 4 kHz was unusually quiet, I hardly got any reports that weren't in that very high range which I assume was all actual iron from those 30's on up with very little chatter.
Switching to 5kHz a whole different story, a huge amount of chatter and jumping and a decent amount as I tried the other frequencies, also, so just that simple move down to 4 shuts it up.
Stlll think hunting in multi is best for me, maybe the stability enhancements, whatever they are, might make things a bit more easy for me around here but I need to hunt more to see if that is true.
I am about to walk over to my neighborhood park and hunt a couple of different areas I know well and see how she behaves compared to my previous experiences at each site.

The upgrade didn't seem to hurt anything and possibly might be helpful so we shall see.

Attachments

• photostudio_1596282588639.jpg
    photostudio_1596282588639.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 300
I replied to another member about my impressions after a hunt yesterday, I will copy and paste them here in case anyone else is interested.

Not really impressed with it.
It will show iron as high tones, most other frequency choices it can an might do it too but this one really keys in on that stuff.
Another issue is if you turn on the horseshoe to go to "all metal", most of the time it won't report back with any low tones of numbers at all.
This happened to me all day yesterday, over high tone targets that were iron it was still a bit too jumpy vs good targets like coins so that is a good clue but over actual iron, and I mean from tiny pieces up through larger ones, it still gave only the high report.
On several I switched to 5kHz and the high tone was still there but the low tones and iron numbers came back and were peppered in there also and as I switched to every frequency up the line the same thing happened.
On more than one occasion that high tone, high number only signal with no iron indications turned into an iron only signal when switch over to multi... true and accurate information because I didn't just assume but dug many of these just to be sure.
This makes it useless to hunt with in my sites because we have an unusual amount of iron infestation around here.

Also it not only fails to report on iron but if you are expecting to notice any low conductors you can forget that...it won't see much below zinc which isn't a problem for those only looking for high tone old coins and silver but for jewelry hunters it abysmal.
I realize that low conductors like nickels can be changed to high tones and you can still get them according to a few others but in my dirt I didn't see this at all...low conductors seemed to be invisible but with my mineralization and massive iron issues in my devil dirt this could be my cross to bear and in better dirt not so much.
Many times I have gone hunting to find old silver coins but found a low conductors gold ring instead because when I hunt using any detector I use a pretty wide open range with low disc because you never know what you might come across out there.
If you hunt only in 4 you will negate that possibility, horseshoe turned off or on.

The update did seem to quiet it down some in some heavy EMI situations, maybe make for a more stable environment overall but this is only a feeling and I need more hours to gather more information on that.

It has been reported it could mess with your pinpoint accuracy...I rarely pay attention to the bars or look at the numbers when pinpointing so I don't know about that.

In good soil with less iron it might work pretty well as a hunting profile and I
am sure over actual deep silver it will do what it is supposed to do as advertised...hit it stable and clear with great tones and very little noise or chatter and I can see me using it as a check for when I find some high tone targets especially deep ones but using it to hunt with compared to multi...never going to happen for me.

Last edited:
Nice write up, In my yard my results were the same as yours. Lots of targets ringing high that I haven't noticed before. Way to dry to dig so I can't really test until we get rain, which appears according to the forecast not to be any time soon. I noticed my 800 appeared to be more stable around EMI. Time will tell I guess.

Back
Top Bottom