When you go on properties do you Split value?

Willowslover

how do you split it? do you tell people 50/50, do you give them have of the "value" I live in a very historic neighborhood and I am wondering about a little flyer or something to give out? just a thought. thanks!

On my permission sites nobody has asked to split anything... except once... the owner drove up and said if I found a cache of gold I'd have to split that one 50/50. We both had a good laugh.

Most of my knock and ask sites the people don't seem to care although I always go back when I'm finished and thank them for letting me hunt there and I always offer anything that might be of family/personal interest to them. Nobody has even taken me up on those type of finds, but then again I haven't dug up Grandma's wedding ring or anything.

I hunted an empty lot once and when I got the original permission, the guy said that if I found anything of value that we would split it. I said sure and started my hunt. The hunt did not go real well and I found some clad and a couple of wheats. When I went back to the house to show him what I found, his wife came up and said " I collect those wheat pennys so I want them. I told her of the agreement that I made with the husband but she insisted on taking the wheat cents. I just left all my finds with them and said thanks for the opportunity and left. I stopped sharing finds after that hunt because I just don't want to argue with anyone. Usually if the conversation turns to can we split the finds, I just go somewhere else. If I spend my money on the detector and my time in hunting, I'm keeping what I find. The only exception that I would make in that rule would be an identifyable keepsake of some kind that I could return to the owner or family or if I had been asked there to find something specific. Trying to figure out who keeps what in a split agreement is just too much hassle.

This is a great question, a lot of threads give tips on asking for permission , not much thought about actual ownership legal wise. If you found a jar full of rare gold coins and the owner sees you and makes a claim them , do you have any legal rights ? I plan on asking permission and thought it might be better to offer cash to hunt and a paper saying I will not sue should I get hurt.
I don't know if this relates , but in NYS we have a law to protect land owners from being sued by hunters . Basicly if you allow them to hunt they cannot sue if you charge for access they can .
The laws may differ some from state to state ,but in general who is liable for injury or property damage and who really owns the finds . On city lots there may not be many hazards but around country homes there are..
HH

I usually just say "You're welcome to anything I find". And I HAVE YET to have anyone actually take everything I've found, or even do 50/50, etc...

What I usually do when done, is to have in my mind an item I want (for example, a collectable saloon token or whatever). And when showing them all the coins (silver, wheaties, etc...), I'll pull the one I want aside, and say "I collect this particular type token. Can I have this, and you have all those?". The average person usually agrees to that, or just says "you can have all of it".

You'd be surprised at how "dazzled" people are with a buffalo nickel that's probably not even worth 15c, yet ........ a token (worth $100+) might be boring to them. :laughing:

I don't clean any of it on site, just knock off the bulk of the dirt, so I'm not carrying an excess. Never had anyone want to even touch the stuff, let alone keep anything. None of the homes, where of complete strangers, and doubt they would have wanted to keep anything anyhow. But, I'd always show what was found, and would have any regrets, if the owner wanted to look through the stuff, or keep anything. I'd hope to get a few pictures. I hunt just for fun, so getting to hunt a private property is extra nice, anything I leave with, is more than I had, before asking to hunt. Most people have been more interested in all the nails and sharp stuff, than the coins.

You want to give the owner a positive experience, share the experience with them. They talk to their neighbors. If you give them something good to share, it's great advertising. The other properties surrounding theirs, will have a similar history. Don't really think you can get it all in one hunt either, so if you find some good stuff, you might want to return to hunt it some more. Good stuff there, probably more of the same next door...

What's really the incentive for a homeowner, to let a complete stranger trample all over the yard, dig holes, and take who knows what? I just feel they would want to get something out of it, least know how you did at the end of the day, curiosity satisfied.

I don't know if this sounds bad but sometimes not all the time if I hunt someone land and they live there if I find any silver coins input them in my shoe. I only show them the wheats in the clad. I'm not a bad person for doing this am I?

I don't know if this sounds bad but sometimes not all the time if I hunt someone land and they live there if I find any silver coins input them in my shoe. I only show them the wheats in the clad. I'm not a bad person for doing this am I?

It depends...

If you have an agreement ahead of time to show them everything you find, then yeah, that's not living up to your end of the deal.

If you have no agreement aside from permission to hunt on their end, and your end is to leave the property undamaged, then IMO you're not obligated to show anything you find. The things I do show them are things I think they might be interested in but nothing that I work hard to dig and want to keep.

I have never yet had anyone who has given me permission tell me they want any of what is dug.

One spot I didn't get permission, the lady didn't want anything leaving the site, period. It was a potentially great site but she definitely knew there might be valuable things in the ground there, and she didn't want anyone messing with them. I thanked her for her time, left her my number in case she ever changed her mind, and checked that one off the list.

This is a great question, a lot of threads give tips on asking for permission , not much thought about actual ownership legal wise. If you found a jar full of rare gold coins and the owner sees you and makes a claim them , do you have any legal rights ? I plan on asking permission and thought it might be better to offer cash to hunt and a paper saying I will not sue should I get hurt.
I don't know if this relates , but in NYS we have a law to protect land owners from being sued by hunters . Basicly if you allow them to hunt they cannot sue if you charge for access they can .
The laws may differ some from state to state ,but in general who is liable for injury or property damage and who really owns the finds . On city lots there may not be many hazards but around country homes there are..
HH

Wow, NY is a tough place... In general, if the land owner gives you permission to hunt and remove any and all items you find from the property, then you have the right to do so by virtue of the legal owner "giving" you the interest in those items.

IMO (and others may and probably will have a different perspective) if you dig up a jar of gold coins and the owner sees them, you might as well try to negotiate a deal because that's beyond the scope of what the owner might reasonably believe might be buried in their yard, (that reasonable man thing weighs heavy in a lot of legal matters) and might negate your original permission if they pressed the issue.

As to the liability for injury thing, it varies as you are aware from state to state. In most places any homeowner who allows a person on their property can be held liable for any injuries. It's part of a person's homeowner's insurance. The flip side to that is, if I trip over a rock and stab the heck out of myself with my digger on some old lady's lawn I'm not even mentioning it to her, it's not her fault I'm klutzy...

I personally would never sign anything to get to hunt, or pay money to hunt. Either I get a clean yes with no strings attached or I go on down the road. Things like that can come back to haunt a person and I'd rather get in, do my hunting, thank the owner for letting me hunt, and get the heck out.

I hunted an empty lot once and when I got the original permission, the guy said that if I found anything of value that we would split it. I said sure and started my hunt. The hunt did not go real well and I found some clad and a couple of wheats. When I went back to the house to show him what I found, his wife came up and said " I collect those wheat pennys so I want them. I told her of the agreement that I made with the husband but she insisted on taking the wheat cents. I just left all my finds with them and said thanks for the opportunity and left. I stopped sharing finds after that hunt because I just don't want to argue with anyone. Usually if the conversation turns to can we split the finds, I just go somewhere else. If I spend my money on the detector and my time in hunting, I'm keeping what I find. The only exception that I would make in that rule would be an identifyable keepsake of some kind that I could return to the owner or family or if I had been asked there to find something specific. Trying to figure out who keeps what in a split agreement is just too much hassle.

I agree, there's always that mess at the end to split things up and the hunter probably won't win, so why make the agreement in the first place. There are always places to hunt where nobody cares what you find.

I agree, there's always that mess at the end to split things up and the hunter probably won't win, so why make the agreement in the first place. There are always places to hunt where nobody cares what you find.

I had no agreement with the land owner it was just a door knock and they said yes. I sometimes do what I do just in case they ask me to see what I found. Is it wrong to do this?

I had no agreement with the land owner it was just a door knock and they said yes. I sometimes do what I do just in case they ask me to see what I found. Is it wrong to do this?

Like I said, if you have no agreement to show or share your finds, then IMO no, you aren't obligated to show them anything and IMO are free to show them only what you decide to.

I'm happy to spend my own time detecting, and I won't charge them for the time I spend detecting ... so my 'labor' is free to the landowner.

If they want to split the actual items I find, or if they want to split the value of the items ... I will do that too - once they pay me for half the value of my gear. That way they are still making out, in that they are still getting free labor. :laughing: (I will even let them use the gear or dig the targets if they want to pay me for half the value of my equipment!

I'm happy to spend my own time detecting, and I won't charge them for the time I spend detecting ... so my 'labor' is free to the landowner.

If they want to split the actual items I find, or if they want to split the value of the items ... I will do that too - once they pay me for half the value of my gear. That way they are still making out, in that they are still getting free labor. :laughing: (I will even let them use the gear or dig the targets if they want to pay me for half the value of my equipment!

So, if you pay for me half of what I paid for my property, I'll allow you to hunt on it... Sweet logic you've got there. Tell me, do you you have a lot of people calling you up, or flagging you down, begging you to come hunt their property next?

Yeah, we are doing the property owners a huge favor, trampling around their yards, digging holes, taking away only God know's what. I really like getting those knocks on my door, where a complete stranger is standing there, trying to sell me something, I don't really want or need.

Back it down a notch or two please ....

There are a lot of definitions for the word 'sarcasm' on the web ... I know it doesn't come across in print very well in print ... but that was what the :laughing: was for.

I mean really ... if a person paid for 1/2 my gear then they would be a half owner! and that could be ..... um .... problematic. Unless you would work out visitation rights and all that

Property owners have the right to ask any any detector user for some or all of the finds found on the property he/she was granted permission to detect.

A detector user can agree or disagree with any proposed split, if offered by the property owner. The detector user can take it or leave it.

if they take it, they should abide by the terms of the agreement.

Just iron out the details beforehand.

Hiding good finds from the landowner and/or only showing them the trash you found is deceitful.

You are not doing the property owner any real favors as some have suggested, by removing a buried piece of foil, your detecting activities do not constitute "labor", as has been suggested in previous permission threads.

I used to allow deer, turkey and coyote hunting on my property to people who asked permission. Simple rules:I see everything you take. Result: no permission has been granted for the last 4 years because some people are deceitful and incapable of keeping their word.

if you make a deal with the landowner, abide by it, or move on to another location.

Back
Top Bottom