“No way, that’s too thick to be gold, it’s probably a brass fitting!”

sandgroper

Elite Member
Most of the rain from the cyclone has cleared now, so I decided to hit a park which I regularly detect (found a 9k ring there last week). I spent an hour or so there, and only found a few dollars, so I decided to move on to a nearby university.

15 minutes into hunting, I get a strong 12:41/42 on the CTX at 3cm. I think to myself ‘probably just another bottle cap, a silver ring if I’m lucky’, so I scrape away the top layer of leaves and dirt, and to my disbelief I see what appears to be a gold ring sticking in the dirt. I pull it out slowly, and notice how thick it is, and given how high it rang up, I just think to myself “No way, that’s too thick to be gold, its probably just another brass fitting”. I wipe the inside clean and to my delight I see a ‘9ct’ stamp! :grin: It's been scratched by a mower, but the damage is repairable, and I’ll take 11g of 9k gold any day, in any condition! :)

Clad total for today wasn’t too impressive (about $4.50) but I don’t care, I’ve found my second dirt gold ring for the year! :)

Attachments

• IMG_2161.jpg
    IMG_2161.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 629
  • IMG_2164.jpg
    IMG_2164.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_2165.jpg
    IMG_2165.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 609
9k is an unusual alloy amount. They usually go in increments of 10k, 14k , 18k, etc... But we never argue with gold, eh ? :laughing:

Wow those are copper penny numbers, nice snag on the 9CT!

Thanks cellrdwellr! :)

9k is an unusual alloy amount. They usually go in increments of 10k, 14k , 18k, etc... But we never argue with gold, eh ? :laughing:

I'm definitely not going to complain about 9k gold! 9k gold is quite common over here, at least four of the seven gold rings I've found are 9k

.... I'm definitely not going to complain about 9k gold! 9k gold is quite common over here, at least four of the seven gold rings I've found are 9k

Ahh, that's interesting information about Australian jewelry. Thanx ! Yes, I'd lower my dignity and accept 9k gold any day too, haha

Ahh, that's interesting information about Australian jewelry. Thanx ! Yes, I'd lower my dignity and accept 9k gold any day too, haha

I have seen 8K gold ring come out of a field which I think is German?

Yea yea

You would probably put it alongside all the double eagles that you west coast guys find, like us east coast guys find wheat pennies

You would probably put it alongside all the double eagles that you west coast guys find, like us east coast guys find wheat pennies

Nahh, I've *only* found two of them double eagles. $5's are probably as common as east coast wheat pennies though. BUT WHAT ARE YOU GRIPING ABOUT ? You have LC's and colonial copper in every single sand box !!

Back
Top Bottom