"Ground Tracking"?

DenDen

Forum Supporter
I keep reading my Spectra V3i manual & trying to learn as much as possible. But keep getting hung up on the term "ground tracking" I can see how to adjust it but don't really know what it does or why to use it. Simpleton layman terms and explanation would be appreciated. TIA

As far as I know ground tracking is just another term for ground balancing or how your detector is set up to handle any mineralization found in the soil you are detecting in. If your detector is not properly ground balanced, higher levels of minerals in the ground will rob you of the depth you'll need to find deeper coins such as old silver. There are three basic kinds of ground balancing, (fixed) which is preset at the factory, (manual) in which the operator has to do it himself and (auto) or (tracking) such as what you are probably talking about, where the detector automatically tracks the amount of mineralization in the ground and then adjusts itself to best handle any varying amounts of mineralization, so as to give you the most optimal performance at all times. One thing that can throw your "auto or ground tracking" OFF and thereby cost you depth is by repeatedily sweeping over a target, as your detector will begin locking in on the stronger signal from the metals in the target rather than the weaker signals from the minerals in the ground.

Ground has a VDI number like any target, Ground balance simply makes the detector lose sensitivity to that VDI. In other words it makes the ground VDI invisible to the detector.

Tracking is just the process of seeing and adjusting the ground balance as the ground changes its Vdi value. You can adjust the speed the adjustment takes place. Too slow and the threshold drops out and too fast and you get overshoot.

So auto ground tracking could have been why targets seemed to disappear on me the other day at the beach? Only second time out with V3i. I was swinging over them a lot trying to figure things out.

yeah that would be why when you find a target take it off i know the 705 automatically turns it off when you go in to pinpoint mode

Back
Top Bottom