New To Detecting...

Mojorisen

Hello all,

I'm here in the Los Angeles area and finally bought my first metal detector. I bought the Bounty Hunter IV. I have yet to use it (besides trying it out on the floor in my home). It was on sale thru Amazon so I jumped on it. Since I was a kid I wanted a detector and now that I have one I need to find places to go that are legal.

I know of lots of hiking trails and desert locations and even the beaches out here. I am calling to see if I need permits or not. Also, I have a Jeep and hope that will get me places most people won't go. I want to try Griffith Park and one spot in Griffith Park where they used to film movies. I need to find the spot first.

If anyone is in LA and wants to connect let me know. I will be winging it since I am learning as I go and checking the forums and YouTube for etiquette and other helpful information.

Will be heading to Santa Monica Beach tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again...

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

The BH Tracker IV is a really good budget level detector, a great deal for the low price, I found a good video someone made to help those who are new to the Tracker IV -

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Review Demonstration and How To Operate

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

:fmdfwelcome: Thank you for joining us! On the topic of YouTube videos, I found the NuggetNoggin channel to be especially helpful in learning the ropes. And this forum is the best metal detecting forum I know of, with lots of great tips and plenty of experienced detectorists to learn from. :yes: We are glad to have you! :waytogo:

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Today was great at the beach. I came home .27 cents richer and found several bottle caps. I was hoping for a little beginners luck, but I guess I'll have to wait until next time. Sadly I was only able to stay for about 2.5 hours. I had other obligations and had to cut out. But I wanted to keep going.

By the time I left my shoulder was sore, luckily I had switched hands otherwise my shoulder would have been in bad shape. My legs got a workout too. I need to buy a longer digging tool. For now, my legs will get to exercise.

I didn't see anyone else with detectors but that was ok. In the end, I came back with something, and, I was able to have some alone time.

Looking forward to the next opportunity, either the beach again or at Griffith Park.

Hopefully, you can see my setup in the photos I posted. I used my regular headphones and a 3-way plug so I could attach my Bluetooth receiver and listen to music while detecting. I heard the tones easily. It worked better than I thought it would, I was afraid the music would drown out the tones. It also lowered the volume of the tones, otherwise, with a direct connection to the machine the tones would be too loud.
20181214_123735 by milorisen, on Flickr[/IMG]

My First Catch by milorisen, on Flickr

datetaken-ff

datetaken-ff

Just hang on and Tom will be right with you!:grin: ....

Haha :laughing:

... I am calling to see if I need permits or not. ...

For starters, no ... you don't need "permits" for any So. CA location or Griffith park. Just avoid obvious historic sensitive landmarks, and don't be in the middle of retrievals @ highly manicured turf , when busy-bodies are watching.

If any spot DID require "permits", look up such info. for yourself. Ie.: if such a thing existed, it would be in their list of rules, or their website, etc.... If you see no such thing (ie.: silent on the subject of md'ing), then: Presto: Not disallowed and no permits needed.

Because if you go waltzing in asking if you need a "permit", you could become the latest victim of "No one cared till you asked" psychology. Ie.: some desk-jockey can conjur images of geeks with shovels, and start saying other stuff applies to the "pressing question".

But .... yes .... since you asked: Yes there is a Permit: Send me 30% of all your finds (I accept paypal). Then yes: I allow you to hunt any park or beach down there. :cool:

Thanks again for the insights. I had the same thought about no one caring until I asked. But I was also concerned about getting the ok from someone who is not an official. But as you said, no info on the websites.

Tom,

Checks in the mail. :)

Back
Top Bottom