WW2 relics?

AW1Phillips

So I searched a remote hill side yesterday about a 1-2 miles from Asan beach, Guam. This is the beach were half of the invasion force landed during the WW2 battle for Guam. I found a .50 cal round which I'm certain was fired from the US side but I have some other things I would like yall to look at. I'm just not sure what the large object on the far left is, any ideas? I Believe the metal chunks are shrapnel since there is lots of this stuff scattered everywhere. The metal does have some wired grooves on it. What do you guys think? For reference there's a New .380 round on right for size compression.

Attachments

• WW2.jpg
    WW2.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 1,849
Last edited:
So I searched a remote hill side yesterday about a 1-2 miles from Asan beach, Guam. This is the beach were half of the invasion force landed during the WW2 battle for Guam. I found a .50 cal round which I'm certain was fired from the US side but I have some other things I would like yall to look at. I'm just not sure what the large object on the far left is, any ideas? I Believe the metal chunks are shrapnel since there is lots of this stuff scattered everywhere. The metal does have some wired grooves on it. What do you guys think? For reference there's a New .380 round on right for size compression.

My fist thought was Japanese grenade fuse, but it doesn't exactly match any I have seen. Can you post a few more pictures of different angles?

closer pictures

Here are some closer pics i took after taking a wire brush to it. It looks to have copper or brass coated top plate and small gears. The pipe or handle and lower parts have some sort of shiny metal to it. i hope its a relic.

Attachments

• IMG_3800.jpg
    IMG_3800.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_3801.jpg
    IMG_3801.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
With the small gears and the brass (copper) parts, it may be the internals of some sort of timed explosive fuse. This is just a guess, since I have never seen one taken apart.

Here are some closer pics i took after taking a wire brush to it. It looks to have copper or brass coated top plate and small gears. The pipe or handle and lower parts have some sort of shiny metal to it. i hope its a relic.

yeah now that its cleaned up I can see it is not a grenade fuse. The gears and offset peg on the underside make me believe it was used in something much larger and mechanical.

Back
Top Bottom