Why isn't there a metal Detecting beach company yet?!?

InShepherdsArms

Elite Member
I'm just curious?

Why isn't there a metal Detecting company that only makes saltwater metal detectors for the beach?

Theres a huge market in saltwater detecting!

Then they could put a lot of time and effort in building quality beach machines.

I even feel like minelab, fisher or whites could have a separate company only for saltwater beach hunting. They could release a new saltwater machine every year!

After all there's metal detecting and there's saltwater metal detecting!

Thoughts???

There is one that I know of:

JW Fisher

http://jwfishers.com/

I have their Pulse 8X

Not for the faint at heart...

Looks quite durable, ( 9" depth seems shallow to me for a PI but I'm no expert by far) What have been your results depth wise with it? I like that you can hip mount it and the shorty shaft for diving looks cool too! I am personally int the market for a good water machine and hadn't heard of this, any extra input would be appreciated. Thanks!

A dedicated beach detector company probably could succeed, but one a year? That'd be like asking a band to make an album and tour every year. I think R&D takes longer to make a truly different detector.

R5

I do not think that the volume of sales of salt water machines would be high enough to support a company that Only made that machine. The company would have to sell tens of thousands of machines every year and the sales would taper off each year as the market became saturated.

I'm just curious?

Why isn't there a metal Detecting company that only makes saltwater metal detectors for the beach?

Then they could put a lot of time and effort in building quality beach machines.

Honestly, I don't know what else we could ask for?

I even feel like minelab, fisher or whites could have a separate company only for saltwater beach hunting. They could release a new saltwater machine every year!

After all there's metal detecting and there's saltwater metal detecting!

Thoughts???
There such a company ...Minelab! :lol: Safari, equinox, E-Trac, Excal, and CTX. They have a detector for every budget. They have a detector for every salt-hunting niche. And all of those are made ESPECIALLY for SALT BEACHES.

Just would like to see a new detector for salt that is truly waterproof deeper than my pool :) what about the talks related to Fishers new detector?

I don't think "huge" means what you think it means.

If there was a viable business model and market for a for a company that strictly produces salt-water detector, that company would already exist. The truth is, the dirt farmers outnumber the pirates the world over. As it is, hobby metal detectors are still a niche market compared to security/industrial/military/de-mining

... As it is, hobby metal detectors are still a niche market compared to security/industrial/military/de-mining
Totally agree. FWIW, I've taken our companies ground penetrating radar equipment (used to find rebar) and brought it to the beach. If you ever want to see hypercurious and paranoid folks, push one of those around a swimming hole. lol

...what about the talks related to Fishers new detector?
I had hopes for Fisher, especially with the hire of that French engineer. Even if they do offer something, I fear they are jumping in the game a day late and dollar short. Will the machine be as light, versatile, and low priced as the equinox? If they develop a dive machine to replace the CZ, will it be more rugged than the Excal (hopefully).

Bluetooth coils are where I think the industry is headed. A coil that pairs with your phone/tablet and runs off downloadable software. It mitigates coil-wire issues, weight, and decreases the cost of mfg'g and shipping.

Totally agree. FWIW, I've taken our companies ground penetrating radar equipment (used to find rebar) and brought it to the beach. If you ever want to see hypercurious and paranoid folks, push one of those around a swimming hole. lol

I had hopes for Fisher, especially with the hire of that French engineer. Even if they do offer something, I fear they are jumping in the game a day late and dollar short. Will the machine be as light, versatile, and low priced as the equinox? If they develop a dive machine to replace the CZ, will it be more rugged than the Excal (hopefully).

I feel you, I guess it just depends on what else can really be done to a dive machine. Don't really need a screen, maybe GPS but how much would it really be used, wireless, bluetooth etc won't be any good 30ft underwater. Guess its more profitable for the MD companies to strap bells and whistles on land detectors.

CZ-21 is a great detector and I guess if they made something new then the CZ would eventually get harder and harder to service.

Bluetooth coils are where I think the industry is headed. A coil that pairs with your phone/tablet and runs off downloadable software. It mitigates coil-wire issues, weight, and decreases the cost of mfg'g and shipping.

I really don't want to be required to use my phone to do my metal detecting. My phone is just that - a phone. Nothing like someone needing to get in touch with me and can't because I hunted my phone to unusable battery levels. I hope that is not where the industry is heading. Bluetooth is all fine and well so long as they can ensure signal integrity.

Where will the signal processing be done? On the phone? Amazonws? Either way, you are looking at accelerated battery burn on already battery hungry devices. You can readily change the batteries on your detector. You can't readily change the battery on your iPhone. Obviously, off-phone processing would be impractical due to network latency issues and areas where there is no cellular/wireless connectivity.

Diversification Is the answer. You need as a manufacturer, to address the needs of a lot of sectors.
Coins, jewelry, relics, artifacts. in the mountains, desert, beach , under water, etc.
The Company has already invested in Research, Building, Insurance, Personnel, etc, so cover all bases.
That's why GM Ford and Chrysler make several cars and trucks.
The one trick pony Company is a thing of the past IMO.
Marvin

The Equinox was timed to steal the thunder from recent competitor releases. A lot of huff and puff. It succeeded. I'm hoping Fisher has a pi as sensitive as a tdi but with an iron check and as light as the SL.

As technology continues to grow,,,,IE, smart TV's, 4k, and 8k, our God blessed hobby will follow and we will end up with a machine that will pick up any gold chain without a pendant, and pick up an average band at 18",,,,,,or maybe I am dreaming,,,,I do see that happening,,,,,and David, I see it pairing with a phone and carrying nothing other than a stick, coil, and wireless headphones,,,,,of course, perfectly balanced as well,,,,,,GL HH

That'll be a trick for water hunting. LOL

Skippy

Ever try to get a bluetooth signal under water. LOL

The moment you submerged it in 1/2' of water, you'd lose the connection. That'd be annoying, and non-functional for any beach user.

I don't ever see non-wired coils becoming "the norm." Sometimes older technology is WAY more stable...

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom