First time asking permission - I think I was told no... (PIC)

Trisha

After reading all about the folks here asking permission to hunt older homes etc, I finally got the nerve to do it myself. I drove through some rural areas of western Michigan looking for my target. In my head, I knew exactly where I've wanted to go for a long time. It is a centennial farm about a mile from my house. I drive by it a lot but never see anyone there. Well today there was actually a vehicle parked in the driveway!

Of course I did the slow drive by like a weirdo a few times. Trying to pump myself up and convince myself that people get more yes answers than no's. On about the third drive by I pulled in. There was a new car there now. A male and female maybe in their 50's were standing outside talking. I slowly approached and tried to start up a conversation. I asked if this was their farm. The female answered that it belonged to her family. I complimented it and said I always admire it when I drive by. I told her my name and said I like to do metal detecting as a hobby. I look for older places such as hers. I said 'would it be ok if I detected your yard?'. I said I wouldn't leave any holes or do any damage.

She didn't come right out and say no. But she said 'welllll, I'll have to ask my brother-in-law'. I said ok. Then the man asked what I find. I told him I look for old coins or trinkets. I complimented her again on the farm and told her I would look for her truck again to stop back by. She said it was nice to meet me.

Overall I felt like it wasn't a hard 'no'. And she seemed really nice. I'm hoping that I can catch her again and get permission.

I have to be honest and say when I got back in my car I was shaking like a leaf. I think it was because I was so nervous about approaching a stranger. But now that I've done it once, I feel like I can do it again. I think it would be a great place to start my first farm hunt...

Looks like a great place to hunt. It definitely wasn't a 'no'. I think she wasn't the actual owner, her brother-in-law is and he is the one who would have to give permission. I think it is a good sign. Hang in there! Definitely go back again in a few days.

I felt that 'shakiness' after my first permission request as well! LOL! I am NOT an extrovert so it was hard to take that first leap. It gets easier even after several rejections. :)

. It gets easier even after several rejections. :)

Thanks! I will definitely be back! I don't think anyone actually lives there. I never ever see cars there. Now I will have to really watch. I think you're right about her now owning the property. Seems like this brother-in-law is the man in charge. I'm hoping that I can get a yes sooner or later!

And its nice to hear that it will get easier. It took me forever just to work up the courage to talk to this lady! I also keep trying to tell myself that being a woman helps. Especially when asking another woman....

I would have started by trying to get on to a property that you didn't really care about the result so much to practice. More experience and then you don't get all disappointed if you don't get it. I also wouldn't have mentioned holes or coins. I'm under the impression that most people who don't know and don't care (IE; not the ones who hassle you about divots left in the grass by squirrels at parks) just kind of have a mental gap between what happens when someone walks around with a metal detector to them leaving with a pouch of stuff. I also think that they assume (unfortunately usually correctly) that you only find garbage. So mentioning holes and coins kind of hurts. I've never asked for permission before but I'm sure you did 1000% better than whatever cringe worthy performance I'd come up with. Good luck on the next one, don't let this one get you down!

I would hit those curb strips hard.

Once I get permission I definitely will. It's on a busy road and the farm doesn't really have any homes nearby. I don't want to upset them by detecting near their property until they say it's ok. I didn't really think about the curb strips but now I know it's the first thing I'll go for :)

I would have started by trying to get on to a property that you didn't really care about the result so much to practice. More experience and then you don't get all disappointed if you don't get it. I also wouldn't have mentioned holes or coins.

I agree about the coins thing. That guy asked me and I was so nervous it just came out. I will be disappointed if I don't get permission but I'm glad I started here. It was the only place I had the courage to go up to. Even if they eventually say no, now I feel a little braver. That's something I guess.

Do you exchange any contact information with her? How will you know if she asks her brother-in-law, and the response? Sounds like a soft let down to me, obviously there were two parties involved in some sort of business, when you pulled up. Probably wasn't the best time to ask. At least you got the introduction part, and maybe get another chance to pop the question at a more relaxed time.

Do you exchange any contact information with her? How will you know if she asks her brother-in-law, and the response? Sounds like a soft let down to me, obviously there were two parties involved in some sort of business, when you pulled up. Probably wasn't the best time to ask. At least you got the introduction part, and maybe get another chance to pop the question at a more relaxed time.

These situations aren't easy, and I gauge that opinion because that's what happened on my two attempts so far to ask permission. Wishy washy replies so I left it alone. Oddly, I gave a hunt buddy a heads up on a spot near where I live that's schedule that is scheduled for making into a parking lot. Lots of history. He went there just a week later after I got my wishy washy answer and scored permission. To top it off, he was told that the spot had been detected a lot.

I takes pizazze and flair in asking permissions IMO. In my case, I'd need plastic surgery, lipo suction, a new wardrobe and charm classes. I'm great in my own world with strangers elsewhere, I pride myself with that trait. Not when walking into yards and ringing a strangers doorbell. I seem to put myself in their place and likely look apologetic in even asking.

Some people got it, some don't. I don't.

I didn't get her info. Didn't want to seem pushy. When I said I would look for her truck again she said 'do that'. I think that is promising. Or it really is a soft let down. The only way I'll know for sure is to look for her and ask again.

I didn't get her info. Didn't want to seem pushy. When I said I would look for her truck again she said 'do that'. I think that is promising. Or it really is a soft let down. The only way I'll know for sure is to look for her and ask again.

The first time is always the hardest. Now that you're past that, it gets easier. You'll know for sure about your permission the next time you talk to her.

Nice job finally getting up the nerve. Practice makes perfect. When I approach someone like that I tell them my name, exactly where I live with my wife and 2 kids.....when not working for "tell them who I work for" I relax by metal detecting...etc etc. I figure if I'm going to detect and dig on their private property they should know EXACTLY who is asking and what my intentions are. its worked 4 out 5 times so far for me. Keep at it...Good luck!

I think you did well with the exception of the "coins and trinkets" thing. Here's why - Who wouldn't like to have coins and trinkets for themselves? I always skip the words coins, treasure, jewelry, holes, dig etc. I will say would it be OK to metal detect a little bit? This implies I won't be there long. If they directly ask if I'm looking for old coins I answer "I usually find square nails, pull tabs but it's good exercise for me." No matter what they ask I'm looking for I always say this line. This indirectly answers their question and doesn't conger up thoughts of me digging up a chest full of jewels, coins and gold.

I think you did well with the exception of the "coins and trinkets" thing. Here's why - Who wouldn't like to have coins and trinkets for themselves? I always skip the words coins, treasure, jewelry, holes, dig etc. I will say would it be OK to metal detect a little bit? This implies I won't be there long. If they directly ask if I'm looking for old coins I answer "I usually find square nails, pull tabs but it's good exercise for me." No matter what they ask I'm looking for I always say this line. This indirectly answers their question and doesn't conger up thoughts of me digging up a chest full of jewels, coins and gold.

Doesn't always work for everybody. Some are better at masking their body language, and some are less perceptive. Most people get a feeling, when someone is trying to deceive them, but discount it or ignore it. A good salesman, or con-artist will quickly change the subject or direction of the conversation, to hide the deception, so the person doesn't have time to dwell. deliberately omitting key facts, is a lie of omittance, you know it, your body shows it.

I try to be completely open and honest. I really don't expect to find spectacular, and valuable stuff every hunt. Hunting a home, I expect construction junk, usually from repairs, maintenance, or improvements. Dropped pocket change, childs toys, keys. I like finding the old skeleton type keys, but most are in bad shape. Gold and silver are kind of rare finds, what we want most, of course, but not something to expect at every home.

Doesn't always work for everybody. Some are better at masking their body language, and some are less perceptive. Most people get a feeling, when someone is trying to deceive them, but discount it or ignore it. A good salesman, or con-artist will quickly change the subject or direction of the conversation, to hide the deception, so the person doesn't have time to dwell. deliberately omitting key facts, is a lie of omittance, you know it, your body shows it.

I try to be completely open and honest. I really don't expect to find spectacular, and valuable stuff every hunt. Hunting a home, I expect construction junk, usually from repairs, maintenance, or improvements. Dropped pocket change, childs toys, keys. I like finding the old skeleton type keys, but most are in bad shape. Gold and silver are kind of rare finds, what we want most, of course, but not something to expect at every home.
I do find tabs and the larger square nails. So I don't think that's deceiving. You can find these at every site without even finding a coin. Especially a silver coin. When on a curb strip and someone asks what I'm doing I say I'm looking for a lost ring. That is usually met with.. Ok hope you find it. I have only told them the truth. You can say one thing 3 different ways.

When I talk to owners I usually just introduce myself, tell them I do metal detecting as a hobby, and ask if I can run my little detector on their property. I'm a big girl (tall, not wide) and can be intimidating if I'm not careful, so I maximize on the girl factor ( :roll: Ok, old lady factor if I'm honest about it) and minimize the size of the machine. Some of them ask if I have to dig things up and I tell them I use a small tool, not a shovel, and I'll be very careful not to cause any damage.

When they ask what I'm looking for I tell them the truth, anything metal. All but two have given me permission no problem. Those two had issues with letting anyone detect, one was an old site where the owner didn't want anything removed, and the other has a legal issue with the land.

Oh, and I almost forgot... If you're not comfortable doing in person requests, you can get permission via the telephone as well. All of my first several permissions were gotten over the phone after I researched some spots and checked into the ownership on our county website to get the owner's name.

It might work better that way in some situations where people are busy when you knock, or are just wary of strangers just showing up on their doorstep. Several of those owners showed up while I was out detecting on their properties just to see what I was really doing, I suppose, and we had some nice chats. Which lead to more permissions as some of them have more than one property. So it doesn't strictly have to be face to face asking.

When I talk to owners I usually just introduce myself, tell them I do metal detecting as a hobby, and ask if I can run my little detector on their property. I'm a big girl (tall, not wide) and can be intimidating if I'm not careful, so I maximize on the girl factor ( :roll: Ok, old lady factor if I'm honest about it) and minimize the size of the machine. Some of them ask if I have to dig things up and I tell them I use a small tool, not a shovel, and I'll be very careful not to cause any damage.

When they ask what I'm looking for I tell them the truth, anything metal. All but two have given me permission no problem. Those two had issues with letting anyone detect, one was an old site where the owner didn't want anything removed, and the other has a legal issue with the land.
With a post like that you're going to have to post a photo! I can tell the truth without telling the truth. Here's the truth. I would love to find some gold coins. Maybe several? Or maybe a gold watch? Wouldn't that be a nice thing for me to dig on your property a take home? I mean if your telling the truth isn't this more like it? Telling the truth is also saying you usually find pulltabs?

With a post like that you're going to have to post a photo! I can tell the truth without telling the truth. Here's the truth. I would love to find some gold coins. Maybe several? Or maybe a gold watch? Wouldn't that be a nice thing for me to dig on your property a take home? I mean if your telling the truth isn't this more like it? Telling the truth is also saying you usually find pulltabs?

Not quite sure how to take this comment... When I'm detecting I'm looking for just that, anything metal. If it's a penny, fine. If it's an old can, fine. If it's something amazing, fine. I'm looking for it all and don't just dig for one thing or two things.

For me it's the fun of the hunt. I haven't found anything worth two shakes on any of my permission sites aside from 3 whole wheat pennies that wasn't either modern clad (and not much of that) or some type of broken junk that just happened to make my day. Like the busted can opener shaped like a ladies backside complete with garters, the squashed Ponds cream top, the hotwheels cars with missing tires and busted windshields, I can continue if you think you need more explicit details, but do I really need to?

So yeah, I have no expectation of digging up the gold mother lode in some lady's flower beds, so what I say is what I mean. I'm hunting for anything metal.

And just so you understand where I'm coming from, if I did dig up something that looked to be of value to the family in any sentimental or valuable way aside from old coins that can't be ID'd, I would at the very least give them the option of having those things. I'm no thief, and not a dishonest person. And saying what I say isn't dodging, it's just the truth whether or not you might think so.

Any more questions? I'm not fond of being called a liar, and I sure do hope that wasn't your intention, but I'm just not sure...

Back
Top Bottom