What is this pistol bullet?

CanSlawCartoons

Hunting a well known CW battlefield today that was, and still is farmland.

I found this dropped pistol bullet below the top soil layer and in the clay about 7 inches deep.
At first I thought it was a post war round but once I cleaned it up, it appears to be a black powder bullet but does not have the patina of CW rifle bullets I've found in same area.
I know modern black powder rifles are used for hunting today and I know people still shoot black powder pistols today but this bullet was just as deep as actual CW bullets.

The base is flat with a sprue indentation and there is a mold seam going up the side.

Anyone have any ideas?
b3fe04b13c7b1626b7e73396eafeb358.jpg
7e53633d93094314d389b12cdb4b097b.jpg
3ad63d586a1b1111084cc3d3b00a3cbf.jpg
eae9f4471fa22122fdcd734f6d5dae44.jpg

Exact diameter?

From ruler looks to be about .38 maybe .40

Does look modern but then again I do not know CW era bullets well.
Hope you get a definitive answer.

Have you found other CW bullets in that area before? Jw, in my (very limited) experience all CW bullets I have found have been a light gray or white color. I know different soils treat lead differently. Just curious if any CW bullets have been dug that dark at that spot.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Sry, I really need to start reading the entire post instead of just subject and pictures.

Sry, I really need to start reading the entire post instead of just subject and pictures.

Thats ok, I've done the same.
Yes, I have found CW bullets in same area and they all had that creamy tan patina you find on bullets found in the woods. Haven't found a pistol bullet in this area before.

The mystery deepens. I know Forrest and his calvary were on the site where this bullet was found.

And as I continue to research, this caliber of pistol bullet could be for a Colt Navy, which was carried by calvary. But the color and condition of this bullet have me stumped.

Other than being found in the water, has anyone ever dug a CW era bullet that was this color?

Back
Top Bottom