Living in 1982? Why prices are so high

REAL_RAT_FINK

Forum Supporter
I'm just curious and would really like to know the answer to this..... why is it, when you look on Craigslist and ebay you see OLD equipment going for big bucks? $600 for explorer 2, whites mxt $750, garrett 2500 $1200, just a few examples. I know most metal detectors hold their value, but its not 2010 anymore! This is 2020 and you can pick up a brand new nox or simplex for less than that. The old tech I've used was just that, old tech! I'm sure some of those oldies have their "spot" in your lineup but heavens! Who is buying this stuff :laughing:

For one thing you used to have to pay to run an ad in the local paper. And it wasn't cheap. So you priced things to sell. Now with Craigslist and other free sites, you can ask whatever you want and hope some sucker bites.

This is not just metal detectors but anything really. Just simple buy low sell high mentality. Some people dont realize depreciation and think their items will sell like they are brand new.

I have sortof a formula I use when I sell electronics. Right off the bat 20% of the value is lost and another 10% each year. I have owned my ctx 3030 for 3 years now 2500 - 50% = 1250 but then I have to consider no warranty left and its not new condition.
I would probably ask around 1000$ for my used ctx with extra coils, waterproof headphones etc. Its just the cost of buisness.

Good thing I am not selling it :cool:

My experience on Ebay is people don't know how to bid. They begin bidding on the product right when it goes on the site and drive the prices up. By the time the sale is almost up, the price of the detector is less than $100 of normal retail. I've bid on things other than MD's and the savvy buyers will wait until the last 10 seconds before bidding. Doesn't happen that way that much anymore...

The question is.....are they only being offered at those prices and not actually selling, or are there gullible people out there who have no idea what they're bidding on or paying for?

Craigslist has become a joke. It's not just metal detectors but everything people are asking ridiculous amounts for their used stuff. In many cases even more than new just because "I put x dollars into it blah blah and throwing in an extra blah blah".

If you loved say the Explorer SE Pro and a minty closet queen came up for $600.00 you might want to jump on it. If I want an item I never bid until the last 10-15 seconds, and if it's something I really, really want I will over bid some. I almost never lose.

Craigslist has become a joke. It's not just metal detectors but everything people are asking ridiculous amounts for their used stuff. In many cases even more than new just because "I put x dollars into it blah blah and throwing in an extra blah blah".
What's even more of a joke ? Look at the Free section. Sometimes you can score some good stuff. But look at the stinky , stained beds and ripped sofas people are trying to give away. That's because they don't want to have to PAY someone to take it. My favorite is the free 20' palm trees.. oh yeah...you got to remove it....

It’s like buying an old classic car or hot rod. Some may look at it and say, “$6k for that old piece of !!!!?” (I just sold a ‘70 Amx that hadn’t run for years and doubled my purchase price, the buyer considered it a good deal). It’s like that with some old detectors too. I believe my old Explorer II will out hunt the Nox (it out hunts my old Etrac, that’s for sure). I’ve considered buying a backup and might pay $600 for a nice one.

On eBay one has to look at the “Completed” items to get a feel for what that item is actually selling for. I agree, CL is free and therefore gets a lot of people just fishing for a sucker.
A truly great piece of equipment will hold its value and even increase in many cases. Guitar players who enjoy the sound of Boston will know that the Scholz X100 is an example of that. The Explorers DO typically hold value quite well too, especially if well kept. It takes TIME to really get the most out of it...if you’re willing to invest that, people realize what a gem they really are.

Back
Top Bottom