State/City park permission letter?

deeptarget

Forum Supporter
Looking for help here. I really could use a sample permission letter for targeting City or State parks only. I know most areas are off limits but I would like to hit the beach area of my local state park. I would need the ok from the park manager to do so. I have info on who to send it too just not a good letter to use.

If you have a letter that you could share that would be awesome. Again I only need help with letters targeting City or State officials!

Thanks for all the help !

I am willing to bet, while you are thinking about this.. There have been plenty of people hitting the exact areas you mention for a long time now...

<°)))>{

Im fine with that! Just need a new place to get out in the sun and detect. I finally have a ctx and would not mind getting in the water with it. Here in Denver there is almost NO water to hunt in where people have been.

..... I would like to hit the beach area of my local state park. I would need the ok from the park manager to do so....

Deep-target, starting with state parks part of your question: Colorado is one of the states that has no laws/rules forbidding detecting in your state parks. So where did you come up with the notion that you "need the ok" from the "park manager" to detect then?

If you're going to say "from the FMDAC's state by state listing", then ....... read it more closely. Don't just rely on the single sentence answer on the right. Click on the state's name to the left. That brings up a more detailed couple of paragraphs. Notice it clearly says:

"Metal detecting is not specifically addressed by Colorado State Park Regulations "
and "....recreational metal detecting in Colorado State Parks is fine."

Therefore, the part about "... with permission from park office", is nothing more than commentary. Not "actual law" At the bottom you can see they've come up with various things would could be *construed* to apply to detecting (cultural heritage, harming earthworms, etc...), but they openly say that there is no rules forbidding detecting. Therefore the part about "with permission" is not a law, per se. It's just an opening line in a letter that got sent back to the FMDAC's "pressing question", years ago when they compiled that list.

If you can find ANYWHERE outside that list, where it's in actual law or rules there that truly said "with permission only", let us know. But otherwise, that link itself is saying it's not prohibited. And nothing they cite in their laws says "with permission".

This is one of the short-falls of that FMDAC list. This happens on multiple other states too. But afterawhile, it just gets picked up and passed on, as if it were "actual law". The only "actual law" part, is the parts they themselves cite for you there.

As for the city part of your question, where are you getting the information that a permission is needed for whatever city you have in mind ?

Living in Denver for some time, just cause its not a "LAW" does not mean that park rangers are not crazy and harassment is rampid. I have heard some horror stories.

I am not one for confrontation and unfortunately detect only where i am not hassled. A written letter I have heard from locals is what leaves the park ranger from messing with me.

While I appreciate your advice and info. I have my own way of doing things and a letter for permission would put me at ease. So i can just enjoy my day detecting with no worries. I know they have been given out in the areas that I want to detect I just want a good letter that he wont say no too. Thanks .

Living in Denver for some time, just cause its not a "LAW" does not mean that park rangers are not crazy and harassment is rampid. I have heard some horror stories.

I am not one for confrontation and unfortunately detect only where i am not hassled. A written letter I have heard from locals is what leaves the park ranger from messing with me.

While I appreciate your advice and info. I have my own way of doing things and a letter for permission would put me at ease. So i can just enjoy my day detecting with no worries. I know they have been given out in the areas that I want to detect I just want a good letter that he wont say no too. Thanks .

Continue what you are doing to satisfy your curiosity. None of us are licensed to practice law in Colorado so none of us can address the question properly.

On line State Park Regulations for Colorado can be found here:

State Park Regulations: http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/RulesRegs/Regulations/PCh01.pdf APPEARS TO BE A DEAD LINK

State Park Metal Detecting Rule and Regulation Detail:You may use metal detectors in the parks, but you cannot remove anything from the parks.

CHAPTER 1 - PARKS AND OUTDOOR RECREATION LANDS ARTICLE I - GENERAL PROVISIONS RELATING TO PARKS AND OUTDOOR RECREATION LANDS AND WATERS

#100; It shall be prohibited

2. To remove, destroy, mutilate, modify or deface any structure, water-control device, poster, notice, sign or marker, tree, shrub or other plant or vegetation, including dead timber and forest litter, or any object of archaeological, geological, historical, zoological or natural/environmental value or interest on Parks and Outdoor Recreation Lands. (This regulation does not include removal of firewood from designated firewood areas, noxious weeds as defined by statute, or recreational gold mining within the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area, except where prohibited as indicated by posted signs.)

Colorado State
Parks13787 South Highway 85
Littleton, CO 80125
303-791-1954

Denver parks have been heavily detected for decades by many. Laws against property damage were written before detectors were invented. If you don't do damage, which a reasonable person would define as something bad enough to need repair, I doubt you'll have any problems. If there aren't signs in a city park saying no detecting, you should be OK. You should read the rules under park & rec on the website of the city you plan to detect. Read the city code on city website or put metal detecting in search box.

There must be a detecting club in a metro area that large. Some if them would know if any towns in that region have restrictions or bans. It is almost unheard of in any city park anywhere to get a penalty for non-destructive digging other than being asked to leave. If your digger isn't a large shovel & you put dirt & grass back in place you should be OK. Any city that truly wants no detecting should have signs posted. Usually the mission statement of park & rec is to offer the widest variety of rec. possible.

Long ago, I was detecting with my dad in an old Minneapolis park. A police officer came up to my dad & said they got a complaint about people digging all over the park. He said to my dad you're just cutting a plug, & replacing it, right? My dad said yes. The officer said this is ridiculous! Some people who live by the park think it's part of their yard. I'm gonna tell the dispatcher not to give me any more calls like this!

I heard detecting was banned in St. Paul, MN city parks. I called city hall & asked & they read from old book no digging. I asked if my screwdriver was considered a shovel. Then they read no disturbing of dirt or grass. They suggested I call the police, so I did. I asked them if I could be fined for detecting St. Paul parks. They said maybe if I left a big hole that could injure someone. He said use your own discretion (freedom to act or judge on one's own) & that they had more important things to do than stop detecting.

Another thing that is important is to wear headphones. The man I bought my 1st detector from detected without headphones to help him sell detectors. I told him a place my dad & I did good & he said he got kicked out. There were lots of people there including a few cops when my dad & I detected there a few times & never any trouble.

Another thing to remember is that lots of cops detect, so you probably don't need to head to your car if you see one coming towards you. They might say "find anything?" if they say anything. My dad & I were detecting a fairgrounds & soon after we got there the sheriff came over. Friendly guy who liked to joke. He said since they call it coin shooting, I wonder if I could take my gun & shoot some coins out of the ground?

You're my favorite type detectorist. While you're worrying over a letter, I go find the goods. Much abliged!

Seriously though...just go detecting unless specifically banned. This is America. The worst thing that can happen is the cop shoots you in the back 8 times while you're in the water. :)

I do detect local city parks all the time without letters or anything! This one particular STATE park you must have permission to hunt from the park manager..Even though it is not illegal per say to hunt in this STATE park the manager and his rangers are everywhere and will stop you and harass. If you have a permission letter they leave you alone. (sucks but hey its life)

While I have gotten many opinions on this tread not one person has even attempted to share a letter that has worked for them!

I do detect local city parks all the time without letters or anything! This one particular STATE park you must have permission to hunt from the park manager..Even though it is not illegal per say to hunt in this STATE park the manager and his rangers are everywhere and will stop you and harass. If you have a permission letter they leave you alone. (sucks but hey its life)

While I have gotten many opinions on this tread not one person has even attempted to share a letter that has worked for them!

Give this a try, keep it very short, simple, and to the point. The more you add, the more complicated things get.....

"Dear __________;

It is my understanding that in order to metal detect in __________, I need written permission from your office.

Would you be so kind as to supply me with the required permission letter?

Thank you,

Your name, etc. "

deep target, thanx for clarifying you're meaning state parks (and not city level parks). Ok. And in-so-far as state parks go, it appears you're acknowledging that detecting is allowed. And that written permission is not a pre-requisite, right ? And that your only reason for wanting written permission, is so that if you're hassled, right ?

But then you turn around and say:
.....This one particular STATE park you must have permission to hunt from the park manager..

Huh ? Where does that one park state that is a law, that permission is required ? If you're acknwledging that state-wide, this is not a mandate, then is it written somewhere, that this singular park, is an exception to that ?

How about this: I have the perfect solution to your "letter" to deflect busy-bodies: You print out the regulations showing that in fact that the rules are silent on the subject (ie.: do not forbid it). Presto, there's your "letter" :cool:

Because the risk of going and seeking "permission letters", is you may get a "no", simply on whim (like for the "remove and take" clauses that Gary alludes to, for instance). And worse yet: with multiple persons asking, then ... it might only be a matter of time before someone dreams up the notion that it's time to "make a no-detecting rule" to address these "repeated pressing questions". While the whole time, as gordonquixote points out, others are detecting no problems there.

But yes: I don't disagree that there are times when we ALL risk bumping into busy bodies. But solution, IMHO, is not to go around seeking their blessings prior-to-start (lest you get arbitrary no's, where you might have simply been ignored). Instead the solution is to avoid those types who might get their panties in a wad. Can't you pick lower traffic times ? And then just have the copy of regulations on hand (as your "letter") if someone decided to gripe anyhow ?

I am willing to bet, while you are thinking about this.. There have been plenty of people hitting the exact areas you mention for a long time now...

<°)))>{

That's what I have found out through experience also. What's the old saying "The meek shall inherit the earth?" It says nothing about earth which still has treasures not already found. It bites, but there is a lot of truth in that statement.

There's lots of people detecting at or before daybreak and dusk or night, without getting permissions. I personally can't dodge the responsibility of accountability for my actions of not getting the official "OK" by hunting at dark thirty. It just aint right, but the meek will still.......

Back
Top Bottom