Bounty Hunter Quick silver

rgn87

I got this for my birthday because it was pretty inexpensive. It has done well by me so far, as I have tripled my collection of finds. When we use it in regimented line by line fashion (walking up and down the field in rows) it finds a whole bunch of stuff. Just free wheeling not so much luck. It is 7 khp and is only has four levels of detection (iron, al/nickel, al/iron, and coins) We are really trying to find some old coins, but no such luck, just pennies. What I want to know is has anyone had any luck with this detector before? I really like it and it came with a pin pointer. Also could it be just our choice of locations (parks only). Any feedback helps.

I got this for my birthday because it was pretty inexpensive. It has done well by me so far, as I have tripled my collection of finds. When we use it in regimented line by line fashion (walking up and down the field in rows) it finds a whole bunch of stuff. Just free wheeling not so much luck. It is 7 khp and is only has four levels of detection (iron, al/nickel, al/iron, and coins) We are really trying to find some old coins, but no such luck, just pennies. What I want to know is has anyone had any luck with this detector before? I really like it and it came with a pin pointer. Also could it be just our choice of locations (parks only). Any feedback helps.

Mine found coins pretty well, most BH units can, but never too deep.
It had a real problem with mineralization and the coil was cross eyed because it never could pinpoint close to where the target was by crossing over it.
Used a ton of batteries without headphones, too.

You know what, I hated this thing and my real career in metal detecting didn't start till I started swinging something else as far as I was concerned.

You either are not searching areas with old coins or the machine just can't reach them if they are there...or both.

Some use this one and find much so maybe it is the sites you are hunting, but I gotta believe if you someday try another detector you might find more.

I have one as well and it does alright finding coins (roughly $20-$30 in clad not going out very often just a few hours on the weekends) though if they are more then about 2-3 inches deep I'd probably have a better chance pinpointing by throwing lawn darts in the general direction and hoping they would hit it. (pinpointer a must) I did find a couple of Barber dimes and a gold ring with it so I'm not going to bash on the machine much. I did just pick up the ATP so other then showing my 12 year old how to use the QS I doubt I'm ever going to look at it again. Also as Digger already stated that thing with drink batteries without headphones, not to mention wake everyone and anything within a block of where it beeps. I will give credit on one thing. I did get to test out their warranty service since my headphone jack on it went out. Sent it in from Ohio to Texas for repairs. Dropped it in the mail on the 22nd and it was back fixed on the 31st so that service was excellent in my opinion.

Not a bad machine, I found a lot of coins with it, and even some civil war relics. That said it doesn't go very deep (6 inch max) and has a slow response time. Eventually you should invest in another machine if you want to find deep old stuff at trashy sites.

For the money its great!!! and all the talk about not getting any depth dont believe it! pin pointing takes a lil practice but learn it and its cake. Pin pointers are good to use with any machine. I have found lots of coins 6+ inches. The only problem i have with it is in trashy areas like prolly the parks your hunting, find some new cleaner ground and you will be amazed. Just take your time with it and have fun. I will say after using a more expensive machine and having my QS for lil over a year i am dying to upgrade. I have had good luck with my QS and it has paid for itself in its finds 2 time over gl and hh.

Parks have been heavily detected in nearly all cases since the '70s. Imagine perhaps several thousand people detecting the same park or a few people each detecting it 100+ times. Also, fill dirt could have been added in a park renovation. Or the original dirt could have been plowed off down to 1-2 feet & the old coins taken away, perhaps giving the dirt to the state archaeologist or local historical society.

Even with expensive detectors, the majority of coins will be newer coins, unless one only detects long abandoned places. You can at least find newer coins & save them towards a better detector.

The Garrett AT Pro I have is very pleasing to me, got a 7" deep dime in dry & hard mineralized dirt & it IDed correctly on every pass. But it's over $500 new & even a used one they usually ask (and get) about $450. Can go in water down to 10', too.

The new Teknetics Eurotek Pro is pretty impressive for the price: $299 with the 11" double D coil (oval) or the 8" concentric coil (round) for $219.

The 11" DD might be somewhat deeper in mineralized ground, & would offer better side to side separation. The 11" DD coil detects all along the center & gets close to maximum depth the whole length. With the 8" coil maximum depth is only near the center of the coil. Some find the concentric coils easier when pinpointing. Both of these Eurotek Pros have non-motion pinpointing, which most prefer.

The Eurotek (*not* Pro) doesn't have non-motion pinpoint, & less iron options, $159.

They have large numerical ID, 2-3 numbers for each type of coin & the IDs don't jump as much as on many detectors. In many soils, many coins will ID accurately to 8" deep.
Air test maximum is 9" on dime & 10" on quarter with solid 100% repeatable beeps.

The Garrett AT Pro does 1" better in air tests with sensitivity at 7 out of 8, but has ground balance that might give it more depth in some soils. Best wishes, George (MN)

Since posting this we have found 16 coins, a ring, a necklace, and many other treasures. Found our first quarter today (actually found 2) and five dimes. We are only missing the nickel to complete the set. Nothing to old (1972 dime is oldest) but still lots of fun. We are looking to upgrade. Fisher F2 or Ace 250? We search in a lot of parks.

Back
Top Bottom