Little Help From Lancaster, PA

soughtseven1035

Forum Supporter
Hey guys,
So I am getting a decent metal detector and want to get back into this thing, now that I've found someone to hunt with. Anyways, I am mainly after war relics. I live in Southern Pennsylvania, so I know there are tons of old Civil War sites around here. I've tried studying maps, but it's too hard. I know a lot of places are off limits as well to preserve history. I like WWII stuff, but I am pretty sure there were no battles anywhere around here. Any type of older war stuff I am happy finding. Can someone help me out please?

The Conestoga trail is right there and lots of indian warfare and on the south side of the Sesquehanna is about as far as the confederates got into PA. WWII had no battles on US soil other than the Aleutians. Try along some of the rivers trails and the shoreline. also they recently found a rev. war prison camp in Lancaster county. try wikipedia for towns near you to find out what happened where

I have posted on a few spots to go in the area before, I am sure it is in the Pa. forum. I lived in Mount Joy for about a year before I moved here and before that in Lebanon and Dauphin counties before that for a few decades.

Hey guys,
So I am getting a decent metal detector and want to get back into this thing, now that I've found someone to hunt with. Anyways, I am mainly after war relics. I live in Southern Pennsylvania, so I know there are tons of old Civil War sites around here. I've tried studying maps, but it's too hard. I know a lot of places are off limits as well to preserve history. I like WWII stuff, but I am pretty sure there were no battles anywhere around here. Any type of older war stuff I am happy finding. Can someone help me out please?

I have permission to hunt most local battle sites and camps over in York county, maybe you could come for a hunt once the fields get plowed? There's some rev war stuff over here too. It's hard to hunt cw stuff over our way:no: now over towards carlise and gettysburg is where the goods are!:laughing:

I have permission to hunt most local battle sites and camps over in York county, maybe you could come for a hunt once the fields get plowed? There's some rev war stuff over here too. It's hard to hunt cw stuff over our way:no: now over towards carlise and gettysburg is where the goods are!:laughing:

I'd have an interest in joining if possible

New member here and I live in Lancaster as well. I'm pretty new at detecting so would love to buddy up with someone or join a group. I'd like to look for old Civil War or Rev War Relics and old coins. If anyone is interested please message me. Thanks!

Gettysburg is off limits unless you know someone who owns private land in the vicinity and allows you to detect. Only thing close to WWII era finds, would be Fort Indiantown Gap since it was used for training during WWII. Now it's part of the PA National Guard, no idea on the rules or if it's even MD is even allowed? I am thinking no, probably a lot of live rounds buried there and I think the range is still used? I know they have WWII reenactments there often.

I am originally from PA, lived in a few places York being the last, lot's of history there and places to hunt. I grew up near a town called Sunbury, which is north of Harrisburg right next to the Susquehanna, there was a Fort there once upon a time called Fort Augusta, the British assembled it in the mid 1700's and they have a museum there with some relics, also cannon balls that were found in the Susquehanna, I am sure there are more in and around there.

I figured that near the Susquehanna has tons of good spots, but I have a strong gut feeling that most of them are off limits like Gettysburg. They say that the Confederates entered Lancaster County near Peach Bottom. Anyone know of any truth to that and maybe some spots I could check out?

To my knowledge the Confederates did not get further east than the Wrightsville bridge. The Union held them there then burned down the bridge to keep them from crossing. Surely there is some relics in and around that location.

Has it been searched out or is it illegal to hunt there? I'd imagine that would be the perfect spot and many already know about it.

Nope I am not. It's so cool to finally know what those remains are. I never knew. There has to be TONS of bullets under there just sitting.

Nope I am not. It's so cool to finally know what those remains are. I never knew. There has to be TONS of bullets under there just sitting.

You don't know till you try? Might fine some artillery rounds too, get in the water before it's too cold. Not sure how deep it is there, we use to be able to walk across the river in some spots during the summer months, found all types of stuff but there is a lot of iron and junk in the river.

Yeah the Iron would make it hard, but discrimination mode works well on my detector. That is cool I didn't know that it was that shallow across the whole river.

Yeah the Iron would make it hard, but discrimination mode works well on my detector. That is cool I didn't know that it was that shallow across the whole river.

Well it's shallow certain times of the years in certain parts, I cannot say how the depth is around the bridge?

Where I grew up, which is way further north, we use to be able to walk across at certain parts.

I'm from the Lancaster area as well. I can tell you that hunting in the water wouldn't be very good. I have dove the area alot looking for artifacts and searches for the police. The area between the two bridges is very shallow, in fact in summer it is possible to walk from Columbia to Wrightsville. The problem with this area is it is swept clean by the river ice pack annually. The ice acts as a bulldozer and plows everything down river to deeper water.

Back
Top Bottom