New detector advice for around the $1,000 budget?

ProfitOfDoom

I got my Ace 250 long ago and used it for a year or two then got out of the hobby,Now after some time I dusted it off and started going out again. I got in contact with a old hunting buddy who belongs to a local club and also join a couple of facebook groups,so may be joining a club and meeting a few new folks which add's up to more detecting and outings,
So long story short,Im in the market for a new detector!

In the past we usually did parks,playgrounds, house property,and beaches occasionally. I dont look for anything in particular,So cant say I need a machine for a specific function.

I looked at a bunch over the last few days or so and I had a few in mind,That I think is on my list of which one to buy,Although im open to any suggestion in my budget area.

Im probably most leaning toward the AT Max. From what I hear it should be out in a few weeks or so,waterproof and comes with wireless headphone,,which I like the sound of. Looks like the At pro was a very popular machine with plenty of good reviews,,so I assume this one should be even better for around the $700 price area. I was thinking of straying away from garrett just to try something new,But some people told me in chat that my ace 250 and the at pro/max are very different and a big step up,,so it will be almost like a new machine.

I also heard the Fisher F75 is a big time trustworthy favorite and should not be over looked,From everything from the performance to the feel of it. Seems like a good choice?

Minelab has a couple of options like a used Etrac or a new safari,I see a ton of people praise the Etrac,But in the same breath I hear alot of people say they are good no doubt,but nothing special that you cant get from another machine at a cheaper price,True? I dont know,,Just what I heard around.

Last on my list but has me interested, Is the Nokta Impact. All the reviews I seen seem to say nothing but good things about it and has alot of bells and whistles and performance that you would find in a more expensive price range. Im not sure of the Nokta brand,but seems to be a solid product from what I been seeing.

I been out of the hobby for sometime,But I see plenty of new machine and brands I havent before,So Im open to anything that is a good all around machine. I probably could do without being waterproof,But If I had one Id give it a shot. Like I said I will more than likely go At Max just because it has alot of features plus closer to my budget. But nothing is final yet,So let me know what you think,,Thanks!

If the Max weren't coming out soon, I'd say go with the Impact. But since the Max IS coming out soon, I say wait a little bit longer for user reviews (and post-pre-order stock) to come and then decide between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Take a very hard look at White's MX sport. I've got one, and am very happy with it

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If the Max weren't coming out soon, I'd say go with the Impact. But since the Max IS coming out soon, I say wait a little bit longer for user reviews (and post-pre-order stock) to come and then decide between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Battery life on the Impact is probably a lot shorter than the Racer 2. And balance......it looks heavier. From everything on the market it ranks up there.....but still going to wait on Fisher/Teknetics next offering to compare.

Fisher/Teknetics is way overdue introducing a new top of the line machine. The F-75 is a great detector, but splashproof and wireless phones are the new benchmark.

As far as salt water machines, nothing new since the FBS/BBS technology and the CZ series. Surely somebody will fill that gap. I know Fisher has already announced that they are working on Pulse Induction technology.

I see a ton of people praise the Etrac,But in the same breath I hear alot of people say they are good no doubt,but nothing special that you cant get from another machine at a cheaper price,True? I dont know,,Just what I heard around.

Oh I don't know about that. I'd say the Etrac is probably the most unique detector out of all the ones you listed. FBS machines are proven deep silver killers! Definitely something special IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For around 1k or less your in used XP Deus territory.
Very hard to beat performance wise, very lite weight and heavily programmable.

I looked in the XP Deus,,Heard they are pretty good,but I dont know looks like you have to charge everything including the coil. I didnt look that deep into it but from what I gather you have to charge the coil,Head Unit,and ear phones.
Just seems like alot to make sure everything is charged all the time,Not to mention looks like a replacement coil is around $500! Ouch!

Im sure its a great machine,but too much going on in that one for me.

A lot of people throw off on the charging of the deus. its really not that much harder than charging a cell phone. Throw it on the charge for a hour or so and your good for 9to 11 hours (all items charge at one time). Its really a big plus , the batteries in those last for years. All items charge at one time.

Ahah. You're not charging the coil you're charging the battery that powers the circuitry and a radio link in the coil.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You have loads of choices.
Just depends on how much you want or have to spend.

Used units will save you some loot.

New units will get you some warranty, some used units can too.

1a. Some units detect to lower depth on average
1b. Some units detect to mid depths on average
1c. Some units detect to deepest levels on average
2a. Some give better ID down to mid depth level targets
2b. Some give better ID down to the deeper(est) levels
3. Some like smaller jewelry better than others.
4. Some like higher conductive coins better than smaller lower conductive targets
5. Some like looser dirt better than others.
6. Some perform better in iron than others.
7. Some offer more possibilities of setting up tones and or tone breaks
8. Some have more tone nuance to pick the good stuff vs junk on average.
9. Some are heavier than others.
10. Some handle better than others.
11. Some are more dependable on average than others
12. Some are easier to run and get peak to near peak performance than others
13. Some have better viewable screens
14. Some are harder on batteries than others
15..Some come with their own batteries, Lipro rechargeables
16. Some are more swing speed forgiving on targets
17. Some allow for more coil height above ground than others
18. Some don't have Ground balance adjustment.
19. Some have iron tone and associated volume adjustment.
20. Some perform better in higher mineral soil
21. Some units a person can meld with easier than some others
22. Some handle emi better on average
23. Some are more sensivite to coil bumps like on weeds and stubble
24. Some have better sounding external speakers, can be both volume and or tone quality
25. Some have a higher demand when sold used if a useer decides to sell
26. Some are waterproof
27. Some are more stable in a salt beach/water environment on average
28. Some have depth meters
29. Some have more accurate depth meters on average
30. Some are internet updatable program wise
31. Some can have detecting patterns and settings loaded via PC
32. Some have very little or no aftermarket coil support
33. Some have more aftermarket battery support
34. Some have no repair support inside USA
35. Some have collapsible rods making them shorter overall
36. Some have less internet info posted as far as use and tips from other users
37. Some have colored screens
38. Some come with multiple coils as a package (usually stock size and smaller)

So look at the list above, pick out what you think you value the most.
List them
Then let the folks here give you their best advice.

Cheers

Btw, the more I think about this here.
This above should probably be a sticky here in this subsection.
I think it would help folks out, and save some time and typing.

Last edited:
Nokta Impact

I got my Ace 250 long ago and used it for a year or two then got out of the hobby,Now after some time I dusted it off and started going out again. I got in contact with a old hunting buddy who belongs to a local club and also join a couple of facebook groups,so may be joining a club and meeting a few new folks which add's up to more detecting and outings,
So long story short,Im in the market for a new detector!

In the past we usually did parks,playgrounds, house property,and beaches occasionally. I dont look for anything in particular,So cant say I need a machine for a specific function.

I looked at a bunch over the last few days or so and I had a few in mind,That I think is on my list of which one to buy,Although im open to any suggestion in my budget area.

Im probably most leaning toward the AT Max. From what I hear it should be out in a few weeks or so,waterproof and comes with wireless headphone,,which I like the sound of. Looks like the At pro was a very popular machine with plenty of good reviews,,so I assume this one should be even better for around the $700 price area. I was thinking of straying away from garrett just to try something new,But some people told me in chat that my ace 250 and the at pro/max are very different and a big step up,,so it will be almost like a new machine.

I also heard the Fisher F75 is a big time trustworthy favorite and should not be over looked,From everything from the performance to the feel of it. Seems like a good choice?

Minelab has a couple of options like a used Etrac or a new safari,I see a ton of people praise the Etrac,But in the same breath I hear alot of people say they are good no doubt,but nothing special that you cant get from another machine at a cheaper price,True? I dont know,,Just what I heard around.

Last on my list but has me interested, Is the Nokta Impact. All the reviews I seen seem to say nothing but good things about it and has alot of bells and whistles and performance that you would find in a more expensive price range. Im not sure of the Nokta brand,but seems to be a solid product from what I been seeing.

I been out of the hobby for sometime,But I see plenty of new machine and brands I havent before,So Im open to anything that is a good all around machine. I probably could do without being waterproof,But If I had one Id give it a shot. Like I said I will more than likely go At Max just because it has alot of features plus closer to my budget. But nothing is final yet,So let me know what you think,,Thanks!

I have been using the Impact myself, very happy with the performance.
MY favorite mode is the VLX1 with the gain around 80-85
Last weekend I found a King George 2, 8 inches down, clear sound.
It really lock in on coins.

http://www.metaldetectors.com/coin-jewelry-metal-detectors/nokta/impact-pro-pack-metal-detector

dennis

If you're hunting modern lunch money then anything will work. If you're hunting gold then a gold specific machine. Maybe you're hunting silver...like David listed above, you almost have to decide what and where you're going to hunt before making a choice about what to buy. Silver coin hunters almost invariably gravitate toward FBS machines. Many good units out there that do a lot of things well. Remember from your early years....LOCATION is the biggest factor in finding what you're after!

another vote here to take a good look at the mx sport...... it truly is a great machine which has been doing VERY well for me.

Back
Top Bottom