Angry!!!! Erie County NY

DoctorTecter

Elite Member
Ok would it be right of me to email the parks department and sheriffs dept and ask that they enforce county permit? If you are the idiot doing this please throw yourself and your detecter off the peace bridge and into lake Erie. This is all over Chestnut Ridge and you will ruin it for us all. End Rant:mad:

Attachments

• 2013-05-08 09.12.13.jpg
    2013-05-08 09.12.13.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 1,841
  • 2013-05-08 09.11.47.jpg
    2013-05-08 09.11.47.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 1,789
I'll bet whom ever did that drives like an idiot too. He/she throws trash near the can if we're lucky. They pass on bad ethics to their kids and have a miserable life! There is all kinds of people in the world and it's getting very noticably crowded.
BH

I know it's annoying, but what exactly do you want the county to do? They can't baby-sit every single person who uses the parks.

Reactions: KOB
Easy. see someone detecting ask to see a permit.

You are assuming they aren't, or that they are seeing them at all. You are also assuming that the person doing this doesn't have a permit and that the enforcement officer is going to see them leaving bad holes.

Ok I got several Pm's about permits in Erie county. You can email the parks deppartment for them. Yes they are real. Yes they are free.

Thanks for the info ...

It's funny. Been detecting Erie County for 12 years and worked for Erie County for 35 years and I never heard of these permits. I even went down the 3 floors from my dept to the park dept and asked about a permit personally about 10 years ago and there was no such thing. I assume these permits were initiated within the last 10 years, probably in the Polencarz administration. I think it is a great idea and I just sent an email for mine. The County should post on their parks website about permits (they probably don't because they don't want to encourage it).

Although Josh does bring up a good point. What good is a permit if it is not required and their is no enforcement.

I think the bottom line is newbies need to dig up their property first and when they are done ask themselves if anyone would let them dig based on what they see. If the answer is no, keep practicing BEFORE detecting on public property.

Public property probably requires more careful plug replacement than private property because one bad apple can ruin it for everybody.

Hey I really hate to see that man, nice if you could run into the culprit. I'll be up in your area next weekend for a couple days detecting with my nephew. Got a pretty decent place lined up with permission already. Just called my sister in North Tonawanda to check into getting us a permit incase we decide to try a park for a change of pace. Am hoping she can call or get it in person in case we don't get it in time through the mail. Looking at Ellicott creek park and Como. See anyone making a mess there or you hunt these yourself? Thanks for making me aware of this or we would of been swinging without a permit

Hey I really hate to see that man, nice if you could run into the culprit. I'll be up in your area next weekend for a couple days detecting with my nephew. Got a pretty decent place lined up with permission already. Just called my sister in North Tonawanda to check into getting us a permit incase we decide to try a park for a change of pace. Am hoping she can call or get it in person in case we don't get it in time through the mail. Looking at Ellicott creek park and Como. See anyone making a mess there or you hunt these yourself? Thanks for making me aware of this or we would of been swinging without a permit

I live 5 minutes from Ellicott creek park and have never hunted there - I don't know why. Never even been to Como park and I have lived here for 55 years. I better get out more :laughing:

They could have a permit for all you know? How is that even relevant?

The right thing to do is to fill in the holes behind them, and not let anyone with an authority complex know there is a problem. Chances are that if they are too impatient to fill in their holes they will not keep metal detecting. If not find him and lynch him!

Took up a spare detector last time I was up for him to try out. We did my sisters yard and a neighbor. Nephew found the first silver dime. He really enjoyed it so were making this visit mainly for him, my son, and I just to spend all day Sat. and part of Sun. huntin' treasure. Plus my girl will be attending Deamen college this fall in Amherst so the wife and her will be tying up some loose ends. Beautiful area and i'm a country boy LOL. Then wings at Duff's. Really looking forward to it.

Are the holes filled in properly? No, but they are filled in and after a few rains and a week of sun, the grass will cover them up and you won't even tell someone was there. This kind of evidence of detectorists doesn't bother me, its the ones that are left with dirt on the side of the hole or bits of trash the person dug out of the ground they left on top of the hole instead of putting it in a bag and throwing it away later.

Fill the hole in, tap it down, try to make sure the grass is on top but often times the clump breaks apart and you do what you can do.

edited as to not be confrontational.

I think the bottom line is newbies need to dig up their property first and when they are done ask themselves if anyone would let them dig based on what they see. If the answer is no, keep practicing BEFORE detecting on public property.

You are assuming this is a newbie? While I agree that it very well may be a newbie, and maybe they have never learned the proper way to dig & fill there is no excuse for it. I do however, feel that this could have been done by an experienced detectorist with no respect for the property. I have seen some holes left by "veterans" that were still very visible.

Permit, shmermit. Don't rely on the government to enforce your quality of life. Self regulation should do the trick. Simply spread the word to the detecting community to keep an eye out for the offender. Odds are, one of you will see them long before a county official.

I ran into an issue when I brought a friend with me a few outings ago. He just didn't want to listen to what I was telling him. He wanted to do things his way and he kept tossing the trash he dug on the ground. I ended up having to send him on his way and because I share a car with my lady and I always get dropped off and picked up at dark, I got to carry 2 machines around the rest of the day. I also spent 2 hours going over the entire area we were in and picking up the trash he tossed all over the place. I did teach him to dig a plug and he did do a good job at that but the lack of respect he showed to me, the hobby and the public park we were in really pissed me off. So until I find someone who is into the hobby like I am I will be staying solo. I'd rather not have to question my friendships. Some people are willing to do what is expected when it comes to this hobby. Others are just lazy!!

Back
Top Bottom