Strange: blue bubbles and water in my tumbler

Mikey48

Forum Supporter
I put in a load of clad to clean yesterday in the early afternoon. I started it out and ran it for four hours with a few drops of dish soap and about a tablespoon of borax in with the gravel and water.
After four hours, I opened up the drum and washed out the dirty red-brownish water and bubbles from the soap, rinsed out the gravel and added the same dish soap and borax along with about a
teaspoon of clear ammonia to try to speed things along, since there was not a lot of progress evident in the cleaning.

This morning, I opened up the drum after running all night and the bubbles in the drum were a sky blue color and the water had a definite blue cast to it. The coins are 3/4 clean and mostly pretty bright.
I am wondering what the blue color is from. There must be some chemical reaction going on. I thought borax was nonreactive. There was no gas pressure in the drum when I opened it.

Any Chemists out there with information to share?

So the ammonia is reacting with the copper. i think its ammonia and copper chloride makes a blue copper percipitate? could be wrong though google might know

Those darn blue bubbles, I get them every time I eat blue snow cones, where did you get the water for your tumbler?:lol:

Wish I had taken a picture of the tumbler barrel with the lid off, foam like a head on a beer, but blue. Almost all the clad was dark red-brown when the coins went into the barrel, so it probably has something to do with copper forming (as copper sulfate?). Not sure why this time it's blue and never was before when I cleaned my clad. I have used ammonia in the tumbler before, just not with borax.

Years ago they used to use "bluing" for cleaning laundry I believe, maybe you just made some.

Back
Top Bottom