Where do you check city rules/regulations?

Eugene10

Elite Member
Hi Guys and Gals! Let's talk about important question - going to hunting in new city. For example I found some place that looks interesting to be detected. I went to theirs web-site, found no any regulations/rules. What should be my next steps? I am interesting not only in parks, but also in schools and curb strips. I found emails of all city managers, like police chief, assistants, clerks, directors. To whom I need to write with my question first? What is the best format of email? Ii appreciate if you provide any samples! Thank you in advance :)

Good Question. If the city's own website does not have links to their muni codes, laws, park rules, etc.... Then here's some other alternatives:

a) You go to city hall and ask "Hi. Where can I find a complete listing/collection of all the muni. charter, codes, laws, park rules, etc... ?" Then they should be able to direct you to where it exists in physical form. Eg.: like in binder form behind the front counter, etc.... Or where it exists @ a web-link that perhaps you just couldn't find on your own.

b) if you have city personnel as you say, you can email them with the same question in (a) above.

c) if the person(s) you're asking side-skirt the question and say "what is it that you wanted to know?", you stick to your guns and say ".... to view the city muni codes, rules, laws. For a research project personal interest topic I'm studying".

Once you've found it, if there's nothing saying "no metal detectors", presto, it's not prohibited :cool:

Thank you, guys! I never heard about these codes. At first it looks like there is a lot of stuff that have to be read, maybe thousands of pages...

Thank you, guys! I never heard about these codes. At first it looks like there is a lot of stuff that have to be read, maybe thousands of pages...
In this particular town after skimming through. I found no mention of metal detecting or metal detectors. However it has the same "no defacing, no plant removal etc" that every park and town has. Just make sure you are super good at target removal before stepping onto a nice lawn or park. Usually when there is no detecting the rules flat out say such. Go at non peak times.

You can skim headings, to see what's within a section. So if 30 pages deal with "vehicles and traffic", you can skip that. If 20 pages deal with "animals", you can skip that, etc.... The parts you want will usually always be in the parks & rec. sections. Which is usually just a page or two with the usual like "no alcohol", "dogs on leash", etc.... Very rarely is there ever a municipal code where such a rule is border to border within the city. In fact, I can't think of a single example.

And if it's a website, often there will be key word searches. Just do a key word search on variations of "metal detector", "detecting" etc....

... I found no mention of metal detecting or metal detectors. However it has the same "no defacing, no plant removal etc" that every park and town has. Just make sure you are super good at target removal ......

Correct. Leave no trace and you haven't defacED or removED anything. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom