My first complete button

DirtSweeper

Found this little beauty yesterday evening on a new permission. It says R&W Robinson Extra Rich. I looked it up, it said it is civil war era. I'm curious to find out what kind of button this is. Value? Any help would be great.

Attachments

• Civil War Button .JPG
    Civil War Button .JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 274
  • Civil side 2 .JPG
    Civil side 2 .JPG
    67 KB · Views: 256
Nice button. It's an oldie, but doesn't hold much value. The one-piece construction, along with that type of back mark makes me think pre to early civil war.

Found this little beauty yesterday evening on a new permission. It says R&W Robinson Extra Rich. I looked it up, it said it is civil war era. I'm curious to find out what kind of button this is. Value? Any help would be great.

Could have been worn by a Cw soldier as they frequently work undergarment shirts from home. Unless it was found with other CW relics it's hard to tell. But its a great save and the first time always feels good!!!😉 keep searching the area.

Quoting from "American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks and Dates" By 1835 the firm was R & W Robinson and continued under that name after Richard Robinson died in 1838. The Robinson firm lost most of its civilian button trade in the 1840s & was bankrupt by the middle of the decade.

The States got the technology to make those type buttons around 1820 and by 1840 that type of button was falling out of favor. New technology was now producing mother of pearl and other type buttons. So it should be safe to say your button was made from 1835 until the mid 1840s.

And by the way, that is a very nice specimen, the backmark is particularly nice.

1800's town finds

My best finds so far at my new spot. It was an old 1800's town. To my knowledge it had a hotel, bank, and saloon.

Attachments

• DSC_1227_11962.JPG
    DSC_1227_11962.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 195
Back
Top Bottom