Medievel pommel?

JeremyN

Greetings again folks,

So I was out enjoying a dry day on the field yesterday when I noticed a round ring of green grass that stood out on the yellow/light green grass. I immediately said to myself "Aha! Roundhouse".
A few minutes later I had myself what appears to be a very old key end and a decorated piece of metal that looks like a dagger pommel to me.

attached are pics, the automatic resize turned them around though.

Does anyone have a better idea of what this could be? Many thanks in advance.
Jeremy

PS: location is N/E Germany in Brandenburg state.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Hi Jeremy. That's one of those pieces you may never know unless you take it to a museum. I don't think it's a stove foot. Too small and looks like bronze to me. I looked at both, medieval and roman dagger and small sword images. Your piece could be a close match to many of them. Get it to a museum or university history dept. We just don't see a lot of ancient bronze pommels over here, although, I wish we did. Best of luck on it. Do post if you get an ID, very neat piece.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I will take it into the local museum and see what they will say.

Great find please keep us posted.

What's a roundhouse? Same as an outhouse ?

Man these type of finds are very cool. What I love about these finds is trying to find out what it is. I would def go ask your local archeologist or museum. Forums are great but you are gonna get a lot of different replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi again, I just wanted to show you all what drew me to search where I did and why I thought it might be a roundhouse.

I took a pic of the location showing a clear circle (the dog helpfully standing in the middle) and just did a simple photoshop double exposure to bring out the circle a bit more.

Word has it that my village once had a medievel Knight settlement located here so I`m hoping for lots more finds to come.

picture.php

HH
Jeremy

Wow, roundhouses, medieval knights and good beer. I'll be right over. I'd be all over that field whenever I could. I really love the old stuff. For my area that's 1600's. I'd be in heaven hunting your locations.

Meant to ask, what detector are you using Jeremy?

Hi, I am using a beginners detector the Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 the wife bought me last birthday.

I`d love to upgrade but finances are going to be tight for a couple of years with building a second floor into the roof of the house.

I bet with a better machine all sorts will pop out as no one has detected here since 1930. Once I can upgrade I get to enjoy going back over the same place all over again :p

Hi again, I just wanted to show you all what drew me to search where I did and why I thought it might be a roundhouse.

I took a pic of the location showing a clear circle (the dog helpfully standing in the middle) and just did a simple photoshop double exposure to bring out the circle a bit more.

Word has it that my village once had a medievel Knight settlement located here so I`m hoping for lots more finds to come.

HH
Jeremy

Google Earth may show you more information on the possible roundhouse?

Nothing shows on google earth even using the historical function. Rumseys maps overlay only goes back to 1893. I`m going to have to hit the museum archives most likely.

where I am there´s not much satellite photos taken.. its pretty remote.

Nothing shows on google earth even using the historical function. Rumseys maps overlay only goes back to 1893. I`m going to have to hit the museum archives most likely.

where I am there´s not much satellite photos taken.. its pretty remote.

If it was a site of habitation in the past there should be a source of fresh water?

water... yes indeed :D

field in pink blue is the lakes. My house backs on to the one on the left.

picture.php

This is the type of map I was referring too, you can see the old field boundaries and the Bronze Age round house. ( Bronze Age: c. 2500 until c. 800 BC.)

Site is an ex WW2 airfield about 5 miles from where I live.

Last edited:
nothing as clear as that.. i can´t even see the place I dug on the map.. no circle at all.
There is a figure eight though nearby with what looks like a rectangle around it so crossed fingers.

there are only 3 satellite images to go from for my area dating back to 2009 and the latest being 2016. Poor quality too as we are off the beaten track.

nothing as clear as that.. i can´t even see the place I dug on the map.. no circle at all.
There is a figure eight though nearby with what looks like a rectangle around it so crossed fingers.

there are only 3 satellite images to go from for my area dating back to 2009 and the latest being 2016. Poor quality too as we are off the beaten track.

I did a Google search for local history and came up with this *site which I can search through the ages from:

Earlier Prehistoric to 2018 for any historic sites or data.

*The Somerset Historic Environment Record.

Back
Top Bottom