Hello from Huntington Beach

thadd

Hey everyone!

I'm Thadd from Huntington Beach, California. I've had a nice White's detector for a few years, but have not been able to use it yet as I planned to. I think I've taken it out maybe 5 times total so far, but now I'm in the position to get out there more frequently.

I live in a mobile home here in HB, which gives me the opportunity to live only a mile from the beach since the rent isn't too bad compared to a house or apartment. This also makes it easy to get out on the sand in the evening to hunt for peoples dropped items that day. It's a quick bike ride or even walk, so I don't have to worry about parking and that kind of thing.

I'm hoping I have the luck I had the first time I went out with my detector a few years back, once I hit the sand. That first time, I was in Pismo Beach with my father and went to test out my gear, which was new at the time since I had purchased it shortly before that and had only messed with it in the back yard for a few minutes. I only had about an hour or so, since we planned to eat soon and I decided to check where the sand met some ice-plants if I remember correctly. They were near the stairs used to access the beach and it seemed like a good place to try.

I had just got started when I got a hit on something. Since it was the beach, I was using one of those scoops made of wire cage mesh with I think about 1/4" square holes. I scooped where I got the hit and when the sand rushed out the bottom there was a coin left, which looked like a penny. As I inspected it closer, I could tell it wasn't the typical back on a Lincoln and thought Wow, a wheat cent on my first try. When looking even closer, I was blown away that it was an Indian head cent. (sorry I don't remember the date) Holy cow! What are the odds of that? What made it so unusual, was the location. I'm sure this area had been dug up, moved around tons of times. And for someone with an Indian cent in their pocket to lose, they would have had to have been there many decades prior to that. If that penny could talk, I'd sure like to hear the story about how it got there. :wow:

Glad to be here folks, I hope to have some more interesting finds to post about here on the forum. :D

Hello an welcome from Panama Central America. New Port Beach and the Crab Cooker. The good old days. Best of luck to you on your hunts. White M.X.T. great Mder. slider....

Back
Top Bottom