To ask,or not to ask....that is the question

JasonR

Ok, I have heard to sides of this debate and I'm still torn.
I understand that if it is private property or marked NOTRESPASSING, permission should be sought, but i've heard folks say if it is public property (playgrounds, parks, school athletic fields) or an empty lot with no signs just go for it. Others say get permission from the principal or parks dept, ect.

I have emailed the folks at the county courthouse regarding county and city ordinances on the subject and this was the response I got.

Jason R
Sorry for the delayed response. I was out of town yesterday. The city does not have any ordinances about metal detecting. I’m sure the County does not either. I don’t know about the State.

I tend to be in the camp of "easier to ask forgiveness that permission"
regarding public property, within reason I mean, I realize the courthouse is public property but I'm not gonna go detecting on the courthouse lawn (without Permission).

I say don't ask. If it's public property, and there are no signs posted, or no obvious regulations against metal detecting, why should anybody be asked? No one asks permision to have a picnic, or to walk their dog, why ask to metal detect?

I tend to agree with you Ed.

For anyone else living in Tennessee, if you are not aware, you do need a permit to detect on TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) managed lands.
Its free you just print the app from there website and send it in.
Got mine in the mail today.

You might stop by the caretaker and "make a friend" first. I did that in a local school...wanted to hunt the beautiful, one acre, front lawn. I looked up the chief caretaker, introduced myself, and showed him how I cut/replaced a plug. No Problems since. He even comes out to see if I'm "finding anything".

Never hurts to do a little public relations with the guy who cuts the lawn.

If you do ask permission to hunt public property, you will have better luck if you phrase it as "is there a permit system in place" or "do I need a permit" rather than "is it allowed."

I understand that if it is private property or marked NOTRESPASSING, permission should be sought, but i've heard folks say if it is public property (playgrounds, parks, school athletic fields) or an empty lot with no signs just go for it. Others say get permission from the principal or parks dept, ect.

I have emailed the folks at the county courthouse regarding county and city ordinances on the subject and this was the response I got.

I tend to be in the camp of "easier to ask forgiveness that permission"
regarding public property, within reason I mean, I realize the courthouse is public property but I'm not gonna go detecting on the courthouse lawn (without Permission).

If this were me I would print this email and put it in my back pocket and have fun detecting. The only people that would ask any questions would be local police and at that point pull out the paper. Chances are high, if the Courthouse has no city/county ordinance and they cant tell you, then they sure cannot tell the officer that works for them. Plus if there are some ordinances that pop up and you are questioned, tell them you did your due dilligance and meant no wrong doing and will be happy to move on.

First of all TN Ninja Digger, why would you ever ask for permission? Since your a ninja I assume would could detect anywhere you want completely undetected. I'm thinking you could detect the lawns at the White House, lots of history there.
lol.gif
I've said my thoughts on this forum before but I will mention them again here since it's devoted to just this subject. I will (in most cases) detect any public park, etc. that is not posted without asking permission. From others experiences I've ascertained that asking will oftentimes lead to a no (even if there's no legal grounds for it. They probably figure the less things they have to deal with the less potential hassle they could possibly have for saying yes. I've detected for years at strictly public areas (too shy to get the cajones and just ask permission at some of the MANY old houses here in Salem. I've been stopped by many police and the general public, usually just curious what I'm doing (especially since it's usually 3am when they see me out there.) If I were asked to leave I would do so immediately, no questions asked. I was actually recently detecting a local town common here on the north shore of ma. A local couple (who were very friendly) came up and asked if I was afraid of getting in trouble for detecting the common. They too detect and when they moved to this town call the police and asked if it was legal to detect the commons. The police told them (get this) that it is Massachusetts state law that it's illegal to detect any town common and is punishable with arrest and confiscation of your equipment! What a crock they were told. I'd assume I would have been warned of this at some point over the years when I spoke to the police while questioning me. This couple seemed quite sincere and I don't believe they were lying to try and save the good stuff for themselves. This is an example of what can come from asking. Now there are many public places that I would never detect. Some include cemetaries (even though I have no personal moral issue with this I think others would get a very bad feeling towards us detectorists {in fact I invite all of you to detect at my grave site when I die, maybe I'll have my wife plant it with my collection for just such purpose.}) I've heard of others detecting courthouses and such, I don't know my reasoning, just wouldn't personally do it without permission. I also wouldn't feel comfortable doing the small public strip of grass between a sidewalk and the road in front of someones house. While they don't legally own that property I feel I would be invading their personal space (plus many care for that city property as they would their own.) I could go on and on listing specific places individually but hopefully you see the point I'm trying to get across. For me it's based on common sense and courtesy, which sometimes seems to be missing with some people in society. Good luck on whatever decisions you make on what is right and wrong for you, Scott.

First of all TN Ninja Digger, why would you ever ask for permission? Since your a ninja I assume would could detect anywhere you want completely undetected. I'm thinking you could detect the lawns at the White House, lots of history there. .

True enough I guess Ninjas much as MDers have taken a bad wrap over the years and I want to see good come on both sides. It is much easier for people to say no, and sometimes much easier to ask forgivness. I think after a fiar shake at asking questions and getting the emmummm mmuummm answer DIG AWAY. At least at that point you have done your hmework and can prove it.

I have emailed the folks at the county courthouse regarding county and city ordinances on the subject and this was the response I got . . ..

I'd print your email to the courthouse and their response on the same paper and carry it with you. That way you have something to show in case you are challenged by an officer or "friendly" citizen.

Since you did ask, you might as well reap he benefits.

Salem Scott - I think I'll print out your post ( as was suggested above ) and when I read of your deceasement I'll detect your grave. Then if anyone asks I'll whip the post out and show them :) steve in so az

I sent an email to the Mayor of our small city asking if there were any laws, or local ordinances about metal detecting on city owned land......

He copied the police chief and they both responded that there were no restrictions to metal detecting on city owned land.... except for the posted signs that give the hours the property is opened to the public...

I did this for the surrounding towns/cities and received the same reply......

Then I printed out the emails.... folded them and put them in a little business card holder.... they're in my pocket whenever I go MDing..... I also keep a copy of the state regs for state park land and beaches....

The card holder works well .... and I always have proof of what the laws say.... :yes:

I've been out and about 6am-8am on weekends lately. Nobody has said anything to me. I don't ask...they can't tell.

I go along with Bennym

If you are approached by a police officer or another person of authority, it is usually due to them being notified by a "concerned" citizen :shock:who has no other things to complain about on that given day. Gil

:D I hear ya Gil........ A lot of people with nothing better to do...:lol:

I haven't had a problem.......... yet.... :spin:

Back
Top Bottom