• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Massachusetts members?

Roger B

Forum Supporter
I know there are a few, but I am wondering who is from Massachusetts? I live in Salem and would love ideas for detecting in Mass.

Webster Mass here. I keep a boat in Gloucester so I get up your way a lot all summer. We will have to get together some time. Cladius.

I'm not in Mass, but if you ever get the urge to hunt in RI, let me know! As for hunting, try getting up to the beaches in Chatham, I've heard some interesting stories about the beaches there and gold and silver coins being found there.

Tkid I am not far from you. I am right on the Ma/Ct/RI boarder. I was hiking in RI today. Cladius.

Cladius said:
Webster Mass here. I keep a boat in Gloucester so I get up your way a lot all summer. We will have to get together some time. Cladius.
I fished a Bass Tournament at Webster Lake a few years back, thats a nice lake for fishing. Maybe some day us Mass folks could do a hunt together?

Treasurekidd said:
I'm not in Mass, but if you ever get the urge to hunt in RI, let me know! As for hunting, try getting up to the beaches in Chatham, I've heard some interesting stories about the beaches there and gold and silver coins being found there.
Treasurekidd thanks for responding.
I'm looking forward to hitting the beaches on the cape, but I have to ask, is it better to search the sand where everyone sits or is it better to search the low tide area?
Thanks

Roger, if you are new to the ACE250, hitting the dry sand is probably more productive, as the wet sand will drive you nuts with lots of false signals due to the salt mineralization. I've used my ACE250 on the salt beaches here in RI, and I find that if you start off in JEWELERY mode, you can eliminate most of the falsing, but then, you may be missing smaller gold items like earrings or thin gold rings. If you are new to the ACE, try using it from the tide line on up for awhile, and then try it in the wet sand to compare the differences. Once you get used to it, you'll be able to tell the difference (most of the time) between a false signal and a good solid target. Overall, it's not as good as a true beach or water machine in the wet sand, but it can be done somewhat effectivley. Good luck!

well like cladious knows im from the area of the webster town but dont live there anymore . im in NH now but know a few spots i would love to hunt down there and will some time this summer maybe we can all get together and go hunt the spots i know of anyway let me know some time soon thanks josh NH

I'm from Boston---Although it might not seem like it there are a number of places to detect here for being a major city, including beaches, parks, woods etc (of course one problem is that all the land in the city is owned by a variety of different entities, so research and permission are important).

Luckily there is a good amount of information available on who owns what, so it could be a great place to come and swing for a day.

Sorry for posting late, but I just found out about this forum :) I'm from Wellesley, MA. As of late, most of my hunting has been in my backyard...since the cottage that I rent is on the site of an old farm that was around since the late 1700's.

Welcome to the site drb. This should be a good opertunity to get some Mass people together. Any takers? Cladius.

is anyone else out in the wilds of western MA? I am north of
Amherst, & like drb I've mostly been digging at home because
we're on old farmland too.

If my property was around from the 1700's I would be huntin it hard! If you guys want to do some serious hunting hook up with Angel. He don't mess around and has a real nose for silver! Cladius.

Cladius said:

Wow ... I hung out in Glouchester for a bit ... long story. I remember visiting a pub there near the shore. I'm sure there's a few of them, but I can't remember the name of the one I visited.

No biggie, but it goes to show how small a world it is. I used to live in Akron, Ohio, too.... just for a year ... Springfield Township. Went to high school in Springfield for a year and was on the news way back when they cut bus routes. I was one of the students referred to as an "appathetical little brat" by one of the principals. :lol: By the end of the year they learned something a little different about me. I'm STUBBORN! !! :yes: I guess it's the Irish in me. :P

I too live in Mass. and definitely would be interested in a group hunt. 
Now all we need is a place to hunt such as an old amusement park, drive in, or carnival grounds.
Any ideas anybody? :?:

On the old forum we tried to organize a group hunt at the old Rocky Point Amusement park in Warwick, RI., but we couldn't get permission to hunt the property. :(

PocketChange

I remember that pocketchange. Too bad you couldn't get in there! Did they ever develope that property? Seems any time I've tried to get into an area that's being developed people are afraid of the liability of some one getting hurt and sueing them.

Hey Cladius,

Treasurekidd would probably know better than I as he lives in Warwick, but last I read about it was that they are still haggling over how many or what type of condos they are going to build.

So the old amusement park still sits as it did last year and it looks like they won't break ground now until next year (2007).

PocketChange

Yes, Rocky Point. (Sigh) The park itself is still rotting away, but from what I understand, the bankruptcy case is finally nearing an end. All that's left is for the court to approve the multi-million dollar offer, and down comes the ruins of the park, and up go luxury condos, with, from what I understand, minimal or no public access to the shoreline.

I tried to get permission to hunt the area last summer, and got favorable reccomondations from the Mayors office and Senator Chafee's office, but the SBA lawyers still turned me down. And, not that I would, but there is NO sneaking in there, either. The local police really enforce the NO TRESSPASSING rule, and they do prosecute. Such a waste of a true RI historical treasure. If only I had $31 million to top the current $30 million offer.

(Sigh)

like I said the %^##@ing lawers are taking over. Everyone is so worried they are gonna get sued they won't let you do anything! And same goes for the state, try and get permission from the state to do anything and see the system work! I used to bow hunt on a few hundred acers until a group planning on developing it bought it out, I even had one of the partners son vouch for me (he's a state cop) offer to sign a non suit agreement and they still wouldn't grant me prmission even just to bow hunt. now i had been hunting this property for 15 years or so prior to this with no issues. Sorry about the rant it just pisses me off. Cladius.

Back
Top Bottom