Space Camp!!

143Chaos

Stuck at a hotel in Huntsville, Alabama for a couple weeks ~ A couple of kids at Space Camp.... Anyone know of any good places to go hunt?
Any input would be great!! :D

We used to go down to Gulf Shores. Pensacola Beach isn't too far from the Shores and is about 5 miles off shore across 2 causeways.
Lotsa beach!

We sent all 4 of our kids to Space Camp. Al at different times.
Great experience.

We used to go down to Gulf Shores. Pensacola Beach isn't too far from the Shores and is about 5 miles off shore across 2 causeways.
Lotsa beach!

We sent all 4 of our kids to Space Camp. Al at different times.
Great experience.

Yep I agree. Pensacola would be awesome!

I lived in Huntsville for years. Best bet is to go downtown Huntsville in the historic section and try between the street and sidewalk. Or else out in the country and find some old home sites. Unless you know the area, it is tough to tell you where to go. I hunted in the Paint Rock valley not too far from Huntsville and you could find some very old homesites along that road, found many with old headstones form the Spanish American war. Never took my detector to any of those sites. Sure wish I had.

If you go out (565 turns into 72E) 72E past Gurley, 72 will take a sharp turn to the right, in that corner there will be a road that goes off to the left over a R&R track. Travel down that road about 8 miles and you will see a convenience store on the right, take the next road to the right, after a 1/4 mile you will cross a bridge, turn right onto a dirt road. It will eventually get to where you cant drive any further. Walk down that dirt road a couple miles and you will start seeing about 8-10 old wooden house that are dilapidated. Many times you will find limestone chimneys only.

Since you are near Madison, you can find "old hwy 20", and travel West on it to find some old homes, many of the roads off of that run you into older homes. I used to own a satellite place in Huntsville, and drove all those back roads finding some real old homes. Wish I could join you.

If you want to look for civil war, there are areas near Huntsville, but I would suggest a small town called Bridgeport. It is out 72 E quite a few miles, but in downtown Bridgeport there is a bridge that crosses the Tennessee river, it was blown up during the civil war, but a big battle happened on the hill just by the bridge. I used to find all kinds of items down by the river when I was a kid. Plain site items. While you are out that way, check out a place called Russel Cave. The kids will love it, if they have any time.

Thanks for all the info!! Florida is out of the question since one of the kids is day camp only. I did hit a local park ~ Only found one coin during my short search. A 1936 Buffalo Nickel. I also found a 1968 Shell Oil Presidential Coin ~ Woodrow Wilson.
I may have to go hunt down those old home sites, or hit a few schools before the kids head back in a few days.
Thanks again everyone!

Back
Top Bottom