Today in history...the moon walk

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Everyone here who is old enough remembers exactly where they were and what they're doing on 7/20/1969 at 10:56 pm EDT.
This was a very big deal.

Buzz Aldrin had 30 seconds of fuel left when he landed.

Info on Nasa's site here...

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/apollo11.html

Attachments

• 589552main_as11-40-5875_full.jpg
    589552main_as11-40-5875_full.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 119
Here's a bit of trivia regarding this great event. With the famous quote from Neil Armstrong "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind", what one word did he say (within that phrase) that didn't come through the radio transmittal?

Here's a bit of trivia regarding this great event. With the famous quote from Neil Armstrong "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind", what one word did he say (within that phrase) that didn't come through the radio transmittal?

"That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind"

Nasa's story is the small "a" didn't come through, but most believed he just flubbed the line.
Can't blame him, pretty much the entire world was watching and listening at that moment so a little stage fright can be forgiven if that happened.
Either way his meaning will go down in history.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/onesmall.asp

Reminded me of this funny pic I made earlier this year for the Word Association thread :laughing::laughing::laughing:
View attachment 390646

Also a related pic of what would make for an interesting choice of astronauts :laughing::laughing::laughing:
View attachment 390647

Tom Hanks? No Way! Sure he we all loved him in Sleepless in Seattle, but he generally performs best as a fluffer like in 'Turner and Hootch' or 'Road to Perdition'..He simply lacks certain technical skills that disqualifies him as a believable astronaut! Thats why this whole Moon Landing thing is a fake! You simply cannot perform a real Moon Landing or do a real Astronaut Space adventure without Mark Wahlburg, Ed Harris, Bruce Willis, Maybe even Geo Clooney?..even though Clooney is an acknowledged pretty boy pansy, he kept his cool in that one space movie thing with Sandra Bullock..even after he was dead..

Of course Kevin Bacon's involvement in some small support role would be important...! WTH? "Buzz Aldrin"? Nobody ever heard of him! Ask anybody who 'Buzz Aldrin' is! Nobody knows! You made that name up didnt you?

The greatest undisputed USA Astronaut of all time is Sigourney Weaver!..She has the most real world experience! Aliens, Avatar, Ghostbusters, Paul, WallE, Galaxy Quest, etc!.:laughing:

I had just got out of the hospital in Vietnam. Given a non-combat profile they couldn't send me back out in the field so I ended up as a clerk at the Division Headquarters in Bein Hoa. An office with an air conditioner was quite a change from the field. It even had a television. We were able to watch the moon landing on it. I was 24 years old at the time.

Tom Hanks? No Way! Sure he we all loved him in Sleepless in Seattle, but he generally performs best as a fluffer..He simply lacks certain technical skills that disqualifies him as a believable astronaut! Thats why this whole Moon Landing thing is a fake! You simply cannot perform a real Moon Landing or do a real Astronaut Space adventure without Mark Wahlburg, Ed Harris, Bruce Willis, Maybe even Geo Clooney?..he kept his cool in that one thing with Sandra Bullock...

Of course Kevin Bacon's involvement in some small support role would be important...! WTH? "Buzz Aldrin"? Nobody ever heard of him! Ask anybody who 'Buzz Aldrin' is! Nobody knows! You made that name up didnt you? Like the mythological figures "Lance Armstrong" or "Tiger Woods" or even "OJ Simpson"...Nobody now a days gives one diddly damn...Everybody knows...

The greatest USA Astronaut of all time is Sigourney Weaver!...:laughing:

Good point Mud !

I maybe should have had Bruce Willis in the pic instead of Tom Hanks, and even included Sigourney Weaver along with one of her "Alien" friends :laughing::laughing::laughing:

"That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind"

Nasa's story is the small "a" didn't come through, but most believed he just flubbed the line.
Can't blame him, pretty much the entire world was watching and listening at that moment so a little stage fright can be forgiven if that happened.
Either way his meaning will go down in history.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/onesmall.asp

Very good DIGGER! You get your choice of stuffed animals from the top row, unless you want a goldfish? :laughing:

Tom Hanks? No Way! Sure he we all loved him in Sleepless in Seattle, but he generally performs best as a fluffer like in 'Turner and Hootch' or 'Road to Perdition'..He simply lacks certain technical skills that disqualifies him as a believable astronaut! Thats why this whole Moon Landing thing is a fake! You simply cannot perform a real Moon Landing or do a real Astronaut Space adventure without Mark Wahlburg, Ed Harris, Bruce Willis, Maybe even Geo Clooney?..even though Clooney is an acknowledged pretty boy pansy, he kept his cool in that one space movie thing with Sandra Bullock..even after he was dead..

Of course Kevin Bacon's involvement in some small support role would be important...! WTH? "Buzz Aldrin"? Nobody ever heard of him! Ask anybody who 'Buzz Aldrin' is! Nobody knows! You made that name up didnt you?

The greatest undisputed USA Astronaut of all time is Sigourney Weaver!..She has the most real world experience! Aliens, Avatar, Ghostbusters, Paul, WallE, Galaxy Quest, etc!.:laughing:

Good point Mud !

I maybe should have had Bruce Willis in the pic instead of Tom Hanks, and even included Sigourney Weaver along with one of her "Alien" friends :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Here ya go Mud !!!! :laughing::laughing::laughing:
moon_trip2c.jpg

Good point Mud !

Willis for sure! The Great American Hero! He has saved this Planet how many times? ...maybe Willis and Will Smith go to the Moon for the REAL Walk?? Sponsored by Richard Branson, Elon Musk, and Adidas? ...Hell, throw in Jeff Goldblum for giggles as the scientific Ground Controller to explain whats going on?...

It woulda been a perfect team if Bill Paxton was still around..to add the "Game Over!" emergency kind of back chatter commentary when things went sideways...like the damned old NASA certified GMCR coffee brewer thingy went on the fritz, or somebody accidentally got a scared and lost control, popped the hatch and pist themselves, like Gus Grissom did...:laughing:

FWIW, Nobody knows who Gus Grissom is Nowadays...Or Lance Armstrong...Or freaking Milton Berle or Johnny Carson....Point being, Sooner or later, we all pisss ourselves and lose a Space ship....Like those guys who landed in Egypt a couple thousand years ago, and made the locals build some sort of damn thing.......or Beldar Conehead even...this kind of stuff happens all the time! Like that creepy little botanist ET guy back in the 70's, or in Close Encounters with Richard Dreyfuss?!:laughing::laughing:...One minute the guy had a job, and the next he was diddling around with a plate of mashed potatoes? To what end?

Just saying...Its a hell of a lot easier to act stupid and avoid this kind of Outer Space Visitor deal..Its probably best not to think too much about it and go snatch up some totlot clad and buy some beer or sumpthin' ...Thats what I do..Not like Eric Cartman who had a 60' diameter dish antenna protruding out his coal chute in that one South Park episode...Who needs that?...A 60' dish? Talk about a bastard to GB and the EMI interference!:laughing:

Last edited:
Tom Hanks? Bruce Willis? NO WAY!! Tony Nelson (I Dream Of Jeanie) is the man/astronaut. That is before he got shot down there in Texas (Dallas).

68d5716f4ba1b55386b847d90e3c4a19.jpg

Back
Top Bottom